The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trapping Gophers; Need all your helpful tips

Using traps is our only option, we won't use bait and the propane Rodenator wasn't effective. My husband simply doesn't have the time to set and manage a bunch of gopher traps, so I'm enlisting a teenage friend with zero experience and starting a Rodent Bounty Program, incentive-based with bonuses for certain numbers trapped etc. Here are some of my questions:
    What sort of gopher traps have you found to most effective? Tips for setting them? How about time of day AM or PM for setting, does it matter? How often should they be checked? Do you put food in there? Are there any links to sites that give good information?
    You get the idea...we're clueless and need some guidance! TIA.
    Last edited by Indy-lou; Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Rat traps baited with peanut butter and sprinkled with birdseed work WONDERS!

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    Rat traps baited with peanut butter and sprinkled with birdseed work WONDERS!
    For rats or gophers? Looking for gopher trap advice

As long as your gophers aren't "super sized" rat traps will take care of them...will kill them instantly...

Our neighbor had good luck with the regular foot trap for gophers, set down int he hole so they had to run past it to get out. He would then go out and shoot them with a .410. Another neighbor had good luck with poison traps set in 18 inches of pvc, around a corner, with the poison inside. We could tell just by driving past her place that they were dying off and we never could tell the difference in the native bird, eagle, cat, coyote, ect population. We've never poisoned; too many cats and such for that.

This is the trap our good neighbor used : http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/duke0long...andweasel.aspx

We also had six cats that could and did kill gophers (oh the gophers I've stepped on half awake on a summer morning ... in the kitchen) and the neighbor had a dachshund that never let up.

You have to study on how to put the traps out-the gophers always have a back door so you have to trap both. My SIL also put out bubble gum and totally could tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    As long as your gophers aren't "super sized" rat traps will take care of them...will kill them instantly...
    Instantly is the preferred method. How do you set the rat traps in the gopher tunnels? Are there any web sites that would show how to do this?

We have had the best luck with the black plastic box trap. It comes with good istructions for setting. You do have to find the main tunnel and not the "side door" though.

We wage war every year because our neighbors do not control the pests on their land, so the little buggers move around.

Good luck!

Kill them early in the year too, before they have their babies!

I only caught one at my house and haven't seen others since I started putting cat litter down the holes and then later filling the holes. Hopefully I won't find any new ones in my front pasture but it worked in the barn and the pastures around the barn
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com