The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    48

    Question Social Networking: Friend vs. Page

    Hi all,

    I have decided it is time to get my breeding farm onto the social networking scene. I would like some opinions based on personal experiences.

    I cannot decide which is best to do - a Facebook Page, where people 'Like' in order to gain access, or to create a Facebook Personal page, where people are 'Friended' to gain access.

    I am not sure which will reach a wider target audience, which is better to update everyone, which is more professional etc. and was wondering if I could get input from people who have had one or the other (or both) and what they liked and/or didn't like about the format.

    Thanks all



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,592

    Default

    Do a business page then share your updates on your personal page.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2013
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I'd agree with doing a page, since you can gear it towards a more business oriented profile and you won't have to deal with the friend request aspect of it. Keep your own Facebook personal, it's nice to keep that dividing line for your own peace of mind


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 28, 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,373

    Default

    My opinion is that a business page is more professional.

    I do share my farm updates on my personal page also, on which I only post things I would tell the ENTIRE universe, so that sort if is the "having it both ways" way of doing things (having both a business/farm page and a personal/networking profile).
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    My opinion is that a business page is more professional.

    I do share my farm updates on my personal page also, on which I only post things I would tell the ENTIRE universe, so that sort if is the "having it both ways" way of doing things (having both a business/farm page and a personal/networking profile).

    I agree, I think it is a good idea to have a farm page and a personal page.
    I only post farm/horse related information on A Fine Romance's FB page.
    He has no political opinions.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2000
    Location
    Southern Pines, N.C.
    Posts
    11,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I agree, I think it is a good idea to have a farm page and a personal page.
    I only post farm/horse related information on A Fine Romance's FB page.
    He has no political opinions.
    But you and he are of one mind. So I am sure his opinions match yours exactly.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    But you and he are of one mind. So I am sure his opinions match yours exactly.


    Yes, he agrees with me completely. , but he prefers to keep his political views private.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    4,766

    Default

    Make a business page. First of all, when I 'like' a company, they can't see my personal page, posts, and such. When I have to 'friend' a company, they can see those items unless I take special steps to limit them. (Which I do, but not everyone knows that.) One additional consideration is that there is a 5,000 friend limit on personal profiles. If you have a large or popular business, you could eventually exceed that number. Then you would have to stop accepting new people or else start all over with a business page.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Thanks everyone

    I was leaning towards the business page, as I do agree it is much more professional. The reason I asked for opinions was because every so often I get friend-requests from farms that made a "friend" page as opposed to the business page.
    Sometimes I do find those annoying and unprofessional, but I have accepted a few that looked OK. Through their "friend hunting" I have actually learnt of a few farms I would have never otherwise heard about.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 8, 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    555

    Default

    I have a page for my farm and I prefer having that to a "friend" page for the above mentioned reasons. I do share some farm updates on my personal page so that helps too!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2012
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Facebook is slowly making changes to monitize it's services. My understanding is that business pages are being targeted for various advertisement charges. While business pages are currently free, I would consider this if I were to implement under Facebook. Business pages may not remain free in the near future.
    I'm not a facebook expert by any means but I do listen to news that moves Facebook stock and they are still under pressure to demonstrate their ability to monitize mobile and business services.
    Just something to think about.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    676

    Default

    I have a personal account and a business account. My main reasoning, to seperate personal and business life. I am slowly transferring all my horse / networking friends over to my business account, and leaving close friends and family on my personal friends. This way i can keep my personal life private and my family doesn't have to see my horse stuff all the time. I had just a "page" for my business, but I find it hard to connect with people like I would like to. Just my two cents.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    My opinion is that a business page is more professional.

    I do share my farm updates on my personal page also, on which I only post things I would tell the ENTIRE universe, so that sort if is the "having it both ways" way of doing things (having both a business/farm page and a personal/networking profile).
    Definitely this. Plus, by having it be a business page, you can take advantage of certain options that wouldn't be available to you if it was a personal page, such as the ability to advertise on facebook, or the "insights" graph they provide (once you reach over 30 likes) that track the attention your page is getting (likes, views, total reach, etc), which is helpful from a marketing standpoint if you'd like to grow your business.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Facebook is slowly making changes to monitize it's services. My understanding is that business pages are being targeted for various advertisement charges. While business pages are currently free, I would consider this if I were to implement under Facebook. Business pages may not remain free in the near future.
    I'm not a facebook expert by any means but I do listen to news that moves Facebook stock and they are still under pressure to demonstrate their ability to monitize mobile and business services.
    Just something to think about.
    This is a good point- I had not considered the possibility.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2013
    Posts
    68

    Default

    How do you ask others to like your page?



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2002
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosebudranch View Post
    I have a personal account and a business account. My main reasoning, to seperate personal and business life. I am slowly transferring all my horse / networking friends over to my business account, and leaving close friends and family on my personal friends. This way i can keep my personal life private and my family doesn't have to see my horse stuff all the time.
    Yes, this is the professional way to do it. Clients and potential clients don't need to be on your personal page and reading about your day at the beach or see pictures of your dog, your rants, etc. I keep just my friends and family on my personal page and have separate pages for my equine businesses. Much more professional that way. As well, having a business page allows people all over the world to view it. They don't have to like the page to see it.

    I've seen a couple of people who use their personal page as their business page and I find it unprofessional to post on there about your crappy day, political views, etc. to people that are professional contacts only. It's tacky
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com



Similar Threads

  1. Networking
    By vacation1 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec. 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
  2. Job Networking Thread
    By Aggie4Bar in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2012, 02:18 PM
  3. Replies: 63
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2011, 07:06 PM
  4. Networking thru Horsey Contacts
    By woodrwo in forum Eventing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 17, 2010, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •