The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Chambon....do you ride with one??

I am wondering how many people do, what is the benefit if you do ride with one, and if you wouldn't ride with one why not?

TIA
    noodles

I have use them and have had good results. My daughter's pony was strong and stubborn and the chambon worked wonders on her. I like them better than draw reins.

VERY dangerous to ride in. And when used to lunge, they work there but do not associate much to undersaddle. The same effect (of forward/down/out/open) can be gotten by proper riding technique to create the same behaviors AND be safe.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Chambon is designed to be used on a longe; the De Gouge (spelling) is designed to be used ridden.

What x said. I was taught that the gogue could be ridden in, but not the chambon.

I use the gogue on the lunge as it gives the horse a range of options, none of which includes poking his nose out and inverting.

Sadly I am not a good enough rider to encourage him consistently into that shape under saddle, but lunging in the gogue helps him build the correct muscles.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

This is what I used for the pony and I have seen several people ride in one with good results. http://www.doversaddlery.com/chambon...FZCDQgoduxIABA

flame suit on...

I've ridden in chambons at the request of owners of horses that I was riding. Didn't like them, but also did not think they did anything either way. I didn't have problems keeping those particular horses "together" with or without the chambon. The horses were only going in them because our mutual (former) trainer had latched on that that as the gimmick of the moment.

Never use one. You can get a better result with proper use of the hand and leg
    Last edited by sarcam02; Feb. 7, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: correct typo to fix hand vs hard

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I don't ride in one - I don't like the idea of being on a horse when I can't "release" their head in an emergency (w/draw reins, de gogue, you can release the pressure). That's just what I feel comfortable with.

But I'll modify sarcam's statement:

You should be able to get a better result with proper use of hand and leg but reality often interferes with what should happen. First off, we aren't all great, second, even the great amongst us (including some legends in their own mind) aren't great all the time, and third, not all horses got the memo about hand and leg. Every "gimmick" got there because it actually worked well for somebody, and that somebody wasn't Joe Nobody in the local show fo rit to catch on.

So I'll use a gimmick now and then, but it has to be a temporary bridge, either because of my failure to properly communicate with the horse or the horse just being one of those who didn't get the memo. Let's face it, that applies to all of us and you have to ride the horse you are on, not the one in the book.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

10 members found this post helpful.

I started a similar thread on this not too long ago and I got some great responses.

This page was an awesome suggestion: http://www.sustainabledressage.net/t...ts.php#chambon
    It fully explains the use of all the "gadgets"

Here is the link to the thread as well: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ght=draw+reins

Neither a chambon or a degouge were designed to be ridden in. And the later allows even less 'escape' for the horse. Sustainable dressage is a great source of logic and traditional knowledge.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Ack, no, never ride in a chambon! Super dangerous.

BUT it's one thing I do love for lunging, as it always rewards the horse for stretching out/forward/down, which is what we want.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Here's the updated link for the Sustainable Dressage chapter on gadgets:
    http://www.sustainabledressage.net/tack/gadgets.php It's good reading.

Chambons and de Gogues have their own subpage.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    I started a similar thread on this not too long ago and I got some great responses.

This page was an awesome suggestion: http://www.sustainabledressage.net/t...ts.php#chambon
    It fully explains the use of all the "gadgets"

Here is the link to the thread as well: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ght=draw+reins
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I have ridden in one, under the supervision of a trainer when I was young. I had a horse with a whole lot of baggage. And this helped her greatly. And I have used it a few times since in certain cases. However they are extremely dangerous, and you really have to know what you are doing. I have never used them for a horse I have started myself, or for 99% of the horse I have trained.

They can be a great tool but they alone will not make you ride properly. You still need to ride back to front, maybe even more so when using one. And you need to have wonderful hands, that can be soft and steady, you must soften the instant the horse does. And that is a skill many riders do not have, and if you have them, you probably wouldn't need to use one in the first place. My advice is to use proper riding instead, and take the time.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

It is a tool, and like any tool it can be good or bad or nothing at all depending on the rider's skill and the horse's issues. I used one quite a bit in the past on a defensive, reactive horse, and often jumped in it. (Gasp!! Call the Gadget Police!)

I wouldn't use one now because I have other tools and skills that I think are more effective, but not everyone does, and I have seen a chambon used effectively by other people. My horses now have never worn a chambon, draw reins, or even martingales- but I don't go around judging other people who use those things. Tools don't produce bad riding- it is there with or without them. Tools *can* exacerbate bad riding, but a chambon isn't going to turn anyone into a serial killer, and bad riding isn't going to get better without external help!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Thanks for the replies.................. Personally, I'd never use one riding.... but at the barn people are doing this....that's why I asked

just trying to figure out if I'm WAY old school or what

n

(what did they answer? THe simple answer is that they have not been given the riding/training skills to be able to ask the horse a question to which they can answer 'yes', so there is a bandaid repair of symtoms rather than treating causes. mho).
    I.D.E.A. yoda