The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Better Than Nike Sneakers

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

2 members found this post helpful.

Really cute! I wonder how/whether they work.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

those are cute!! i wonder if it's just for fun or if it's actually a functional thing?

There used to be company that made those cute little sneakers to help laminitic episodes in horses. I actually looked into them, but at the cost, I bought Boas instead since they seemed more resilient. They were stinkin' cute, though and could be customized. I just tried to Google them, but nothing came up for them.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I have also seen these on a show about seeing eye minis. They wore them in the house and on the streets for traction

Supposedly the Build A Bear sneakers fit mini hooves and stay on pretty well. I think those used are only the sneakers with laces, so you can fit the equine correctly, tighten the shoes down enough. The shoes don't cost much, $6-8, so a cheap item to try out.

Never did Build A Bear myself, so not sure how big the hooves are to fit those shoes. I also heard of the shoes' use being related to Therapy minis, visiting on smooth floored facilities.

As goodhors noted, a lot of mini owners use the Build-A-Bear shoes when they take their horses to nursing home and hospital visits or any place they need to walk on slick floors. Some people also use them for driving on roads, but I believe the short useful life is a given.

Most with smaller minis find that regular road boots are not small enough to fit a tiny hoof (often less than 3 inches). As it is, my maxi-mini (38+ inches) barely squeaks into the smallest sizes normally available.

The BAB boots are cheap and are supposed to work well, but I think Mingus, even if he fit into them, would die of embarrassment if anyone saw him wearing them. He is very proud and DOES NOT do cute.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    There used to be company that made those cute little sneakers to help laminitic episodes in horses. I actually looked into them, but at the cost, I bought Boas instead since they seemed more resilient. They were stinkin' cute, though and could be customized. I just tried to Google them, but nothing came up for them.
    You're probably thinking of Sabre Sneakers:
    http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/sabresneaker1.jpg

Apparently they're not made anymore. I couldn't even find the Sabre Sneaker website, so they probably went out of business.
    Equus Keepus Brokus