The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is a mechanical bull anything like a bucking horse?

Just asking. I've never ridden a mechanical bull, but I know somebody around here can tell me about the experience.

---------------
    I love it when my warmbloods look like thoroughbreds and my thoroughbreds look like warmbloods.

1 members found this post helpful.

It depends on the person controlling the bull!

Its great fun, but I wouldn't exactly call it a prep course for horse bucking. Although I usually beat all my non ridding friends heheheh!

I wouldn't really compare it to a bucking horse, but it's definitely fun. I love waiting for the "big bad" guys to go ride it, then I hop on and whoop their butts! Haha

2 members found this post helpful.

No not really, though agreed ^^ the operator really can have an influence.

The mechanical bull can't arch its back and hump and/or twist like a horse, and mechanical bull operators tend to like to get the bull doing a spin/dive thats a common move for bulls, less common move for horses.

Both have left me sitting in the mid-air plenty of times though
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Depends on the horse. The bull at Gilley's in Pasadena Texas way back before the article appeared in a literary magazine and the movie "Urban Cowboy" was made, was one where we could determine the level of bucking. (We spent 3 weeks out in Houston at a conference, and each night required dancing the texas two step and riding the bull at Gilley's.)

That mechanical bull was not as rough as a TB mare, but was about the level of a big warmblood floating buck.

Oh yeah, and it depended on what we were drinking. Back then, women got free shots of whiskey. That did affect how long we stayed on and how fast we were willing to set the bucking meter.

The good thing about the mechanic bull was the big foam cushions for landing.

Not really but every time I've rode one the controllers have always asked if I rode horses lol. Now my daughter at 10 rode one in the mountains in an Indian town. Controller asked if she rode because she took her up to med high before she could dump her. Lol. She said kids usually don't get off low before they fall.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

It would be weird to ride a buck without trying to STOP it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    It would be weird to ride a buck without trying to STOP it.
    That's what I found when I rode one. A REALLY bizarre feeling. And yes, the bucking was quite different. That darned spinning and dropping a shoulder...
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

It depends so much on the controller.

When the controller makes it buck, I can ride it.

When the controller just whips it around in a flat spin like a record player on warp speed..... wtf.

There's a local bar that has a mechanical bull, I couldn't stay on it, I found it really wide and it was made of smooth plastic (slippery!)
    And I was kind of drunk lol
    But I would say its very different, my horse has been known to act like a bronc at times and I can sit that, most of the time

^^^ that is the #1 reason I would not ride the one here. It has a Fiberglass saddle ...WTF! I asked the operator "since when have you ever seen a cowboy ride in a fiberglass saddle?"
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I think riders have an advantage, but as others said it is stiffer and spinnier than your average horse. And very slippery.

In practice, though, it's really about entertaining the crowd, which is the operator's job. When I have gone they will let attactive women in minimal clothing bounce around a long time before giving them much challenge, and spin off lesser eye candy pretty quickly.

Talking

I say its completely a different experience. Plus getting on from a soft surface is a pain too (especially if the bull is facing up).
    The farm I used to live at had a costume party for halloween in their indoor. They rented a bull.. so fun! Most of the people who rode the bull had horse exp. Some stayed on for a while while others got dumped fast. The operator was pretty fair too.

For your enjoyment- Smurfette riding a bull Spandex does not grip btw!
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...565_9883_n.jpg

DH as Willy Wonka on the bull
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...595_8831_n.jpg
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!