The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cruise

The fam (well me really lol) is thinking about a cruise next CHristmas, I dont know if I want to be on a boat for most of it and its expensive when we could have a week on the beach but everyone says its great. Anyone loved/hated it?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I went on a five-day cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and loved every minute of it! I was never lacking for something to do (or not do, as the case might be), food was almost entirely included unless I wanted to go to the a la carte restaurant or buy alcohol, despite traveling alone I never had an issue finding people to talk to or do things with (especially since if you dine in your class's main dining room on Cunard, you dine with the same people every night.) It was a ton of fun. I'd be bored out of my skull on a beach vacation, but I'd happily go on a cruise again.

Loved it!!!

I went on a Mediterranean cruise last year and didn't like it. I liked the ports we visited, but not the ship. Food was terrible! Lots of other complaints, but I've been told the American cruise lines are better (this was Italian). I think the only one I'd consider going on in the future is an Alaska cruise.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Was it the contra costa?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Was it the contra costa?
    "Costa Concordia" is the ship that grounded. But I was wondering if it was that particular cruise line--I don't know that their hiring practices were as stringent as some! (I'm a big cheerleader for Cunard's White Star Service; yes, they're technically a subsidiary of Carnival now, but the ships have the Cunard feel and that luxury--you're always looked after, never hovered over.)

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    (I'm a big cheerleader for Cunard's White Star Service; yes, they're technically a subsidiary of Carnival now, but the ships have the Cunard feel and that luxury--you're always looked after, never hovered over.)
    Cunard is highly ranked in the Cruise Poll that my magazine publishes every year, so good to hear nice things about them firsthand. I've only ever cruised Royal Caribbean and have had great times every time.

Going to plug the magazine I work for a bit (Condé Nast Traveler), but here's our cruise poll: http://www.cntraveler.com/cruises. It's a nice guide to the best ships and a whole lot of other valuable info for cruise newbies.

We went on a Norwegian last year, island hopping around Hawaii and was not a fan. My family is not a 'cruise-type' (if there is such a thing), more of the dirt camping and whitewater rafting sort. However, the music was way too loud on deck, there was no quick food option for a late night snack, no real pool, kind of outdated, and not a load to do on board if you did not like losing your hearing on deck. However, the food was good, and I loved being able to fall asleep to the rocking

I went on a cruise with my family when I was 17 and hated it. We went from LA to Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo. I felt like a trapped rat for most of the trip. It probably would've been better if I went with friends or was old enough to drink. But even then, we probably spent a total of 16 hours actually in the ports altogether over the 8-day trip. I got so bored being on the ship so long (I think we sailed for 3 days before getting to Puerta Vallarta). I really wished we had just gone to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico since I enjoyed all the ports so much. we definitely didn't get enough time to spend in the cities. On the ship it was too cold to lay by the pool, and it seemed like all there was to do was eat. On the plus side, the food was really good. Just my experience. I know some people really enjoy cruises, but you couldn't pay me to go on another.