The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Deep thigh bruise from being kicked!

It has been 3 weeks since I got kicked by my draft's size 9 hoof. Got kicked square in my thigh. I followed R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation) for 3-4 days.
    It seemed to be getting slightly better, then I pulled it getting out of car. The bruising is almost gone, but a big knot is left and ZERO range of motion.
    Any experiences? Things that helped? I am putting heat on now after reading info. online.
    I had NO idea that this could be so debilitaing without breaking a bone!!!! UGH!!!

The lack of motion range is likely due to a giant hemotoma down close to the bone. Moist heat pad will help alot and its going to take months for all the actual blood/bruise to go away. It will come up in layers a little at a time, for a long time
    As areas of hemotoma dissapate you will get some "snapping" like effect in the muscle as it clears and can finally move properly.. so what will happen is you will be walking along,the muscle clears and when it does you wobble a bit then notice you can move a bit better (think occasional scarecrow walk). A couple months out you can start thinking about stretching the thigh but only after alot of heating it up first. Nothing a doctor can do to make it better faster.

you are Extremely lucky the leg wasn't broken or the femoral artery damaged that would have been tragic.

Good Luck !
    Last edited by jumpytoo; Oct. 20, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: either can't type or can't spell, you decide,lol
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

Yep, I've done that several times, all to the poor left thigh. It takes a long time to heal.

Frequent applications of Sore No More or Blue Emu can help. And exercise, as on an exercise bike.

The dent from my last major hematoma (a first class saddle bronc ride but the horse didn't get the memo about quitting after 8 seconds)- has only just 'filled in' gee, 3 or 4 years later, I guess- thanks to an add on to my little exercise regime I've been doing since March.

At this point, you want to be keeping that area warm and dilated! The more you can increase blood flow to the area with warm packs, the more your body will begin to clear away the debris that is causing the swelling.

And maybe a nice pain killer.

At this point, I would be using heat. If you have any unusual swelling or pain, might be worth a trip to the doc. Don't want to have a clot or anything like that brewing.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Have you had it X-ray'd to be sure? I'd also be worried about a clot.

I was kicked on the outside of my left leg, down low by the calf, quite a few years ago. I had a hairline fracture of the fibula and it took about a year for the bruise to go away completely. I could still walk around and bear weight on the leg normally. I'd never have known it was broken without the X-ray.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Had the same experience on my thigh from being body checked into the corner of the tail gate of the feed truck by a 17.2h ISH while throwing hay to the herd in the field.

I had a painful lump for about 3 months after the bruise faded. The lump then turned into a divit that was noticeable for a year or two, though not painful anymore.

Now there is nothing, but it sure took a looong time to heal fully.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I have one on either thigh - one from a mare in heat going after my gelding and I got in the way - shoe full on and the other from a mare that leaped forward and got me with the front leg.

it's been over 6 months and they still hurt a little - hot tub helps a lot. They take a long time.

I had a similar experience - my Clydesdale caught me with the full flat of her hoof on the inside of my left thigh. She wasn't kicking at me, I was stupidly not paying attention and was standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It took nearly a year before I had free range of motion and full normal use without the occasional unexpected twinge of pain. And, after 9-10 years, I still have a tiny divot at that spot.

As far as suggestions for what to do, aside from the standard RICE at the beginning and heat after that, my doctor pretty much said there was no remedy other than time.

I got knocked down by a yearling once (from behind, didn't see her jump towards me), and her hoof grazed my lower calf muscle.

Made a very large bruise on the muscle, which took a while to heal (month?), and now a year later I still feel a small lump in that spot, which is about 1/3 the size of the original lump.

I would also suggest heat on and off the help the vessels dilate.

I got kicked big time in my thigh. I did what you have done. The bruising even went all the way down to my foot. ICK! It was yellowyish. My leg swelled huge! I was amazed my leg didn't break. Whew.

Takes time. And only you know your leg. Don't over work your muscle until it is healed. Gentle. Took a good many months if I remember correctly for it to ever go away. Was still sore to the touch, even though after time, there was no bruise.

I feel your pain...literally. I was kicked in the thigh eons ago, (like 40+ years) and still have the hoofprint. My left thigh is 1 1/2 inches smaller than the right. I've been told it's adhesions - no discomfort, but a visual reminder. Hope you feel better soon.

UGH! Thanks for the responses, but definitely not what I wanted to hear! Guess my luck ran out after 30 years of being around horses and never being kicked! Just thought I wasn't healing quickly because of ...ummmm ...age!

Just wanted to quickly add - in addition to the heat right now, applying Arnica gel could also help. You can usually find it at health food stores. Can be a little pricey, but I swear by it for bruises and hematomas (both on myself and my horses).
    Sound like yours is pretty severe, though, and it will take a pod amount of time to heal. You might just play it safe and visit the doctor
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Yep, outside of upper thigh, full brunt of the kick. Can't believe my femur didn't snap but I did see it coming so perhaps I had started moving away. Had a melon sized hematoma that turned a foul looking black in couple days. I had a VERY noticeable indentation in my leg for years. Now a can barely find it, must have filled with middle aged fat. lol

I don't remember it being terribly painful. I WAS afraid of blood clots, laid down with my leg elevated with ice immediately after.

I'll second the Arnica. I got kicked in my thigh (right above the knee) last spring. I applied Arnica three times a day and the bruising was gone in just over a week. There was still a hard knot but even that went away with another week or so of application.

Aside from what other people have said; call around to some physical therapy rehab & possibly chiropractor places. Recently, I severely, sprained my ankle after doing the first cartwheel of my 40+ yo life off the side of my horse -- I got overly confident and decided to accelerate and my poor gelding thought this was not my best idea, but reluctantly went along with it. I lost my seat and screamed Whoa in a panic. He stopped instantly. I didn't. Nothing like your horse looking down at you with an expression that clearly said, "I knew this was a bad idea. THIS is not my fault".

Anyway, at the physical therapy place, they had some kind of electroshock therapy thing that is supposed to stimulate healing -- my insurance covered most of the sessions, but I know the place I went to would have had highly negotiable rates for the "shock treatment" as they have the equipment, and the labor is minimal -- stick electrodes on skin and turn on-- then you just sit there unattended for 45 minutes or whatever it was.

The other miracle machine was some kind of "magic light" my chiropractor in Alexandria, VA had. I fell hard on my hand - thanks to dog tangling leash around legs right before my appointment, and you could just see the hellacious black bruising building. Anyway, she had this magic light thing which was purported to help with healing bruises; and she asked me if I wanted to try it for free and report back to her. By the next morning - NOTHING -- could not even see an inkling of ever being bruised / injured. It is the only true miracle Cure thing I have ever witnessed - completely bizarre. Not sure what the official name of miracle light is; but you could call Cornerstone Chiropractic in Alexandria, VA and ask about it and maybe track down somebody local who has one.

Lastly, I think bromelein - taken orally is supposed to help -- more ideas here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...oma-contusion/

Taking hot baths (or hot tub) and frequent gentle massage - more like stroking / rubbing to increase circulation whenever you think about it is probably one of the best ideas -- ultimately your body has to clean it up, and that's a circulation thing, right?
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I had a huge hematoma on the inside of my left thigh when my horse fell sideways onto me - it was actually from the saddle hitting me. I was very, very lucky to have not broken my femur. It was bigger than the size of my fist, so a decent size I would say.

It took a good few months to shrink in size and I have a pocket of scar tissue there now. I used magnets off and on, warm compresses, and I massaged the area frequently. It was really bizzare, I could put 'dents' in it that would take a while to flatten out (I guess from the congealed blood?).

The only time it bothers me now, 10 years later, is when I ride for more than 2 hours or so. The scar tissue is probably the size of a golf ball. My foot will go numb / pins and needles because of the pressure it puts on the nerves of that leg when I'm riding. Annoying, but not serious.

I'd def do whatever you can (with doctor's advice of course) to try and get that shrunken down in a reasonable time frame.

I can tell you that when I broke my femur in half, the bruise on my inner thigh where the bone poked into all of the muscle/soft tissues on the inside of my leg took approximately 2 years to go away (and I was young at the time - 14 when I broke it).

Not quite the same thing, but very deep bruising takes forever to go away.

There's also a condition called compartment syndrome. Although not typical in a thigh, it can happen there. When a friend of mine was kicked by a horse, that's what the doctors were most worried about. This is not something to mess around with. Check with your doctor.