The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

My sainted departed mother once told me she learned every swear word she knew from me. I know, I'm a class act.

But really, not at work, not in public, but otherwise feck yes.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I have been known to conjugate said Word thoroughly by 7:45 in the morning; or sooner, in the context of 65-lb. wire bales. Fortunately, usually only the horses can hear me, though some joggers might think I have Tourette's.

Just make sure you give it a bit of wit--you're a horse person, after all!

F*&# no! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

3 members found this post helpful.

I prefer son of a ........ It's easier to stop before the actual vulgar word in case you accidentally start letting one loose in inappropriate company
    Quarry Rat

F$ck yea it is!

Yes, I curse. A lot. But only with the people I know also curse. I have a daughter, I do not curse in front of her. I do not curse in front of kids, I would NEVER curse in public unless I fell and broke my leg.

Ok I lied. When I am jumped out of the tack I sometimes yell the f-bomb.

1 members found this post helpful.

No.

If one uses it in daily conversation it does lose its impact and people sound like morons who use it as every other word. I use it rarely and when I do it is because I have steam coming out of my ears. People pay attention when I use it and the word has its full impact. I do say son of a gun, for pet's sake, gosh darnnit, fuddruckers.

I found the easiest way to cure my SO's potty mouth is not through nagging but through annoying him. When he refers to something as f**n such as the f**n car, I proceed to ask him what kind of car was it? After doing this a few times, he stops using the word because the conversation is taking too long.

I use it, and use it more frequently when I've spent time with one of my male friends (who has a vocabulary that could make a sailor blush) since everything he does tends to rub off on me.

I do not, however, curse in front of - or at - children. In fact, I don't curse at anyone. I don't curse in public, only among friends in a private setting. Also, when I'm driving

As to whether or not cursing frequently is indicative of poor/shallow vocabulary... friend mentioned above is a biomed engineer, so is hardly unintelligent or lacking in vocab.

Nope, never. Not even the voices in my head use it. I find it vulgar and think less of people when I hear them use it. Lower intelligence, not graceful at all. I certainly wouldn't be friends or date someone who used it.

What intrigues me is that the word signifies that which men cherish above all else...sex...and yet use it in the context of the worse possible thing that could happen to them: when something is all __________ed up. It's an oxymoron to me.

2 members found this post helpful.

I do, not in front of kids, and not in general public unless something truly odd happens that requires such a word

but I work in an office that has many men and they use heavy machinery and lots of electricity, we all cuss, some more than others though

usually my phrase is " you have got to be fecking kidding me" in an act of frustration , "son of a biscuit" is another favorite and the old reliable "crap"

Quote Originally Posted by RLastInstallment View Post
    I use it, and use it more frequently when I've spent time with one of my male friends (who has a vocabulary that could make a sailor blush) since everything he does tends to rub off on me.

I do not, however, curse in front of - or at - children. In fact, I don't curse at anyone. I don't curse in public, only among friends in a private setting. Also, when I'm driving

As to whether or not cursing frequently is indicative of poor/shallow vocabulary... friend mentioned above is a biomed engineer, so is hardly unintelligent or lacking in vocab.
    Then not having any class would be the next best excuse..

I can't believe that there are people who are actually PROUD that they curse a lot. Why not just hang a sign on yourself saying " I have no class or social skills"?
    And being military/married to military, or around men is no excuse. I was in the military for 8 yrs, and spent 12 yrs in the car business managing car dealerships (a mostly male environment). That doesn't make someone curse, unless you just don't care, or have no class. I guess it's just in how you are brought up.
    And that's not to say I might not "think" a swear word, when appropriate, or ever say one, but it's very rare. But the people I associate with are pretty much the same way.

It's all a choice. My dad was an auto mechanic in a dealership. He never use foul language. My son was in the Navy and he would never use even the mildest curse words. My husband relies on "rats. rats and mice. rats and mice and other furry rodents".

We never discussed whether it was right or not right...we just don't use those words.

I think the whole concept of curse/swear words is inane. Who said they were "bad' in the first place? Societal conditioning at it's finest. blech. Oh you guessed it, I swear a lot. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Then not having any class would be the next best excuse..

I can't believe that there are people who are actually PROUD that they curse a lot. Why not just hang a sign on yourself saying " I have no class or social skills"?
    And being military/married to military, or around men is no excuse. I was in the military for 8 yrs, and spent 12 yrs in the car business managing car dealerships (a mostly male environment). That doesn't make someone curse, unless you just don't care, or have no class. I guess it's just in how you are brought up.
    And that's not to say I might not "think" a swear word, when appropriate, or ever say one, but it's very rare. But the people I associate with are pretty much the same way.

Then without class we must be! As I said, I don't curse in public, so I don't consider that to be a lack of social skill. I'm just a horrible, class-less person.

Quote Originally Posted by RLastInstallment View Post

Then without class we must be! As I said, I don't curse in public, so I don't consider that to be a lack of social skill. I'm just a horrible, class-less person.
    If it's just you and your friend talking together, and you both curse, I'm not referring to that. Sorry to make it seem so. I am referring to people who curse in public, or at people, or in groups of people. Not just 2 people who both swear talking together out of earshot of anyone else

No need to appologize. At all.

I was brought up to not curse in public, ever. I don't even curse in front of my parents, even though they let fly at home and I'm an adult. Everyone has their own way of expressing themselves, and I'm fine with that.

I have an enormous vocabulary, but there are some instances where the f-word is just flat out satisfying. That said, I've only ever cursed at someone once in my life and I regret it to this day. As I get older, my language gets less salty except in times of great fear (see a snake and the like) and then I have a full on Tourette's come apart.

As for random people dropping the F-bomb continuously in public, I find it incredibly jarring and off-putting.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I dunno.

I think it's kinda classless to call others classless.

And that was just as much fun to say as the f-bomb .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

4 members found this post helpful.

I used F*** all the time. It just has been around me when I was growing up with my father saying it about every ten minutes and I just say it. Around kinds I say Freaking or Flarney.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Daily. But not like this http://youtu.be/MdZPgOVG94Q
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati