The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I tend to use it more when I'm talking to myself (topic for another thread) and especially when driving. But otherwise, I don't much. I like to think that when I *do* use it, it has more impact that way.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I just saw Jersey Boys in London. Every other word was the f word.

1 members found this post helpful.

In my professional life no, but personal life yes. I'm the daughter of a construction worker, and the wife of one. Comes with the territory.

Slightly off topic, our new mule's name is Halfass, yes I know, technically correct. However, I have informed my husband he must have a nickname ASAP, as I don't want my son to have to deal with the fall out when someone at preschool askes him in a few years what his animals names are. I can see it now..... Chance, Shadow and Halfass. I really don't want to try to explain that one to the teacher.

Rider, that reminded me of when I was younger, there was a family that had a dog named "dammit" a few berths down from my uncle's houseboat. It was quite the sight seeing their little girls running around yelling the dogs name over and over and over and over....

My BO got DH a creative cussing book for Christmas, and that's been a lot of fun since we have a little one and I can't drop the 'f-bomb' 800 times a day like I used to. I have, admittedly, the worst mouth when I get excited about something. I'm trying really hard to curb the habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

When I'm mad or upset or feeling ignored I use it like a weapon... normally I don't use it and find it crass and unimaginative and all that (I have an English degree too) but when I'm upset I literally feel myself take it out of the holster and USE it. Not proud but it's better than punching walls.

As a teacher, no, not on campus. But in the off hours? F**k yeah!

It's just a word, and a darn amusing one to (fellow middle school teacher) hubby and me. We can get pretty creative. (My latest fav is "Holy Frankenf**k!")

BTW, our last anniversary was steel. Hubby got me a piece of art--a steel letter F attached to a mock-up steel bomb. Yup, hubby gave me the f-bomb for our 11th anniversary, and I love it!
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

2 members found this post helpful.

Amongst the deadly sins to use the F word, right up there with gd. Until I spent 6 months in England taking the BHSAI course. Oh the lovely combinations that flowed so lovely off one's tongue. Then returned to small town GA in the mid-70's I learned quickly to watch what was said.

Of course nothing is said in front of the parents, Dad who used curse words as adjectives, adverbs, nouns and verbs. . . Mom who shocked me once by saying damn.
    Funny one is eldest brother, who cursed more than Dad - military plus he enjoyed shocking people, once complained to our Mother that Dad had to stop cursing because brothers 4 yo daughter was picking up bad language from him. Mom advised brother dear to listen to himself for a while and then get back to her.

I do my best to avoid cursing in front of people instead saying wordy durd over and over. Words do pop out, usually to catch someone's attention.
    When by myself, F me is my favorite phrase.
    One brother and I use to try to insult without using curse words. Usually resulted in endless laughter.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I was a bartender for years. If anyone has worked in a restaurant environment, cussing is second (maybe first) nature.

I'll cuss at work where I know the other people aren't offended. I've reined it in lately because I have some new co-workers - don't know if it would offend them since I don't know them well. I wouldn't ever let fly at Walmart or around people I didn't know and certainly not around kids. I think the worst that might come out of my mouth at Walmart (if I dropped something heavy on my foot or something) would be "damn it" and even then, I'd hope there were no kids around.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My grandmother taught English for 40-odd years and even she dropped the F-bomb when driving (or, more frequently, doing her sewing.)

I use it. I know when not to use it. If I feel the need to beg pardon for my Anglo-Saxon, I have effed up my choice of company in which to use it.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Depends on the company I'm in. I do try to avoid it and other curse words. The English language has far more eloquent and creative ways of expression.

However, years ago, I was out fox hunting. We were at a check and a hound went between me and a horse that had its hindquarters facing me. That horse tried to kick at the hound (!!!!!), missed and kicked me just below the knee. My reaction was a very loud F**K.

It raised a few eyebrows, but the Field Master said "you are forgiven." Looked at the other rider and said "you, however, are dismissed". Trying to kick a hound is unforgivable. Cursing (loudly) in that case was apparently forgivable.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I use the word frequently - in my head, to my friends, etc.

But I never, ever say it in front of my parents, superiors, coworkers... I sure as hell would not say it in front of a baby. I don't even let people say it on my facebook wall.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    Ass is my favorite. I use "arse" around my girls, or "Toín" which is the Irish word for "butt" and shite (with or without the "e") is my other favorite. I pull out the F bomb in rare occasions. I do tend to use "feck" more than well, you know then other one.
    I do love the Irish alternatives for cursing. "Feck" can be quite eloquent.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I must confess also that I have one major lapse in the "appropriate language for public" rule: professional sporting events. I will swear at Sabres games. I know there are kids and easily offended people and so on, but I can't help myself. If you go to a place where people are gathered to drink beer and watch a team that manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as frequently any Buffalo professional sports team does on such a regular basis, you have to expect to hear a certain amount of agonized "THE F***!" screamed in your general vicinity. Also, in hockey, you're paying to watch grown men pummel each other every couple of minutes, so you shouldn't be bringing your delicate sensibilities. If there's a small child right in front of me or something, I'll try my best to curb it, but I will hate the parents of the child for making me repress my rage.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I use the f-word pretty regularly but what you saw at Walmart was COMPLETELY unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Sounds like a Mother of the Year.
    This.

It will come out of my mouth occasionally as a pain response (as in "OH F***" when my pony kicked me in the ribs and dropped me to the ground) or when I'm REALLY MAD. Then it's used as a weapon.

I think that people who can't form a sentence without it need to expand their vocabulary, or listen to a recording of themselves talking. They sound like idiots.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Ahhh - one of my most favorite words!

I started swearing like a sailor while I was away at college - my mom asked if I had mistakenly enrolled in truck driving school as opposed to a small southern woman's college!

I do say it a lot, but never at work, in public, or around children. But get me with my friends and I am a dirty bird!

And growing up the worst I ever heard my mother say was "Holy Shitballs!" once when she had to slam on the brakes in the car.

I'm from Boston. As you may have noticed from movies such as "The Departed," the F word is a major part of our vocabulary. We use it in the noun, adjective, verb and adverb forms, sometimes all in the same sentence.

This is how it's done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVxxDihzFw
    Last edited by Eclectic Horseman; Feb. 7, 2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add link
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

2 members found this post helpful.

The Walmart situation was totally unacceptable.

With kids in the house, the F bomb is reserved for private conversation or when i'm alone talking to myself.

I particularly enjoy using it to exhibit frustration as part of a sighing one word expletive. Being only one syllable, it really lends itself to such use while exhaling in exasperation. <arriving home after returning the rented RugDoctor and seeing that the dog has gotten into garbage and there are coffee grounds in the white carpet you JUST cleaned> "Faaaahhhhhccccckkkkk."
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I use the F word quite often in normal conversation (klassy, I know) with people I know well and this will cause some friends to start using swear words more often in response, without even realizing it. They'll say something like "wow, why am I swearing so much today?" I kept hearing that so much from different people I realized it was me and my bad swearing habits rubbing off on people when they're around me. So now I just reply "oh it's just because you're around me, I have that effect on people."