The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The f-bomb----is it part of your everyday conversation?

I guess I am showing my age. I am offended by the use of the f-bomb. Younger people seem to use it quite frequently, so is it considered part of everyday language now and not considered on the vulgar side?

I just came back from Walmart where a young person, probably in her early 20s, was yelling "you f..ing better not throw that! YOU BETTER NOT F...ING THROW THAT!!!" Said to probably a 2-3 year old little girl in a stroller.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use the f-word pretty regularly but what you saw at Walmart was COMPLETELY unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Sounds like a Mother of the Year.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

12 members found this post helpful.

I agree with you. Mucho overused, & while occasionally understandable, your offense to it is definitely not because you're "showing your age".

Do I use it? Yup. Do I use it constantly & in mixed company or when I'm out & about? No. Folks who do simply either haven't been brought up with proper manners or don't have the education to express themselves in a civil manner - even when pissed off.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm not offended, but I do think excessive cussing is tacky.

6 members found this post helpful.

Fairly often (no doubt helped by British friends who use it quite freely as apparently it's not as horribly, automatically-R-rated offensive there). That, though, reminds me of a conversation at work the other day, where my two coworkers (the other two line cooks, my allies against the servers and the chef) were talking about more or less that--ie their parents having said "Stop swearing, dammit!" We were actually attempting to create a way to say it that would incorporate pretty much every common American English swear word...

Though the first time I ever used the word in front of my mother (she was not impressed), it was while riding Old OTTB. He could be frustrating....

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Fairly often (no doubt helped by British friends who use it quite freely as apparently it's not as horribly, automatically-R-rated offensive there). That, though, reminds me of a conversation at work the other day, where my two coworkers (the other two line cooks, my allies against the servers and the chef) were talking about more or less that--ie their parents having said "Stop swearing, dammit!" We were actually attempting to create a way to say it that would incorporate pretty much every common American English swear word...

Though the first time I ever used the word in front of my mother (she was not impressed), it was while riding Old OTTB. He could be frustrating....
    When I use it you know you EFFD up big time! The next step in the wrong direction will cause bodily harm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Unfortunately it is. I have a potty mouth. However context has a lot to do with whether or not it ,is as offensive. I am rather soft spoken and somewhat monotone, so I dont yell alot. I certainly would not yell or speak it to a child like that. And I do try to watch my mouth, but what can I say it slips. I am admittedly so a potty mouth , but I would have found that scene you described very distasteful.
    And no you are not showing your age. Good manners are ageless.

2 members found this post helpful.

I use it on rare occasion when the situation is really bad. But it is far overused these days and I don't know what people hope to achieve by throwing it out in casual conversation...do they think it makes them sound more grown up or tough? I don't know. If I use it I am generally not in hearing range of anyone else.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Do I use it? Yes -- but I also know how to turn it off in particular company. I don't curse in public, around children, people I don't know, etc.

Used to live next to a lady who could not - I swear - formulate a sentence without using the f-word. Could. Not. Stand. Her.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Very rarely. I will not swear around kids under 18 yrs, or older people, no matter what. If I am telling a story to a peer, or my DH, and it is relavant to the story I will occasionally say a cuss word.
    To me swearing in general is like admitting you lack the intelligence to choose a more appropriate word or you aren't very literate.

12 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty much with jetsmom.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I "code-switch" and taught my students (inner-city high school) the same... how you talk around your friends needs to be a different language than the way you talk in public, in school, in interviews, etc. If they swore in my hearing they had to do ten pushups. I told them I swear like a sailor around my friends, but that I shut that area of language off when I walk into school in the morning.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

10 members found this post helpful.

I third jetsmom, great post

Me, personally, no. I talk to a lot of people in my job and can't really be that unprofessional.

Our household, however, that's a big effin' yes. Mr. Heinz and most of his friends are military, so my ears have become a bit deaf to the swearing of sailors and men (always prefaced or followed by "pardon my language, m'am").
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

3 members found this post helpful.

I think in a factory setting its more or less required?
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I was raised by a parent who cussed like three sailors, including at and around me at a young age.

I am married to a sailor.

I am a police officer, where I am exposed to language on a regular basis, most of my peers are retired sailors, and honestly...sometimes you just have to drop a naughty word.

I have a degree in English, so hardly illiterate. But yes, I have an extreme potty mouth, but I don't drop it on Susie Homemaker or her kids. And the f-bomb is my fav.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

10 members found this post helpful.

Ya I use it pretty regularly, it seems to be common at horse shows. I know when I came home after three weeks of showing at Spruce Meadows when I was 18 my parents said I swore like a trucker. I can't say that working on a show jumping yard in Ireland has made it any better...at least I never started saying c***.

I personally don't use it a lot. It's frequent use does not offend or bother me in the least.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by SlamDunk View Post
    Ya I use it pretty regularly, it seems to be common at horse shows. I know when I came home after three weeks of showing at Spruce Meadows when I was 18 my parents said I swore like a trucker. I can't say that working on a show jumping yard in Ireland has made it any better...at least I never started saying c***.
    Yeah, that word seems to be used a lot across the pond (I'm thinking of a couple movies with it in there...) LOL!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I have a degree in English, so hardly illiterate.
    Likewise. And frankly, the "swearing is indicative of a limited vocabulary" argument really doesn't hold water. Think about it--the "f" word isn't used as a substitute for ten-cent, must-look-up-in-the-dictionary words. It's used to indicate extremes ("There is no effing way I'm going out with him") or as an alternative to words like "messed" or "screwed" (That situation is really effed up"). "$hlt" is a synonym for poop/feces/crap/etc. Look at George Carlin's "seven dirty words." By and large they are synonyms for perfectly commonplace terms that even a child would know.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

3 members found this post helpful.