The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    thank you wsmoak!!

Sadly, I do not know what Atom or RSS feed is, but I will find out!!
    At a minimum, it's just a text file that you publish with your website. There's an example in the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(standard)

Then my Google Reader fetches that file and decides whether there's anything new since the last time it looked, and if so it shows up in my list of things to read.

Usually it's automatically generated by the platform you're using, like Wordpress, etc. If (as it looks like) you're using software that generates static html, then there's nothing on the server to magically generate the file, and you'd need to make it part of what gets uploaded with your site.

You're doing fine. You'll learn *way* more this way and have more control over your site than if you paid someone.

PM me if you want to play with it 'by hand' and I'll help you get the file started, so you can edit it from there.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Thank you for your help!

Apparently my host can do RSS feed so I will look into making that available. Right now I'm having issues with log in passwords even though I try to keep track of it!!

This old dog is getting really confused trying to learn new tricks!!
    It's a good thing I'm stubborn or I would have given up already.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it!!

I haven't written any fanfic since the days of Harry Potter. Loved doing it then but haven't even thought about writing any since. Your comment about it brought back good memories.

Currently proofing and revising a YA novel, toying once again with my idea for a horse story, wondering if I want to finish my "grownups'" novel (for and about adults but not "adult"), and procrastinating over a Lenten Bible study with the excuse to myself that it's not even Shrove Tuesday yet so why stress?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLady View Post
    I self-published my first book (a funny one for dog lovers featuring my portraits of and irreverent haiku "by" 36 irreverent dogs) in December and am now writing a design doc for a game derived from the book.

Fiction writing sounds like so much fun...and considering how much sci fi I read, you'd think I'd enjoy writing it. But despite a pretty well developed plot that's been rolling around in my head for a few years, I tried NaNoWriMo and after six days had to admit that the novel writing process is the most tedious and unfun thing I think I've ever tried! My respect for anyone who can get a novel written even in draft form went up significantly as a result.
    Can I ask what it was that made you come to that conclusion? NaNoWriMo can be very daunting! I have a friend who does it every year, and she always wants me to try it, but I just can't. The pressure is too great. But I love writing and I do it all the time. I just don't like to follow that structure, I guess. Give it a go w/o NaNoWriMo and see if it works better for you. Writing should be fun, not tedium!

Ironically, an article about Emergency Preparedness for horse owners, in the middle of a blizzard.

1 members found this post helpful.

I sort of did NaNoWriMo last year - except not officially. It was just a personal challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I sort of succeeded - 56,000 words in 30 days, but it took 42 days to finish the novel at just under 74,000 words. It would be classified as fan fiction, but it actually started as an exercise to rewrite a movie (in script form) that I thought should have been good, but was really bad. When I went back to edit the script I decided to write it in novel form so I could include all the back story I created to give the characters motivation for their actions. I'm rolling that story around in the back of of my mind right now to see if I can use all of my original work to create a new story.

I am actively writing a fantasy novel right now. It's been hanging around and getting scenes written since high school, and after writing that other novel I decided to go for it. I spent most of January working through the snowflake method on it http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php (I skipped step 9) and now I'm hammering at the first draft - using a "write 50,000 words in 30 days" challenge to motivate me. I am not tracking to the 1667 words a day at the moment, but I am not so far behind that I couldn't catch up. The snowflake method really clarified the story, and gave me a very good framework to build on.

MuleLady - give the snowflake method a look and see if might work for you. My rolling around since high school novel was going nowhere until I tried it.

The last thing I finished was a Farscape fan fic.

I'm slowly re-writing my urban fantasy novel. It was a Nano and I decided that the ending didn't work. I'm about half way through.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

anybody have a word count tracker like on naNo?
    I find it motivating to see the progress in a graph, the good and the bad, like when you can't write for a week, then your creative juices go into overdrive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I wrote a novella for my honors english class last year but not much since. I'm currently working on a short story for a school contest, in theory. In practice, I'm liking the idea of entering the contest but not the actual writing associated with it- major writers block!