The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just finished my latest Pointing Dog Journal column and getting ready to start on the next one. And the book we've been working on forever o dog training is ready to go to press just as soon as Rick gives the OK.

I'm impressed by all you fiction writers - such creativity and stamina required! I spend all my time writing philosophical analyses of political history, which will be read by perhaps 10 people each (perhaps that's a good thing though). After a long spell of writer's block I'm finally feeling motivated and I've got two articles near completion... next up is a follow-up monograph if I can secure the funding for more transatlantic archive work. More likely though that I'll sink back into apathy once the weather starts to get warmer!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Lol, Lost_at_C, I always wish I could do technical writing or history or something academic but I do not have the patience or dilligence for it. All I have to do for fiction is make stuff up! (Well, yes, research, but I don't have to cite anything or do footnotes...)

1 members found this post helpful.

My master's thesis on survivalism in post-apocalyptic literature of the nuclear era and today. Got 10 pages due on Feb. 15.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

A bunch of articles for magazines which are due soon (all of my freelance work seems to always have the same deadlines).

I SHOULD be working on grad school applications. No energy as of yet to do the last two.

I've been working on the plot of my second novel for a year now; it's time to sit down and write it. Thinking about doing so tomorrow (once the articles are all done).

I self-published my first book (a funny one for dog lovers featuring my portraits of and irreverent haiku "by" 36 irreverent dogs) in December and am now writing a design doc for a game derived from the book.

Fiction writing sounds like so much fun...and considering how much sci fi I read, you'd think I'd enjoy writing it. But despite a pretty well developed plot that's been rolling around in my head for a few years, I tried NaNoWriMo and after six days had to admit that the novel writing process is the most tedious and unfun thing I think I've ever tried! My respect for anyone who can get a novel written even in draft form went up significantly as a result.
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

I'm updating my blog regularly, which is always a win in my world.

Editing my two "published" books for Kindle release. The publisher went out of business, which is why "published" is in quotes. The books are still available so long as there are people willing to sell their copy. So, Kindle it is!

And... still not really working on the 50k words I put together for NoNovWriMo in 2011 - so over a year and no movement. Bad writer! Bad writer!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    I'm updating my blog regularly, which is always a win in my world.

Editing my two "published" books for Kindle release. The publisher went out of business, which is why "published" is in quotes. The books are still available so long as there are people willing to sell their copy. So, Kindle it is!

And... still not really working on the 50k words I put together for NoNovWriMo in 2011 - so over a year and no movement. Bad writer! Bad writer!
    LOL, I haven't touched the 2010 nor 2011 yet...
    (but then again, I am just a wannabe )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have a prequel to my first novel out on submission at a small traditional publisher. First one is Lead Poisoning http://www.amazon.com/Lead-Poisoning...Lead+Poisoning The one out on submission is called Stress Fractures, and I'm polishing a third in the series called Frostbite. They're all crime fiction.

I didn't realize there were so many other writers here!

I'm currently doing the . . .um . . . umpteenth revision of my urban fantasy set in Oxford, but at least I think I know exactly what needs to happen and what themes need to be brought out now. It's the first in what I think is a five-book series, so it has to be exactly right. It's still clocking in at more than 150,000 words, so I have a ways to go.

I need to be doing resumes and picking writing samples for online history writing jobs, and writing course procedures for new history classes for fall. But I want to get this revision done first. My friend will be giving me her novel to beta read in a few weeks, so I want to be done by then.

40,000 words in to the first of my fantasy trilogy, but writing ad copy for half a dozen universities to pay the (horse's) bills.

I've been going on "urban writing retreats" here in London run by a wonderful, wonderful woman who bakes goodies for all of us -- if any of you are local to East London, I highly recommend joining us!

I just started writing a blog to practice my writing, it is in my sig. Since I take classes online writing has become a much more important part of my life and I needed a place to practice, the suggestion actually came from here :-) I love to read and play with writing but I have never done anything serious. Hopefully one day I will get around to it.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Does a website count?

I finally decided to abandon the idea of writing a book and instead have a website.

No fiction (well, considering how some of the Cothers we knew and loved ended up being (ahem) *fiction*), my website is a compilation of ideas and things I've learned or come up with over the years of owning a small horse farm and a few competition horses.

I get so excited when I discover a new way to do things and I really needed an outlet and audience to share it with! No one in my family is involved with the horses and I thought the website would be fun. It sure has made the cold and dreary winter days go by faster. It's also nice to finally be able to actual work on something rather than "when I write my book..."

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, I haven't touched the 2010 nor 2011 yet...
    (but then again, I am just a wannabe )
    Unfinished work is a new genre ... I'm a wannabe, too!

I have several writing ideas in my mind which include a children's book, paper for the journal of polymorphous perversity (a spoof of a scientific journal), articles for the Onion, a novel, and a book on body image and healthy eating. But most days I write progress notes and treatment plans for the fine fellers for whom I provide psychological services at the nearby State Prison!!! Never a dull moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    I have several writing ideas in my mind which include a children's book, paper for the journal of polymorphous perversity (a spoof of a scientific journal), articles for the Onion, a novel, and a book on body image and healthy eating. But most days I write progress notes and treatment plans for the fine fellers for whom I provide psychological services at the nearby State Prison!!! Never a dull moment.

I am sure they give you material enough for the next thriller...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    Does a website count?

I finally decided to abandon the idea of writing a book and instead have a website.
    [...]
    I get so excited when I discover a new way to do things and I really needed an outlet and audience to share it with! No one in my family is involved with the horses and I thought the website would be fun. It sure has made the cold and dreary winter days go by faster. It's also nice to finally be able to actual work on something rather than "when I write my book..."

http://thepitchforkchronicles.com
    I took a quick look around and it looks interesting and useful! Please consider adding an Atom or RSS feed so that I can see when you add new content. (Or, point it out if it's there and I missed it...)

I'm not likely to return to the site and hunt around to see if there's anything new, but I'd love to see an item in my feed reader when you put up a new page/article or update one and would then click through to see it.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

thank you wsmoak!!

Sadly, I do not know what Atom or RSS feed is, but I will find out!!

I guess I could always do it "old school" and send you a PM when I update it!(haha)

I had the choice of paying someone highly recommended to do my website but it is more than I have to spend right now. I wish I had the money because I am sooo clueless about this that it's quite embarassing!

I don't mind the slow process of writing and loading photos-that part is fun. It's the trying to figure out all the other things that has me exhasperated!

I blame it all on college. When I went to college in the late 70s/early 80s, I remember friends taking computer science classes. I can remember horror stories of FORTRAN (don't know what that means but I remember the name!) and how these poor people had the machine eat their cards and they stayed up all night rewriting so they wouldn't fail the class. I swore then and there that I would avoid computers at all costs!

You can see how well that worked for me...

thank you wsmoak!!

I guess I could always do it "old school" and send you a PM when I update it!(haha)

I had the choice of paying someone highly recommended to do my website but it is more than I have to spend right now. I wish I had the money because I am sooo clueless about this that it's quite embarassing!

I don't mind the slow process of writing and loading photos-that part is fun. It's the trying to figure out all the other things that has me exhasperated!

I blame it all on college. When I went to college in the late 70s/early 80s, I remember friends taking computer science classes. I can remember horror stories of FORTRAN (don't know what that means but I remember the name!) and how these poor people had the machine eat their cards and they stayed up all night rewriting so they wouldn't fail the class. I swore then and there that I would avoid computers at all costs!

You can see how well that worked for me...
    LOL, but back then you actually needed to know what you were doing! great, right!

thank you wsmoak!!

At a minimum, it's just a text file that you publish with your website. There's an example in the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(standard)

Then my Google Reader fetches that file and decides whether there's anything new since the last time it looked, and if so it shows up in my list of things to read.

Usually it's automatically generated by the platform you're using, like Wordpress, etc. If (as it looks like) you're using software that generates static html, then there's nothing on the server to magically generate the file, and you'd need to make it part of what gets uploaded with your site.

You're doing fine. You'll learn *way* more this way and have more control over your site than if you paid someone.

PM me if you want to play with it 'by hand' and I'll help you get the file started, so you can edit it from there.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick