The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I can usually be patient with people and flip through a tabloid or screw around on my phone, but when DD is screaming her head off and the people in front of me are chatting with the cashier about nothing, I get a little snippy. Nobody wants to listen to the kid scream and usually I'm the one getting the dirty looks and apologizing to people.

The old folks kill me, I usually try to pick up as much of their tab as I can. DH once left an open check for an older couple behind us, and it was the best thing pretending to flip through the Netflix machine while watching their reaction. You never know when you are going to make a person's day!

FWIW, I don't think that the OP was having a meltdown, I think she was just annoyed... rightfully so!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have to share the story that haunts me to THIS day, despite it happening like 10 years ago.

Do you know that one version of BNL's "If I Had a Million Dollars" where there's a part about an old lady and a Fruit Rollup ("A little tiny fridge, and maybe I can direct that old lady up there. Oh, the Brinestreet Theatre, its right up that ladder lady. Welcome to the Brinestreet Theatre. Have a fruit roll up. Aren't you gonna eat it? Oh for Christ's sake!")

Ok, so I had that in my head when DH and I were in line. And I'm usually pretty oblivious when I'm in my head, so I'm bopping along to the song, and that part comes into my head, and I'm bopping, and the next thing I know, there's a gasp and DH, the cashier, and the man in front of me are STARING at me - apparently I busted out w/ "Oh for Christ's sake!" OUT LOUD, just as the guy in front of me was apparently slowly pulling out coin after coin to pay for a pack of DIAPERS. I was MORTIFIED. I tried to explain that I was singing, not cursing, but I'm not sure the cashier or guy believed me - DH knows me well enough to know I'd never say something like that, even if I were impatient!

I still feel horrible. Inadvertently cursing some innocent shopper.

(I probably should not be allowed in public - more recently I almost got thrown out of Shaw's for kicking the automatic checkout machine because it was flipping out over my reusable bag, despite me telling it I was using one! I save my fury for inanimate objects!)
    Last edited by RolyPolyPony; Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo fixing!

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    I have to share the story that haunts me to THIS day, despite it happening like 10 years ago.

Do you know that one version of BNL's "If I Had a Million Dollars" where there's a part about an old lady and a Fruit Rollup ("A little tiny fridge, and maybe I can direct that old lady up there. Oh, the Brinestreet Theatre, its right up that ladder lady. Welcome to the Brinestreet Theatre. Have a fruit roll up. Aren't you gonna eat it? Oh for Christ's sake!")

Ok, so I had that in my head when DH and I were in line. And I'm usually pretty oblivious when I'm in my head, so I'm bopping along to the song, and that part comes into my head, and I'm bopping, and the next thing I know, there's a gasp and DH, the cashier, and the man in front of me are STARING at me - apparently I busted out w/ "Oh for Christ's sake!" OUT LOUD, just as the guy in front of me was apparently slowly pulling out coin after coin to pay for a pack of DIAPERS. I was MORTIFIED. I tried to explain that I was singing, not cursing, but I'm not sure the cashier or guy believed me - DH knows me well enough to know I'd never say something like that, even if I were impatient!

I still feel horrible. Inadvertently cursing some innocent shopper.

(I probably should not be allowed in public - more recently I almost got thrown out of Shaw's for kicking the automatic checkout machine because it was flipping out over my reusable bag, despite me telling it I was using one! I save my fury for inanimate objects!)
    L...M...A...O!!!!!!!!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I hate going through the gauntlet of charities! I always feel guilty for saying no, but I may have already given the day before, or heck maybe I just support different charities. I don't like it. I wish stores wouldn't do that. Or at least make them low pressure. If I want to give, I will. If I don't/can't, please don't make me feel guilty. If they put a table or whatever off to the side, I'm okay with that if they don't send the little kids up to you asking you to donate.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Personally, I hate waiting, but try very hard not to show it. My biggest pet peeve beside the slow check writers or the ones who aren't ready when it's their turn, are the one who can reach the dividers, and don't put it at the end of their groceries, so you have to wait until you can reach it to divide the grocery orders, and it shows everything down. I also hate the ones that have to bring a big group to the store, and walk side-by-side to fill the aisle up. Trying to get past them is a pain, and they never want to move out of the way. When I go to the store I have a list, grab things as fast as I can, and want to get out of there as fast as possible, but apparently for some people it is more a social event and they take as much time as possible.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I didn't even know you could pay for groceries with a cheque. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it! I am pretty patient in lineups; I find the time just goes by more slowly if I feel like I'm in a rush.

Growing up, my Dad would be one to pick a line and then keep track of where his spot would be in the other lines if he had chose those ones, then grumble about the line he chose being too slow.... he was always particular about checking the time as soon as he got in line so he would know just how long he waited. Good grief! Who cares? You have to wait anyways, why not just be relaxed about it?

I have never seen anyone counting out change and not be able to buy something. Probably I would be tempted to pay the rest for them after I judged them on their appearance... I will admit to being pretty judgey.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Since when did having a minor vent at a minor irritation start meaning you're an entitled, whiny, selfish person who has no compassion and doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone else? Maybe I'm just more considerate of the people behind me in line, and sometimes I get a little tired of feeling like no one gives a damn about whether they are inconveniencing me.
    I can't count the number of times I've walked away when one thing didn't ring up at the sale price. No way would I hold up multiple people for a quarter. If I literally didn't have enough $ I'd be mortified and falling all over myself apologizing.

before anyone suggests it, I've certainly been down to scrounging for change under the car seats, but I did it before I walked into the store.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

3 members found this post helpful.

I also have a problem with the self-VIPs. I always bag-hate waiting around and kind of enjoy bagging-and it seems that every other time I go grocery shopping, the next VSelfIP behind me is already standing at the little CC counter with their cart in front of them. I very much enjoy making them back it up so that I can use the debit card thingie, or count out my $$. Oh, the clueless and frequently dirty looks I get! I guess they didnt figure how much longer we'd all be there if I had let the cashier bag my stuff.

My favorite story is when I stopped into the store to get a cuppa joe and some other thing at around 7:45 AM. Store is virtually empty. I get to the cashier just ahead of this man, subsequently referred to as "The Dick", who has 4 or 5 items in a cart, and who seems POed that I got to the cashier before him--remember, empty store, 3-4 cashiers just looking for something to do. As the cashier rings up my 2 purchases, I notice that The Dick is crowding me like a good cutting horse. I push his cart slightly away from my butt while he's not looking, only to feel it hit me in the arse a few moments later ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? He bleated a small apology, but shadowed my arse with his cart never more than a foot away. I found out later from a deli worker that they all referred to this guy, a regular customer, as "The Dick", completely independently from me!

Sometimes you gotta call a Dick a Dick.

Apologies to any Richards out there who have that unfortunate nickname.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    Since when did having a minor vent at a minor irritation start meaning you're an entitled, whiny, selfish person who has no compassion and doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone else? Maybe I'm just more considerate of the people behind me in line, and sometimes I get a little tired of feeling like no one gives a damn about whether they are inconveniencing me.
    I can't count the number of times I've walked away when one thing didn't ring up at the sale price. No way would I hold up multiple people for a quarter. If I literally didn't have enough $ I'd be mortified and falling all over myself apologizing.

before anyone suggests it, I've certainly been down to scrounging for change under the car seats, but I did it before I walked into the store.
    I agree-can we not vent about things anymore? Also, to everyone who is saying the OP is being ridiculous I'm assuming you've never gotten impatient with other people before over silly things...

Personally, sometimes things like this annoy me, it just depends on the day and my mood. I would say the store should just ring it up without the coupon because really, is it worth the time and payroll of multiple people over 10 minutes to try and sort out ten cents? Most definitely not.

why do people pay for groceries with checks? don't they realize the cashier just enters the info into the system and it works EXACTLY like their debit card- namely, it gets the account info- often by just scanning the check as if it were a debit card- and transfers the money instantly- except they had to stand there writing it up, and there's no security (no PIN, and the account number is LEFT BEHIND in the store for anyone to steal), they waste time and paper? I just don't get it. Especially when they use the "express" line and write a check for $20. If your bank charges you to use your debit card, you need a new bank.

I wish someone would invent a grocery cart that would scan each item as you put it into the cart. You could pre-load the cart with reusable bags, shop and bag and scan simultaneously, and then just pay on the way out the door.

I'm very fond of the self-checkout. I can scan and bag far faster than any cashier. I even know the "codes" for the produce I buy most often without looking them up. Unlike most cashiers.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    why do people pay for groceries with checks? don't they realize the cashier just enters the info into the system and it works EXACTLY like their debit card- namely, it gets the account info- often by just scanning the check as if it were a debit card- and transfers the money instantly- except they had to stand there writing it up, and there's no security (no PIN, and the account number is LEFT BEHIND in the store for anyone to steal), they waste time and paper? I just don't get it. Especially when they use the "express" line and write a check for $20. If your bank charges you to use your debit card, you need a new bank.

I wish someone would invent a grocery cart that would scan each item as you put it into the cart. You could pre-load the cart with reusable bags, shop and bag and scan simultaneously, and then just pay on the way out the door.

I'm very fond of the self-checkout. I can scan and bag far faster than any cashier. I even know the "codes" for the produce I buy most often without looking them up. Unlike most cashiers.
    My mom pays with a check because she doesn't own a debit card, nor does my DH.
    I LOVE self checkout. I hate when people try to use them though and don't have a clue, and ssslllooowwwlllyyy scan an item, slooowwly put it in bag, then scan and put item in cart not on shelf to be weighed, and do it more than 3 times so it freezes computer and alerts the attendant, so they have to come enter a code to allow the person to continue (Our grocery store allows you to skip bagging 3 items, then requires attendant).

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    This does exist I go to Stop & Shop, and as long as you have a card, you can scan it at a kiosk by the door and get a scanner. You then just scan things as you go, and bag as you wish. I'm a little OCD about bagging so it works perfectly for me. At the checkout, you just scan a barcode to end the order, scan your card, and pay.

Every once in a while they'll audit your order to make sure you actually did scan everything, but it is so worth it to breeze through the checkout (and have everything bagged the way I like it!).

Stop & Shop is often a bit more expensive, but the self scanning option is SO worth it for me!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    My mom pays with a check because she doesn't own a debit card, nor does my DH.
    I LOVE self checkout. I hate when people try to use them though and don't have a clue, and ssslllooowwwlllyyy scan an item, slooowwly put it in bag, then scan and put item in cart not on shelf to be weighed, and do it more than 3 times so it freezes computer and alerts the attendant, so they have to come enter a code to allow the person to continue (Our grocery store allows you to skip bagging 3 items, then requires attendant).
    I pay with a cheque at Costco because I will not ever get another credit card and I don't know my PIN for my debit (unintentional and probably something I could fix easily, but it's probably not a bad thing to not know).
    I have the cheque torn out and completely filled out when the cashier starts ringing my order, except for the amount, which the machine adds.

This is about the only time I ever write cheques and why one box of them has lasted for nearly 5 years!

I dunno, I was thanking God for my checkbook the day I had a cartful of crap at Wal-Mart and didn't realize I had left my debit and credit card in my car... Ohhh, the panic!
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I agree-can we not vent about things anymore? Also, to everyone who is saying the OP is being ridiculous I'm assuming you've never gotten impatient with other people before over silly things...

Personally, sometimes things like this annoy me, it just depends on the day and my mood. I would say the store should just ring it up without the coupon because really, is it worth the time and payroll of multiple people over 10 minutes to try and sort out ten cents? Most definitely not.
    But, clearly for most of us posting on COTH, financially 10 cents or 25 cents doesn't make a difference. What you're forgetting is that to some people, it does.

Although there are a lot of things I don't like about where I live, mostly related to politics and religion, we're a patient bunch for the most part. Few are in a hurry, most like to talk, I don't think I've heard a horn honk more than a handful of times since I moved here 7 years ago.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I pay with a cheque at Costco because I will not ever get another credit card and I don't know my PIN for my debit (unintentional and probably something I could fix easily, but it's probably not a bad thing to not know).
    I have the cheque torn out and completely filled out when the cashier starts ringing my order, except for the amount, which the machine adds.

This is about the only time I ever write cheques and why one box of them has lasted for nearly 5 years!
    Yes - I often pay with a check at Costco as well. And here, you don't have to fill out anything - you just hand them the blank check & the computer/register fills out everything except your signature.

Well, had it come back to me yesterday.

Both express checkouts had their lights on, with no one there. One cashier half behind the door to the office. Who knows where the other one was. Cashier bagging a big order said to just wait and they'd be there. I stand next to checkout 2, and the cashier returns to checkout 1 just as an Amish couple fly over to jump in front of me - which by itself was kind of entertaining. Cashier made them wait as I had been there well ahead of them. She bagged my items, and I returned to the car, and checked the tape. A bag of lettuce I picked up had had a $1 off sticker which the cashier removed, but was never credited to me. Went back in the store. There were 2 OVERLOADED carts at the express?!? Gal with the 2nd overflowing cart kindly let me in front. But I still had to wait several minutes for the gal with the first cart to pull her change out of her wallet and carefully consider each item as she placed it down.

The cashier a few aisles over said, "well, I feel sorry for the cashier at #1!".

I hate that chain. Their produce turns quickly, and I'd say 50% of the time they make goofs checking out - which is why I checked the tape in the car. But they're the only game in town.

Love my bi-weekly visits to the big city, and great supermarket on the way home!

But, oh, well - the wait was for a dollar!!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

One day I was at the grocery store in the 20 items or less line. A lady in front of me had 31 items....I counted. She then proceeded to complain about the price of something, someone had to go check the price, a manager had to come blah blah blah. After she was finished, I paid for my 2 items and accosted her in the parking lot about her 31 items and how rude and slow she was.

Not one of my finest moments, but come on! READ THE SIGN - 20 ITEMS OR LESS.....not 31!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    One day I was at the grocery store in the 20 items or less line. A lady in front of me had 31 items....I counted. She then proceeded to complain about the price of something, someone had to go check the price, a manager had to come blah blah blah. After she was finished, I paid for my 2 items and accosted her in the parking lot about her 31 items and how rude and slow she was.

Not one of my finest moments, but come on! READ THE SIGN - 20 ITEMS OR LESS.....not 31!!!
    That's the kind of thing I will NEVER do - especially in this day & age. Not out of any sense of courtesy, but because there are just far too many nut jobs running around, & I don't need my car keyed or bumped, or get personally injured, because of a supermarket altercation.

I've gotten much more patient with age about these things. I try to think outside myself, and ask why this person is doing this. Like the people talking to the cash register lady, maybe they are a recovering agoraphobic who has finally found the courage to go shopping, is chattering nervously because of this - give her a few moments, already. The elderly picking out change - this may well be the big event of their week, they don't want to rush through it! Or someone could be going through some horrible personal problem - my acting obviously annoyed or saying something mean over something so trivial as a few more minutes in line could really hurt them in a fragile state...

Choose to imagine what could be going on with them, that is causing the delay, and your irritation will melt away and you'll feel better about your fellow human being! And you may spread some happiness that way -

Example: around Christmas I was in a long line at Wally-world, and a little boy was holding a poster board and some markers. There was no price or bar to scan on the poster board. The cashier left to find another one, as the mom blushed & looked apologetically back at us. I asked the little boy what he was planning to draw on his poster board. He said his Daddy was coming home from Afghanistan the next day, and he wanted to make him a welcome home poster. The mood of the whole line changed in an instant. Everyone asked for more details, and in the end the little boy was proudly telling strangers about his dad the soldier. We all only lost a few minutes and left the store feeling good about humanity - instead of impatient & irritated lol.

22 members found this post helpful.