The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

You know what makes me sad is a little old lady (me in the future) with little hands that are arthritic, trying to count out her pennies to pay cash for her small purchases ...I always wonder about her.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You know what makes me sad is a little old lady (me in the future) with little hands that are arthritic, trying to count out her pennies to pay cash for her small purchases ...I always wonder about her.
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! These kind of folks always used to tug at my heart when I was a teenager working at the local Pamida store as a cashier. Some of them would just give me their wallet and let me take the money out for them. They were so sweet and I always made sure to try and treat them extra special.

At the grocery store, I think one of the things that drives me the most crazy is that certain stores around here are just HORRIBLE at not opening up other lanes or won't have the self-checkout lanes open at all. I prefer to use self-checkout so I don't have to interact with people. (Yeah, OK, so I'm a little anti-social, especially after a long day of work in the city and a 2+ hour round-trip commute). I also can get frustrated with the people who don't at least TRY to be efficient at the self-checkout. There are some people who just act as though the entire world has all day to be waiting behind them in line.

BUT, even MORE aggravating than that? Going to the local WaWA or Sheetz and not having there be ANY gas pump open with several cars jockeying to get in line for a pump, because while half the people there are actually pumping gas, the other half of them are INSIDE THE WAWA getting food, ciggies, using the bathroom, or whatever. Instead of getting in their car and parking in a vacant parking space out of the way so others can get gas, they just leave their car in front of the pump while they dilly dally around. Seriously, why do people do that? If the gas station isn't busy (like at 3 a.m.), not a big deal, but in the middle of a Saturday afternoon??? The words "selfish" and "entitled" come to mind.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't really get why there are still so many people at the grocery store still paying with checks. I think that holds me up far more often than the coupon people. Actually, the biggest line hold up in my neck of the woods are the people who buy cigarettes. The cashier has to leave the register and go to the locked case at the front of the store.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

I wish people would throw money at me more often.

4 members found this post helpful.

These are great.

I actually stopped going to my closest grocery store because the cashiers were instructed to 1) be chatty with the customer - asking how you are doing but also what you are up to today, what your plans are based on the items they are checking out for you and 2) to hold the receipt and read off your last name... "Thank you Mrs <insert long pause while poor soul tries to first find my name on receipt then pronounce awful last name, then asks me how to pronounce my last name.>"

Gah. Waiting in line for this to happen to the customers in front of me, and then me, it ate serious time. So finally i got to telling the cashier during the ring up that they didn't have to say my name or ask me anything and I was repeatedly told they would get in trouble if they did not.

So done! LOL Haven't missed it yet.

When you're having a meltdown in a grocery store because you've got to throw together a football party, the pathetic aspect of the situation is obvious and it ain't the attempt to save a dime. I've gotten impatient in stores, but only when I was really tired or sick, and standing there waiting was physically painful. Just because I had to run home and pour chips in a bowl? Get real.

12 members found this post helpful.

I only go to Walmart when I really need big bags of candy (I take it to work for the customers), because waiting in the line for one of two cashiers that are on duty is a definite pain. A lot of the time, I go to Publix instead, because even though it costs a little more, the store is cleaner, more organized, and when they call for baggers and cashiers the employees rush to the check stands. In Walmart when they call for checkers you can hear the stampeding employees running the other way. And a lot of the time at Walmart they haven't restocked the shelves, so the last time I needed laundry detergent I had to go to Publix anyway.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    These are great.

I actually stopped going to my closest grocery store because the cashiers were instructed to 1) be chatty with the customer - asking how you are doing but also what you are up to today, what your plans are based on the items they are checking out for you and 2) to hold the receipt and read off your last name... "Thank you Mrs <insert long pause while poor soul tries to first find my name on receipt then pronounce awful last name, then asks me how to pronounce my last name.>"

Gah. Waiting in line for this to happen to the customers in front of me, and then me, it ate serious time. So finally i got to telling the cashier during the ring up that they didn't have to say my name or ask me anything and I was repeatedly told they would get in trouble if they did not.

So done! LOL Haven't missed it yet.
    I don't want my cashier to query me about the items I'm buying. "Oh, Tampax - are you at the beginning of your period or the end?"
    Seriously, though, I once had a cashier lecture me about how bad Diet Mountain Dew is for me as she rang up my 2-liter bottles. I didn't report her, but warned her that she'd shown poor judgment and someone else might be inclined to get her in trouble for comments on their dietary habits.

The only thing that very, slightly irritates me are check-writers. Please, do not wait until you have the total before searching through your suitcase-sized purse for the checkbook. It's considerate of those behind you to have the check mostly filled out and ID in hand.

And please do your accounting AFTER you've paid and moved out of the line. If you forget the total before you've left the line, well, you do have the receipt for handy reference. It drives me NUTS when these people have to FIRST balance their checkbook before they even fill out and sign the check!

But I live in an area with a large elderly population, one of whom is my grandmother. I'll be there too someday, so it's never too early to learn a little patience.

Interesting. I always treat every customer the same since some of the check writers pay way way more than the debit card users.

My pet peeve as a customer is when the cashier starts ringing up the next person before I've had a chance to put away my card, or checkbook, usually CHANGE since I only use cash and receipt. If I feel rushed and thrown out the door I won't come back and I've been known to hang back and ask for a minute to grab my stuff.

People are so freaking rude and self-important. This society is skrewed.

If there is an elderly person ahead of me I will hang back, take my time and not even approach the checkout stand until they're ready to go. When I'm the cashier I won't even look at the next customer until my older customer is all set to go. In their lifetime people didn't whip out a card and self-importantly buzz away with their newly purchased items. A purchase was an important transaction that took time and I don't blame them for taking a minute to spend $100. I'd rather die of being shot by an impatient young Important Person than be disrespectful to someone my grandmother's age.

This society is so screwed up.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I'd rather die of being shot by an impatient young Important Person than be disrespectful to someone my grandmother's age.

This society is so screwed up.
    that is a want-to-be impatient young Important Person; the real ones have their dude do their shopping for them and the real impatient young Important Person most likely has no idea what the inside of a store looks like other they saw one on TV

Hey, Clanter, you are others are right about the VIPs. When I was fresh out of law school, I clerked for a federal judge. Back when federal judges were treated like royalty. He was from an "old" Savannah family. His driver, yes he had a driver on the federal payroll, went across the street and got his Cokes and cigars. The judge did not run his own errands.

My judge had never been in a grocery store or department store or anything like wal-mart. He was in his late 60s. I was sent out to buy his wife's tv birthday present. He would not deign to shop with the peasants!

But I just don't think that customers should take out their personal frustrations on cashiers and other customers. People use displacement too much to lash out at the wrong people. There are people on this board with chronic pancreatitis and other serious illnesses who aren't whining about little things.

I let people in front of me in line who have one or two items. Even when the stores offer to open up other lines. I figure that horse treats and cat and dog food and cat litter and beer and wine, my staples, can wait a few more minutes so that people who are buying one item can check out.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Hey, Clanter, you are others are right about the VIPs. .
    and it still is ongoing and that my friend is why "This society is so screwed up." as we have a class system and it isn't much different than India

What irritates me is the stores asking for money almost every month for different charities. I always give, but if I have already gave yesterday, I feel guilty for saying not this time. So I give. Groceries are expensive these days and some days I just don't feel like giving the "extra" $.

Also, there is no customer service anymore at Foodlion (which just happens to be the closest store to me) so I frequent it. I usually end up bagging my own and for sure no one is going to load your cart for you. That is OK I suppose, but then they hurry you. You are supposed to be bagging your own, putting it in the cart, pay, give the mvp card all at once, while they are trying to push you out of the way and out the door.

I was in Aldi's once getting groceries and was in a long line. A few carts ahead of me what appeared to be a homeless guy was buying a case of soda. Kind of held the line up for a few min.

When it came to my turn, I saw the soda on the counter so I grabbed it and had the cashier ring it up. I figured if I didn't see the guy outside I would just give it away.

I saw the guy when I was loading my car up and gave him his soda. Kind of gives you a reality check when you can load your trunk with groceries and some poor guy couldn't get the < 3.00 case of soda.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

4 members found this post helpful.

Mara-you must have been in the line with me the other day, when a woman with a huge cart waited until everything was charged, bagged and carted (this was Publix where they even unload your cart when they get a chance), and then started fishing for the checkbook. When writing a check I always fill out whatever I can first, and that way I already have the TO line done, the date (which I sometimes have to hunt for), and have the check ripped out, then it's two seconds to write it and finish.

That's one thing I love about debit cards, they're so much faster. However, some credit unions here charge customers for using a debit card as a debit, instead of charge. I don't know why, because if it's for identity reasons they just get a signature, and don't check i.d.'s, but they do, and that slows things down too.

One reason people jump into the express lines at Walmart with too many items is that sometimes they only have several express lines open, and maybe one regular cashier, and the lines get ridiculous. That's one reason I avoid Walmart, because they simply don't have enough cashiers, and when I consider my time spent there I think the price difference at the regular store is worth it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    yes, when that was pointed out to me I asked if they wanted me to unload the trucks and stock the shevels also... now if they gave me a discount for using self check out then maybe
    And as often as those scanners and price options malfunction, the self-checkout makes me nervous! I use it at the hardware store because I have no option, but I sweat bullets the entire time. OTOH, theirs IS particularly non-user-friendly, too.

My pet peeve is people who aren't willing to help bag their own groceries. They just stand around helplessly while the cashier has to ring everything up AND bag. Really? Sometimes I even get a surprised and grateful "thank you so much for helping to bag", like it is an unusual occurrence!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Oh, and the constant donating? Drives me nuts! We have a charity auto-deduction at work (I work for a large university) so I do my donating there. Every year I carefully select who I want, and they take a small amount out of my check every biweekly paycheck, and at the end of the year I've donated a tidy sum. So when I'm in line, I ALWAYS say no. Their charity of the week program makes me crazy. It's a nice idea, but the constant pressure just makes me tense because I LIKE to donate.

The way one of the grocery stores I go to is structured, the cashier puts items directly into the bag after scanning them. The bags are right at the end of the belt (the cashier is between that and the end platform where he/she then puts the bagged groceries if your cart isn't ready) and not at the end of the register area in general so the customer really can't bag.

One thing did peeve me a week or so ago. I wasn't in a rush and didn't make a fuss but the cashier was ringing out a fellow employees cart full of items. The most annoying part was that they were talking and she was working so slowly. They just stood there idly talking. I know you get to see each other when you work together, so for now just do your job efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    What irritates me is the stores asking for money almost every month for different charities. I always give, but if I have already gave yesterday, I feel guilty for saying not this time. So I give. Groceries are expensive these days and some days I just don't feel like giving the "extra" $.
    Kroger is always letting the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts set up tables in front of the store to sell their cookies/popcorn/whatever. I used to be able to sneak past them by using the side door nearest the pharmacy, but the Scouts wised up and started parking a table there too. They hit you on the way in and then again as you're leaving. Once in a while is fine, but it is every freaking weekend (and sometimes weekday afternoons) during their fundraising seasons.