The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Grocery stores--ever felt like throwing money at someone?

I went to the store the other day in a rush. I had company coming in 30 minutes and needed ice. Got it, got in line. It was busy as it was just an hour before the Superbowl.

Unfortunately, I got in line behind someone with a coupon that wasn't ringing up properly. It was ringing up as 30 cents off instead of 40 cents. For an item that cost 1.50.

I kid you not, I stood there for 10+ minutes while this got sorted out. First there needed to be a manager to come and say, "Go check it." Then once they figured it out, the manager had to come back to authorize the void. Then there was still a problem. OMG. I damn near threw a dime at the lady and said "Get on with it! My treat!" I try to be patient. I am usually NOT in a rush and will let people with less than me go ahead even if I'm in line first.

But for ten cents? I SO wanted to just pay for it and GO! Had I been directly behind her and not 2 behind, I would've offered. I realize that she was within her rights to get her deal but OMG. When things are piling up and it's over 10 cents? WTH?

This is why I do not coupon shop. I don't want to be the asshat holding up the line. Seriously.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Every now and then

What gets me is: I take the time & forethought to sort the items in my cart, putting like things together - I concentrate the heaviest things right up front, then canned goods, boxed stuff, cold/meat, etc. This way, IF they pay attention, the cashier can pull them out in like order and the bagger (if I have one) can bag them in the right order.

Ahhhhh, silly me. That would mean PAYING ATTENTION to cart contents.
    Even when I say, "I've got like things sorted to make ya'll's job easier," they don't notice & grab a box, then a can, then a bag of chips, etc. Alllllllll over the place. And if the cashier does notice, the bagger doesn't and I'll get 3 cans in with my chips.

Gah! Drives me nuts!

I usually look for the lines with no bagger, so I can politely say to the cashier "If you'll take it out in the order I've sorted it, I'll bag it!!!" -- Then I have to politely decline the bag boy (yes, usually a teenager) when they offer to help while I'm half-way through.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

Ten cents is important to some people and it adds up. In any case, you were the one running late, does something like that bother you when you're not?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

8 members found this post helpful.

Bothers me. DH and I went grocery shopping, had no rush at all, and the cashier was slooooooowly running the items over the scanner while chatting with the customer about her surgery. No 1, TMFI! No 2, this is work, not the water cooler or whatever. No 3, peeps are backing up over here! Asking "how do ya do?" and chatting while working is one thing... This is another.

DH almost lost it.

This happened to me at a pharmacy, I was ON TIME for what I needed to do that day but after standing in and being the only person in line for 18 minutes, I wasn't any longer. I needed my ONE Rx, that I had called in already, and a woman was fussing about this and that at the counter. I finally walked up and asked if they could ring me up on the other machine so I could go, and stated that I had been waiting in line for nearly 20 minutes at this point. Why it wasn't offered is beyond me.

I've also walked out of doctor office waiting rooms (twice) and vet offices (once). My dog and I sat in a room (not the waiting room, an exam room) for 30 minutes for a quick allergy check up. I walked out, and told them why. If there had been an emergency and I was told Dr So-n-So had to handle something, I would have been fine with the option of waiting or rescheduling, but to be ignored? For half an hour? Good thing it was an off day and I wasn't a M-F'er using a lunch break...

I totally get what you are saying OP. Ten cents to inconvenience a line of people is ridiculous.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm a couponer and things like this do happen, but when they do I *ALWAYS* apologize and for $.10 would just let it go -- If it were to happen over and over it would be a big deal, but just once isn't going to kill the 'deal' as it were.

Then again, I'm also that person who will let other people go ahead of me if I have coupons, even if none of them should cause trouble. Common courtesy I suppose. Being a kind and considerate couponer is one of my 'soap box topics' when I teach classes
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Ten cents is important to some people and it adds up. In any case, you were the one running late, does something like that bother you when you're not?
    Most of the time, I don't care because I've got nowhere to be as I said in my OP. I usually let people go ahead of me if they have just a few things and I have many or if I can see someone is in a rush and I'm not.

But for 10 cents on a candy bar? Truly, I just couldn't believe it.

Maybe 10 cents does matter. Lord knows I'm not rolling the money these days. But 10 cents? Really? If it matters that much then why are you buying candy?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

7 members found this post helpful.

What makes me mad is the 20 items or less line... and the person in front of me has a huge buggy full of groceries and I have 5 things. The cashiers have a limited amount of space, so to check someone out when they aren't equipped to handle it takes longer than if said person went to the regular line.

That's why I use the self-checkout option.

I figured out the key to eliminating grocery store stress around here. Much of the population where I live is Catholic (including my DH and my DS, but not me), so I go to the grocery store before 10:00am on Sunday mornings, most people are at Mass and I have the place nearly to myself. I can park right outside the door and there's never a line at the register. The only thing I have to deal with is working around the stockers...they use the quiet time to replenish shelves from their big carts. But then, I do get the really fresh stuff, by getting the produce from them before it even lands on the shelf .

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Most of the time, I don't care because I've got nowhere to be as I said in my OP. I usually let people go ahead of me if they have just a few things and I have many or if I can see someone is in a rush and I'm not.

But for 10 cents on a candy bar? Truly, I just couldn't believe it.

Maybe 10 cents does matter. Lord knows I'm not rolling the money these days. But 10 cents? Really? If it matters that much then why are you buying candy?
    Because that 10 cents can add up. Maybe that's WHY they can afford the candy bar, who knows.

The few minutes here and few minutes there start to add up in the course of a day, week, month or years.
    We run into the same 'time gremlins' everytime we run errands. The average stop at the drug store is 20 minutes, even when our meds are waiting. The folks behind the counter have trouble with our names, we have only been doing business there for 15 years. . . and problems locating the filled meds.

Same as ChocoMare - I line up groceries so it will be easy for the bagger and for me to put away at home. Of course, there is always the bagger who puts heavy items in with crushable items or the checker slams down the carefully chosen apples, bruising them, etc.

Again we are in a small town so our options are limited. But there are times the 45 minute drive to a larger community where we pay somewhat higher prices sounds temping. . . .
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

This happened to me. It was over 23 cents. I had a couple of items for dinner. I had to pee, I was hungry, and I needed to get home to put my chickens away as it was getting dark. The couple in line in front of me was digging around in their pockets/purse looking for the change, then the guy said he was going to go out to the car and check. I couldn't take it anymore and gave the cashier a quarter to pay the rest of their bill. Whether they really needed the money, or were just cheap, it was worth it to me before I wet myself and/or had a bunch of dead chickens from the nocturnal critters that were particularly active at that time.

You know, people in the South will give people standing in line in front of them money, if we are in a hurry and don't want to wait. Today I paid $1 for a candy bar for someone in line in the drugstore as she did not have enough money for it. In the grand scheme of things, ranting about waiting in line (or in traffic) is not on the top of my list.

The only time I've ever gotten upset was when I was called by a friend at 11:30pm to say her horse was colicking at our barn and I needed to drive her and her horse to surgery. Of course I needed diesel, so I stopped and the station did not have pay at the pump. I filled up, ran inside and .... a woman in front of me was trying to decide how many packs of cigarettes to buy. I said excuse me, I'll pay for yours if you will let me pay and get to the barn to load my friend's horse and get him to our surgeon 80 miles away. The woman let me in front of her, I paid, and my friend and I got her horse to my vet for successful surgery.

Now I keep my tank full. And I don't go into stores if I don't have time to wait for someone to go get another item, or to make change. Besides, my grocery store checkout people always ask how my horses are, and whether or not Cloudy is picking on Hattie. If you get to know the people who wait on you, they will open up a register if you are in a hurry.

Otherwise, I stand patiently in line because I choose not to take out my frustrations on people paying for anything.

The couponers don't bother me - even if there's an error, because I know that some folks really depend on those savings. It's the GABBERS that start my blood boiling!!! Jeeze Loueeze - catch up SOME OTHER TIME FOLKS!! Just because you know the checker personally does NOT mean this is the time for a coffee klatch.

I once stood for easily 10-15 minutes while the checker & the woman in front of me caught up on a good 2 weeks worth of gossip while I stood & watched my frozen food start melting. Arrgggghh. And I could almost feel the steam coming off all of the people lined up behind me.

These days when I see that start, I just hum & start moving my groceries up closer on the belt, etc., etc. - lol!

I always pitch in the needed amount in tha situation. I just say "Here, let me get that for you. I'm really sorry to be in such a hurry today, but it's worth me paying it to get out of here".

And people with more than the items specified in the express line REALLY piss me off. I'll tell someone in the express line that has a bunch of items, "Oh Dear...this is the express line for 10 items or less...one of the other cashiers will need to check you out". Never had anyone not get out of line.

I have given people a few cents here and there at stores when they are short, I just figure it's good karma and all that. I save approx. $10.00 to $20.00 a week with coupons, but I don't waste my-or other folks' time haggling over a dime.

I DO however, speak right up when the checker and the customer ahead are "catching up"...I say, "Excuse me, would you please check out my items and then chat, as I have to get home, unload the groceries, feed a farm full of animals, and report to work. I have places to be"...Yes, I might get a dirty look, if any comment is made-and one checker actually gave me some snotty reply (including a mild curse) once-I go straight to the store manger. She was NOT happy having to apologize to me, in front of all her coworkers/customers, and having to report to the manager "when you go on break"...Funny, never saw her after that day...

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    That's why I use the self-checkout option.
    yes, when that was pointed out to me I asked if they wanted me to unload the trucks and stock the shevels also... now if they gave me a discount for using self check out then maybe

3 members found this post helpful.

I always seem toe pick the wrong line. Price check in lane 5! I just roll my eyes saying, it figures. No one's fault, just my darn luck to be behind them. And if I move, I'll e darned if something goes wrong in the new aisle and the original lane goes faster!

I tend to now shop at Publix where they actually are friendly and the store is rarely busy if I go mid morning. I hate going to some other stores (Walmart comes to mind) where I can go through and entire checkout without the cashier acknowledging me. I always leave with a very loud, "have a great day".
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I used to work for a store manager that would have been the hold-up in this situation. She agonized over every penny and if something didn't come up Just So she would spend hours trying to make it Just So and pretty much holding the cashier and customer hostage the whole time. Such a time waster! I know there were times when I, the cashier and the hapless customer would just look at each other helplessly while she figured out which was the most effective way to enter a $1.00 off coupon into the point of sale system or if $10 off or 10% off was the best way to negotiate a sale item... omg. It's not always the cashier's fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    This happened to me. It was over 23 cents. I had a couple of items for dinner. I had to pee, I was hungry, and I needed to get home to put my chickens away as it was getting dark. The couple in line in front of me was digging around in their pockets/purse looking for the change, then the guy said he was going to go out to the car and check. I couldn't take it anymore and gave the cashier a quarter to pay the rest of their bill. Whether they really needed the money, or were just cheap, it was worth it to me before I wet myself and/or had a bunch of dead chickens from the nocturnal critters that were particularly active at that time.
    You're kidding right? The way this economy is they probably didn't have the 23 cents. I've paid for people in front of me when they have to put things back...like the elderly woman who didn't have enough money for her Advil (generic) after she bought the food she needed.

Sometimes you pay it forward, and not grudgingly.

4 members found this post helpful.