The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adequan AND Smartflex I

Adequan AND Smartflex I, redundant, not redundant? Too much? just enough? My horse isn't older, he's only 10 (actually 9 until July), but he is in constant work, jumping 2 days a week and hacking 4 and I want to make sure his joints are supported, but recently some people been telling me I shouldn't have him on both Smartflex and Adequan. Any opinions?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

You would probably be fine with the Adequan only given that your horse doesn't have DJD currently. Not sure about the bioavailability (how much of the supplement actually gets to the joints?) of the Smartpak formulation. If it makes you feel better then you could definitely give both without any worries about "overdosing"!

I highly doubt smartflex I is going to Help your horse's joints. I don't think I've ever seen a basic oral joint supplement help out a horse. I mean, it's not going to hurt him so if it makes you feel better then go for it, but you're doing more than enough by having your horse on adequan.

I agree with the above. It's not going to hurt, but what I think might be more helpful if you want to do something in addition to the adequan would be omega 3 supplementation. Smartpak has a $15 product but if you compare it to the other omega supplements it's minimal amounts so I opt for either omega horseshine or daily omegas plus.

1 members found this post helpful.

Or you could just feed whole flax seed...much cheaper!

The horse is already on Omega Horseshine, and I've taken him off smartflex now, it just seems redundant to feed all three. I can't feed whole flax because our entire barn is on the smartpak system, and I'm not there when feeding is done.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים