The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 150
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    My mom pulled all of my brothers out of Boy Scouts when the leader say the boys were required to attend his services on Sunday or be kicked out. My mom let them go to one service and pulled them out halfway through when the pastor/ BS leader said that the reason there were no more dinosaurs is because they didn't fit on the arc????
    Well, Scouting has always held the view that belief in a higher power (not a particular religion, though) is key to the development of boys, so somebody's mama didn't do her research before having her boys join. That part of Scouting has been there from the get-go.

    As to the ark comment, c'mon, now, that's an old joke and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the scout leader meant it as such.



  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Prove to me there is a gay gene. How about a pedophile gene. A school shooter gene. A woman who prefers to sleep with her young male students gene. A fat gene . A alcoholic gene. A drug addiction gene?

    You can't because there isn't one. This is what happens to a culture that is self obsessed with every carnal thing there is. Everything goes, if it feels good to you then do it. We are given to indulge in anything we choose and the more you indulge the deeper you go. As a country you can see how far we have gone. We as a country have no moral standard. This is what happens when you take God out of it.


    These are all choices people make. Some are influenced by the culture they live in, family life, what they were exposed to. Some are just at a weak time in life and susceptible to whatever they encounter at the time. I have a friend who has a sister who was in an awful and abusive marriage. She left him and my friend said that she was now gay. When she was married she was slim, feminine, long haired woman. I happened to see her at a family get together of my friend. She was about 40 pounds heavier, wearing jeans, a mans shirt and sporting a mans haircut. I wouldn't have known she was a woman. Her partner was the female of the pair, very feminine. This situation is one of many in the homosexual community. One is playing the " man" role and one the " woman". why is that?

    The fact that a 4th grader would even think about his/ her sexual gender should be a wake up call to the moral downhill slide of our nation. We really do reap what we sow.
    Who cares if someone chooses to have sex with another consenting adult?

    Who cares if someone chooses to have sex with another consenting adult fat person or thin person?

    Or another consenting Christian adult or Jewish adult or Muslim adult?

    Or another consenting Black adult or Asian adult?


    Why does it even matter if being gay is a choice or not. I don't believe it is a choice, but to me it doesn't even matter.

    If you don't want to date a Black person, you don't have to. Someone else may choose to. If you don't want to date White people, fine. If you want to date fat people but not thin people -also your call. No one is forcing YOU to date a thin female Jew just because THEY are dating a thin female Jew. Is it possible people could be allowed to CHOOSE (if you must) a thin Jew or whatever else subcategory without you feeling the need to bestow or withold your approval?

    So if someone else wants to date a man with tatoos who is Muslim ...whotf cares?
    And why does it make any difference if that "someone else" who is doing this potential dating is male or female for you to randomly from your throne determine whether that's ok with you?


    Similarly what's it to you who plays what role?
    If I want to buzz cut my hair, gain 50 lbs, and wear carhartts all day long and the guy I am seeing decides he wants to wear a damn dress, is there some reason you feel God appointed you the fashion police here? Before we consider this potential course of action should we check in with you first?

    And do I get to then make judgment on your sexual orientation based on you and your partner's appearance? Because if sweatpants are allowed in public in your situation, I may have to consider your relationship Unnatural. My parents are Atheists and raised me that that is just WRONG. Also, please detail the relative weights of you and your spouse so I can decide who is playing the man. Perhaps I can hold up a picture of you next to whatever standard of femininity is to hand in the nearest Victoria's Secret catalog and assess whether or not you are purposefully playing the man? If you don't have a washboard stomach and curvy hips, ...I don't know, seems awfully manly...
    I mean, do I ALSO get to decide what is a "feminine enough" appearance for a woman? Or just you?
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Feb. 7, 2013 at 05:15 PM.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    9,897

    Default

    My understanding of the way the banned volunteer files worked, is that the local or area chapter would find out from reports, or criminal charges that sexual abuse was occuring. If the investigation at the local level agreed that the charges were true, then the file was sent to the state level, and sometimes sent to national so the person was barred from scouting. What brought this out was a lawsuit in Oregon, from several scouts that were abused, and they wanted the files released about the many cases that the state council kept, and this forced the release of the national files. There were something like 1,800 files released on separate individuals that abused scouts, and this was only the ones at the national level, and one state (at least I think that was it), from 1965 to 1985. Because many abusers have more than one victim, and the only offenses included were against scouts, then I would have to assume that the 1,800 or so offenders abused many more times than that. Some abusers were allowed to volunteer in other locations, because the information about them never went to the national office, and because the files were not always checked against lists of volunteers. There have also been a flock of recent child porn convictions against leaders and in one case, a camp manager for the scouts.

    Here's a link to the article about the files:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-cover-up.html
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White



  4. #104

    Default

    Candyappy: There is actually a lot of research coming out (no pun intended) in recent years that suggests that people are infact born to be gay. It's not a gene. It's how your brain's "programmed". Get with the program. Wait, don't tell me... you don't believe in science either because it's not in the "true Bible".

    http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...y-be-inherited

    http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.o...t/1/4/393.full

    Secondly, threatening people with punishment from a faith-based belief system that they don't necessarily follow is foolish. If someone does not believe in God the way you do, or at all, your idea that God will punish them for being gay is pointless. It's like telling a 30 year that if he doesn't behave Santa won't bring him anything at Christmas. He doesn't believe in Santa so the threat holds no power.

    And what's so wrong about a preteen wondering about thier gender? The real problem with society is that we teach people, particularly children, to feel ashamed about their bodies and their sexuality. This country is afraid of/offended by any sort of nudity and makes embarrassing jokes about sex and intimate relationships. People are ashamed to be sexual. Do you want people to just live like they never think of sex or have sexual desires? THAT'S more unnatural than being gay.

    No one is asking you to think being gay is okay, just like no one can force a person to not be racist. However, you blatant ignorance to the reality of the situation isn't helping your case.

    This country does not have an official religion. By creating rules that restrict certain people's rights based on religious beliefs we are losing religious freedom.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    My problem is the push that everyone must accept their sexual lifestyle choice.
    We don't have to accept it; we just can't discriminate against it. What a gay person does is zero business of mine; I don't need to "approve" of what anyone does in the bedroom, and neither do you. It doesn't matter!

    As to the kids, geez, they want to camp, and be in the woods, and explore, and do whatever Scouts do. Little kids don't give a hoot about this stuff. They have to be TAUGHT to hate someone who's different.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 2005
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Jumpnow said:

    My husband's cousin' hairdresser's brother's cousin told me all Eagle Scouts are poopy heads. You sound like a 12 year old.

    As far as the gay activist denied his Eagle. If his story is untrue please explain why Eagle Scouts sent them their pins in a show of solidarity. He was also on Ellen.

    You are a homophobe whether you think you are or not.

    And just what is the big deal about being an Eagle Scout? Most young men totally lose interest in such a close minded organization by the time they are 14. The only ones left around all become Eagle Scouts from what I have seen. Three of them in our neighborhood cleared a 10 foot path of brush and voila!! Eagle Scout. Big whoop.[/QUOTE]
    ___________________

    Well, you may win the prize for hateful ignorance lol. No, my niece's situation lead me to research, and through that research I discovered the state of the scouts in the UK.

    You don't know me - lol - and for you to assert that you know me better than I know myself and saying that I am full of hatred because I, myself, am gay is pretty extreme.
    Last edited by Coyoteco; Feb. 7, 2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarify quote


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Well, Scouting has always held the view that belief in a higher power (not a particular religion, though) is key to the development of boys, so somebody's mama didn't do her research before having her boys join. That part of Scouting has been there from the get-go.

    As to the ark comment, c'mon, now, that's an old joke and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the scout leader meant it as such.
    Yes, scouts believe in a higher power, but if you are really running your troop according to scouting guidelines, you do not promote one belief system over another. So it was inappropriate to insist that all of the boys attend a particular church, if that is indeed what happened. Scouting includes Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc etc. Scouting is not exclusively Christian.

    I hope the leader was joking. But given that the Creation Museum is just down the road from me, and it is a big tourist attraction, I sure wouldn't bet on it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,680

    Default

    I find reading COTH Off Topic days so enlightening.

    I did not occur to me that since I would have never allowed my daughters to hike in to the woods to live for a couple days with a heterosexual man in the role of authority over them that it makes me a heterophobe. Who knew?



  9. #109
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2003
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Why does it even matter if being gay is a choice or not. I don't believe it is a choice, but to me it doesn't even matter.

    Because if it is a choice, people like candyappy can smugly continue to condemn people to hell for violating their moral code regardless of whether or not the "condemned" folk follow that code or believe in her deity. It is far easier to condemn people as sinners than it is to love and accept them the way they were made.

    And yes, there are numerous studies demonstrating that homosexuality is genetic. My brother -- a microbiologist -- was telling me about colleagues who have been able to make animals that are straight, gay, bi, and asexual depending on how they manipulate the genes. The studies will be out there if you look.

    I'll say it again: Bigotry and discrimination are choices. Sexuality is not.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Prove to me there is a gay gene. How about a pedophile gene. A school shooter gene. A woman who prefers to sleep with her young male students gene. A fat gene . A alcoholic gene. A drug addiction gene?

    You can't because there isn't one. This is what happens to a culture that is self obsessed with every carnal thing there is. Everything goes, if it feels good to you then do it. We are given to indulge in anything we choose and the more you indulge the deeper you go. As a country you can see how far we have gone. We as a country have no moral standard. This is what happens when you take God out of it.


    These are all choices people make. Some are influenced by the culture they live in, family life, what they were exposed to. Some are just at a weak time in life and susceptible to whatever they encounter at the time. I have a friend who has a sister who was in an awful and abusive marriage. She left him and my friend said that she was now gay. When she was married she was slim, feminine, long haired woman. I happened to see her at a family get together of my friend. She was about 40 pounds heavier, wearing jeans, a mans shirt and sporting a mans haircut. I wouldn't have known she was a woman. Her partner was the female of the pair, very feminine. This situation is one of many in the homosexual community. One is playing the " man" role and one the " woman". why is that?

    The fact that a 4th grader would even think about his/ her sexual gender should be a wake up call to the moral downhill slide of our nation. We really do reap what we sow.
    I see that I will not be able to change your mind, but to compare homosexuality to pedophilia, school shooters?

    By the way, weight can be affected by genes. Although there is no gene that will make you obese while still eating healthy and dieting, some genes cause people to naturally be heavier than others.

    And yes, a 4th grader, who is probably 9? I think I was 9 in fourth grade, 9-10. Anyway, yes, a 9 to 10 year old is definitely pretty aware that they like the other gender (or the same gender). I had crushes in fourth grade. Why is it a sin for my gay friend to have them?
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Yes, scouts believe in a higher power, but if you are really running your troop according to scouting guidelines, you do not promote one belief system over another. So it was inappropriate to insist that all of the boys attend a particular church, if that is indeed what happened.
    Yes, exactly, that's why I said "higher power" and not a particular religion. As you say, "if" they had to attend a particular Christian church, you're right.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    But given that the Creation Museum is just down the road from me, and it is a big tourist attraction, I sure wouldn't bet on it.
    LOL, Yikes!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    Bet y'all are sure missin' that red thumb 'bout now.


    13 members found this post helpful.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Bet y'all are sure missin' that red thumb 'bout now.
    Oh, yes. I even went to go for it earlier...darn. Though I'm not sure a red thumb is enough to express my distaste.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    BLBGP-you forgot another little Old Testament rule. If your husband dies, you are supposed to marry your brother-in-law.
    If I weren't already an atheist, the thought of marrying ANY of the ex-inlaws would make me so! Dear God that is a scary scary thought!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    12,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Bet y'all are sure missin' that red thumb 'bout now.
    It still wiggles every now and then to let me know it's there.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2012
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I'd say that about anyone who can't get that the Boy Scouts are a private organization and no one has the right to FORCE them to accept anyone they don't like.
    That for me is the key issue. As for the rest of it, there is a mind set these days to try and make everything and everyone equal, in the guise of being fair, and that fairness shall be dictated by our government, rather than our own judgement and principles.
    What is wrong with the idea that we respect other people's differences, without being forced to adopt or join them? If there can be different clubs like a girls scouts, and a boys scouts, why not have a gay scouts? What would be wrong with heterosexuals only. There are all gay clubs I could go to, but if everyone in there is gay, and I'm not, why would I want to go anyway? If I'm a western rider, why would I want to join a dressage club? The truth is, people want to separate themselves into groups of like minded people of similar interest. If gays say they are no different, why do they talk about "gay communities"? Could I promote a hedero-sexual community? We have black appreciation month. Could we have a white appreciation month? That would be totally unexceptable. The core of America is that we are a free people. There are laws that say when we are out in the public services and business and governments, that we cannot discriminate, everyone must get an equal shake. That's great, but then we go home to our perspective communities where we feel most comfortable. We go to the church we want to go to. We join the clubs that welcome us, and stay away from the ones who don't.



  17. #117
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I have no problem drinking water from the same fountain or sharing a restroom with a person of any race or with a person who practices a gay lifestyle. We are all people created by God . My problem is the push that everyone must accept their sexual lifestyle choice . They are not a race of people, or a person with a disability. The only difference is that they choose to have sex with the same gender and they want everyone to say what they do is right and acceptable because deep down inside they know it is wrong. God set his law on every heart, it doesn't matter if you acknowledge God or not.

    You want to blame my views on faith? So be it. Homosexuality has been practiced since the beginning as well as every other thing man does that is wrong. God made His laws clear in the beginning. We are to love the person but that doesn't mean we accept the way they live when it is in direct opposition to the Word of God.

    Long ago I had the chance to view a documentary called " It's Not Gay" that was made by some men that had been able to get out of that life after many years in-slaved in it. Through the dedication of many bible believing Christians who worked and ministered to help people stuck in that life. The title says it all and it was quite eye opening..
    Wow. I feel quite sorry for you. People do not choose to be gay and gay people are not in slaved into the life style. And I feel very sorry for the ones who are being forced to hide who they are from their family and so called friends


    5 members found this post helpful.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsehand View Post
    That for me is the key issue. As for the rest of it, there is a mind set these days to try and make everything and everyone equal, in the guise of being fair, and that fairness shall be dictated by our government, rather than our own judgement and principles.
    What is wrong with the idea that we respect other people's differences, without being forced to adopt or join them? If there can be different clubs like a girls scouts, and a boys scouts, why not have a gay scouts? What would be wrong with heterosexuals only. There are all gay clubs I could go to, but if everyone in there is gay, and I'm not, why would I want to go anyway? If I'm a western rider, why would I want to join a dressage club? The truth is, people want to separate themselves into groups of like minded people of similar interest. If gays say they are no different, why do they talk about "gay communities"? Could I promote a hedero-sexual community? We have black appreciation month. Could we have a white appreciation month? That would be totally unexceptable. The core of America is that we are a free people. There are laws that say when we are out in the public services and business and governments, that we cannot discriminate, everyone must get an equal shake. That's great, but then we go home to our perspective communities where we feel most comfortable. We go to the church we want to go to. We join the clubs that welcome us, and stay away from the ones who don't.
    While there's a lot to potentially discuss here, I do want to clearly point out that in the case of the Boy Scouts, the government, via the court system, said that it was perfectly OK for the BSA to exclude gays. There was no dictating that the Boy Scouts accept gays by the government. What is being played out here re: the Boy Scouts is pressure from past, current, future, and potential boy scouts, their parents, and the chartering organizations. The government has nothing to do with it.

    As I said above, I would be perfectly OK with the Boy Scouts continuing as they are. The problem is, they want it both ways. They want $$ and members from everyone, but they don't want to allow everyone in. They've been able to shove it all under the rug up to this point but change is overwhelming their tactics now. I am pretty sure that if they continue to exclude gay kids, they are going to lose a lot more support than they will retain. It's not a pretty picture, especially if you are used to being held in high esteem, powerful, and iconic.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsehand View Post
    The truth is, people want to separate themselves into groups of like minded people of similar interest.
    Yes, and the like-minded similar interest here is Scouting.

    According to you, there'd have to be separate scout troops with scout leaders who only have sex in the missionary position, and separate troops with scout leaders who like to role play in bed, and separate troops with scout leaders who use toys, or who like doggie style, or who have only dated brunettes, or leaders & scouts who like the NY Giants and hate the NE Patriots, and vice versa. Don't you see how crazy it is to base the decision on who can be a Scout on something that has nothing to do with teaching camping & woodlore?


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    I agree that private groups have every right to be private, but then you cannot get gov't. money and people have the right to send them more of their own cash because they support this discrimination, or to withhold money because they don't support it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sep. 22, 2014, 02:21 PM
  2. Girl Scouts Badges
    By 111 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Jan. 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
  3. Spin Off - Gays/Homosexuality
    By PonyPeep in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2011, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness