The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 150
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2004
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    So ... guys can be girl scout leaders too?
    not very common but yes they can
    http://girlscoutdads.com/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    So ... guys can be girl scout leaders too?
    Pretty much so, I do believe. I can double check tho.
    There are single dads out there, after all...

    Interestingly enough they have not adopted a training program as vigorous as the BS though...which I found interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    I know this is going to sound weird, especially based on my personal saga as narrated above, but I would still respect the Boy Scouts if they decided to stay with their current policies. At least they would be true to their principles. Of course that would have a bunch of severe negative effects on the organization - an acceleration of their decline and, as someone said on NPR tonight, the loss to BSA of an entire generation. But I support their right to be wrong, so to speak, in my humble opinion.

    What makes their current situation a mess, and why I called it half-a$$ed, is that they are trying to have it both ways. Soothe the big corporate donors like AT&T, calm down the negative PR from denying some kid his Eagle because he's openly gay, but at the same time, soothe the very conservative faith based groups that are their biggest supporters as well. It just isn't going to work.

    So they have to make the big decision - be a group that is more conservative than the military and trash 100 years of being the best activity around for young men, or be the best activity for young men that totally alienates their traditional base. Either way, it's a mess and I don't envy them. No one is going to be happy either way.

    And candyappy, I say this in the kindest way possible...open your heart just a tiny bit to the possibility that just like some kids don't choose to be autistic, or red heads, or smart, or not so smart, gay kids don't choose to be gay. From your posts I doubt that you have first hand experience of raising or being in a close relationship with someone who isn't a heterosexual. Even if you think they are wrong, wrong, wrong, just try to extend a bit of compassion or understanding to them. I am here to tell you that they are lovable and wonderful just as they are, just as you are.

    Peace!


    23 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2003
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    IME, a person makes a choice to be an intolerant bigot. I've never met anyone who chose to be gay. All of the people I know who are gay had a pretty rough time of it when they were younger, but they always, always knew -- including the one who grew up in a small rural town with ultra-conservative evangelical parents. Luckily, they were much more awesome about his coming out than some posters here probably would be -- his mom now runs their church's chapter of PFLAG and threw a HUGE wedding reception for him and his huband.

    I think people understand that the BS can choose its own members. I however, will neither allow my son to join (until the rule is changed) nor will I contribute money to them or any organization that supports them. YMMV.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.


    23 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    As a 15 year old girl with 3 gay and 1 lesbian friend, a few responses here from certain people make me sick. Although most of the responses make me want to give COTH a big hug.

    Homosexuality is NOT a choice. It is how you are BORN. One of my best friends is gay and he said he has known he was gay since before he knew what the word "gay" meant, he just had to listen to the other 4th graders calling him a faggot because he said he had a crush on one of his classmates. Yes, he has a few straight crushes. No, he will not infect you. And as one of his best friends I can testify that I have had a lot of exposure to gays and am still very straight.

    Thank God my parents told me from an early age that they were accepting of me whether I was straight, lesbian, bi, or transgender. I cannot imagine living in a family where the way your DNA happened to code is not tolerated.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!


    18 members found this post helpful.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2004
    Location
    Left coast, left wing, left field
    Posts
    6,235

    Default

    Psssst, candyappy, IT'S NOT A FREAKIN' CHOICE! It is not a lifestyle choice, it is not a sexual choice, it is not an agenda. It's what people are, can be and should be allowed to be. Made by God, to try to speak your language.

    I content myself by picturing the afterlife for all of the intolerant, bigoted, closed-minded who huddle under the name of God. I see Jesus shaking his head saying "seriously, was I *that* unclear?"
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

    Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?


    22 members found this post helpful.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2006
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    IME, a person makes a choice to be an intolerant bigot.
    Deserves to be said again.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May. 10, 2009
    Location
    NC piedmont
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    There is a difference between "religion" and being a believer and follower of Jesus Christ as the only way to Salvation. Many have written their own " bibles" to reflect their views and many religions have gay ministers.

    There is nothing I can do to stop the course our country is on. It has been done over and over again in the history of the world. I can't stop the push of gay rights, abortion , killing of others. The one thing I can do is not knuckle under to the pressure of others and stand strong on what I know to be right. I know it is right because God gave it to us through the Bible.
    So do you eat pork or shellfish? Or fail to keep a Kosher table in any way? Since those things are specifically forbidden in the same book of the Bible that supposedly denounces gays (though is more likely in reference to an ancient Greek ritual that has nothing to do with sexual orientation), you follow those rules, right? Or are you just a total hypocrite?

    As for the film that "proved" that being gay is a choice, why would any person choose a lifestyle that would include subjecting themselves to ridicule and derision from people like you? It's probably not that they suddenly discovered that they weren't gay after all, but a whole lot more likely that they were just shamed into hiding it and pretending they were "cured." (I use that term loosely. Diseases have cures. Being gay, while not a choice, is also not a disease. Being gay has nothing to do with the kind of person one chooses to be. Being a homophobic bigot, on the other hand, IS a choice, and is says a whole lot about the individual making it.)
    Last edited by HenryisBlaisin'; Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spello


    24 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 1999
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I have no problem drinking water from the same fountain or sharing a restroom with a person of any race or with a person who practices a gay lifestyle. We are all people created by God . My problem is the push that everyone must accept their sexual lifestyle choice . They are not a race of people, or a person with a disability. The only difference is that they choose to have sex with the same gender and they want everyone to say what they do is right and acceptable because deep down inside they know it is wrong. God set his law on every heart, it doesn't matter if you acknowledge God or not.

    You want to blame my views on faith? So be it. Homosexuality has been practiced since the beginning as well as every other thing man does that is wrong. God made His laws clear in the beginning. We are to love the person but that doesn't mean we accept the way they live when it is in direct opposition to the Word of God.
    God in the Bible did make his views clear, but I'm thinking you choose to ignore quite a few of those laws (especially everything except the gay parts in Leviticus).

    What's frustrating is if this about pedophilia - pedophilia is about power, not about sexuality. The vast majority of pedophiles self-identify as heterosexual. But sadly some not-so-openminded people think gay = diddle my kid. Which is so not true.

    I'm glad other people answered the whole choice thing. Yikes.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    I'm pretty sure that if Jesus existed or was around today, his one rule would be this:

    "Don't be a dick."

    I really am quite sure your god has a lot more on his plate, Candyappy, than caring about who is putting whose genitalia where.

    Also? Being gay isn't a choice. Being a homophobe is. I love how COTH's off topic days shows peoples true colors. Very illuminating, no matter how disgusting it may be.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,517

    Default

    I had no idea that the Boy Scouts had an official anti-gay stance, I grew up in a household of girls, and went to Brownies and Girl Guides.
    I do know a man, who as a boy wanted to join the Scouts. He was living in rural Ontario, loved the outdoors and the Scouts appealed to him.
    This little boy was turned away from the Scouts - the Scout Master told him "we don't want your kind".
    He was shamed in a way he could not even understand.
    That little boy was my husband.

    And here I thought that Scout Master was one isolated jerk.

    It just saddens me to see fear,hatred and bigotry alive and well, and Off Topic days on COTH sometimes feels like lifting a rock...
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!


    11 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    8,400

    Default

    BLBGP-you forgot another little Old Testament rule. If your husband dies, you are supposed to marry your brother-in-law.

    Seriously, does everyone think that letting homosexuals into scouting means they are going to do anything but teach camping, nature skills, and other scouting activities? I've never heard of any lifestyle being advanced at activities or meetings, except the Christian one. Since many places the scouts use church facilities, and that was always the way it was whereever I've lived, then it is logical that they would be christian oriented, because that's where they are always meeting, and are sponsored by. However, because of their views, and the public restatement of their views they are now cut off from government support, and I'm sure they've lost many other supporters as well. An organization that is unable to change and adapt the way the Girls Scouts have changed, is not going to prosper. I used to buy some of the Boy Scout products when they sold them outside stores, but no longer. I vote with my money, and I'm voting no on Boy Scouts from now on.

    I also refuse to support the Boy Scouts for their history of supporting, covering up, and enabling child predators. According to the national files there were over 1800 individual offenders in their files since 1959. I'm wondering how many others there were before that, and how many were never even reported to the national leadership? Personally, I don't think that the good they've done for children will ever justify the harm they've enabled people to do to the same children. It is no less heinous than the Catholic church's coverups and enabling of predators in their ranks.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    3 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    4,150

    Default

    If bigotry and homophobia are being taught as part of the "Christian lifestyle," whatever the heck that is, maybe kids should join the basketball team instead.

    Break down that word, "homophobia." A "phobia" is usually defined as an irrational fear. Irrational. Just like letting a cherry-picked interpretation of an ancient book, written by an ancient culture for their particular time, place, and relatively primitive, superstitious understanding of the world, guide your
    actions, words, and associations today.

    If you really want a backlash against "Christians," and I put that name in quotes for a reason, you will get it pitching stuff like this.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2004
    Location
    City of delusion in the state of total denial
    Posts
    8,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy
    The only difference is that they choose to have sex with the same gender and they want everyone to say what they do is right and acceptable because deep down inside they know it is wrong.
    You're right. The only thing I've ever wanted to do is get a pat on the back because I like women as well as men. I don't want to be treated the same as a white Christian heterosexual, I don't want to be afraid to tell half my family about it, and I definitely don't want people to stop making offensive and bigoted comments about my biology based on their beliefs in a faith I don't share. And before someone points to that as the reason I've clearly sinned so much and so deeply, I was raised Jewish.

    So was Jesus.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

    Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG


    8 members found this post helpful.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I had no idea that the Boy Scouts had an official anti-gay stance, I grew up in a household of girls, and went to Brownies and Girl Guides.
    I do know a man, who as a boy wanted to join the Scouts. He was living in rural Ontario, loved the outdoors and the Scouts appealed to him.
    This little boy was turned away from the Scouts - the Scout Master told him "we don't want your kind".
    He was shamed in a way he could not even understand.
    That little boy was my husband.

    And here I thought that Scout Master was one isolated jerk.

    It just saddens me to see fear,hatred and bigotry alive and well, and Off Topic days on COTH sometimes feels like lifting a rock...
    well, it could have very well been the Scout Master was a singular jerk.
    After all...there are no magic cures for lack of personality, regardless of group or social setting. (and it does break my heart to hear that, it really does not matter what club you get excluded from for no apparent reason, it is wrong)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  16. #76
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2004
    Location
    Nescopeck PA
    Posts
    1,826

    Default

    I just saw a person holding a sign on GMA at the "Boy Scout Rallies". It said "Keep Sin out of the Boyscouts". Will they be kicking out liars also?
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com


    4 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    I just saw a person holding a sign on GMA at the "Boy Scout Rallies". It said "Keep Sin out of the Boyscouts". Will they be kicking out liars also?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA...yeah, I know, right.

    being gay is immoral, forcing people to lie is so much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,600

    Default

    I am pleased to see the progress wheels turning.

    This will save me from that awkward moment when I have to explain, in the gentlest way possible, that while we are very handsome in our uniform and being so brave to approach people for a cause and so courteous in our fundraising, that unfortunately I don't support the Boy Scouts because of their policies on not letting gay people be scout leaders.

    That was always way more "parenting" and "civil discourse building" than I wanted to do when stopping in to the Kwik Fill for an ice tea.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2004
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    I hate the idea that blaming hatred/bigotry on your religion is somehow ok in the US.

    I'm also unclear on how they identify gay 11 year olds.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I hate the idea that blaming hatred/bigotry on your religion is somehow ok in the US.

    I'm also unclear on how they identify gay 11 year olds.

    In the US the bigotry is religion based - or at least strongly supported by various and numerous denominations. the 'Adam & Steve' line is a favorite of many a preacher.

    And as far as I heard telling, 11 year olds know pretty well who they like.
    I think the only 'confusion' stems from the fact that what they feel is not the way they are told they are supposed to feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: May. 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
  2. Girl Scouts Badges
    By 111 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Jan. 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
  3. Spin Off - Gays/Homosexuality
    By PonyPeep in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2011, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •