The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 150
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2002
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    They are a private club but I understand they are largely (mostly?) funded by donations. They are smart to update their position on an issue that most people think is a no brainer any more. Sure there are some that will pull funds if they allow gays, but likely most will not and they will gain back the people who left them when they openly discrimated. They aren't stupid - stick their feet in the mud & slowly become the tiny "fundamentalist christian church boy scouts". Or move with the times & stay as big & important & influential as they are now.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    9,293

    Default

    Some people (in real life, not on here) seem to think that if a scout leader is gay or lesbian that they will stand up every week and explain exactly what they do behind bedroom doors, and all while wearing a boa. I doubt that this will ever happen, and to me the most repellent thing about scouting is the lack of compassion for differences. I don't know how a non-christian kid, or an atheist, or one who is or might be gay could get along in scouting with the current climate. For most kids it might be a valuable activity, with lots of fun and learning about nature and the world, but for some it would be a horrible place to have to go. Children need a place that is accepting, and safe, but I'm not sure that BSA is it after the sexual predator files were released. If I had children I wouldn't have them in scouting, but since I don't have kids that's all theoretical anyway.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    5 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    13,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I love these threads -- they always make it very clear who to put on my ignore list.

    What are they so afraid of? Sexual orientation spreads like cooties? Ummm, sorry, homosexuality is present in multiple wildlife species as well as humans, it's not a disease or a fad. These guys think that they are SO irresistible that every gay man/boy will hit on them or molest them? *snork*

    Ah, how society has "gone downhill" since they let us women get to thinkin' and gettin' edumacated and other atrocities. Pretty soon, someone will ask for something ridiculous like "everyone is created equally" or some crap like that. (do I need to point out the sarcasm?)
    I'm not afraid of "gays indoctrinating people" I'm afraid of the govt legislating what PRIVATE clubs can and cannot do.
    And FWIW, I think public schools absolutely should hire gays. I also think that large organizations like the NFL, should be supportive of having openly gay players, and wish that gay businesspeople/political leaders, etc would feel comfortable being openly gay to give gay kids good role models and help them learn that your sexuality doesn't define what you do in life. It does a disservice to have "Gay Pride parades" where looking like freaks is what the news shows, and yet successful gays are not often profiled.
    It's a hard line to walk though, to show successful gays, without feeling like you are throwing sexuality in people's faces, when sexuality is usually a private or nonissue. I mean, it's not like a successful businessman will introduce themselves as "Hi, I'm Bob, president of XYZ corp, and by the way, I like having sex with men." But kids need to know that there are successful people that are gay, and be able to identify with them as role models. The only way they can do that is if successful are open about it.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    @ caddyappy, how do you feel about black people being able to drink from the same water fountain as you? or use the same public restroom?
    I have no problem drinking water from the same fountain or sharing a restroom with a person of any race or with a person who practices a gay lifestyle. We are all people created by God . My problem is the push that everyone must accept their sexual lifestyle choice . They are not a race of people, or a person with a disability. The only difference is that they choose to have sex with the same gender and they want everyone to say what they do is right and acceptable because deep down inside they know it is wrong. God set his law on every heart, it doesn't matter if you acknowledge God or not.

    You want to blame my views on faith? So be it. Homosexuality has been practiced since the beginning as well as every other thing man does that is wrong. God made His laws clear in the beginning. We are to love the person but that doesn't mean we accept the way they live when it is in direct opposition to the Word of God.

    Long ago I had the chance to view a documentary called " It's Not Gay" that was made by some men that had been able to get out of that life after many years in-slaved in it. Through the dedication of many bible believing Christians who worked and ministered to help people stuck in that life. The title says it all and it was quite eye opening..


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    20,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    The only difference is that they choose to have sex with the same gender and they want everyone to say what they do is right and acceptable because deep down inside they know it is wrong. God set his law on every heart, it doesn't matter if you acknowledge God or not.
    Translation: I don't care what faith or religion you practice or if you believe in any faith or religion. My faith is the only true religion and I want everyone in the world to abide by my rules, regardless of what belief system they may have.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    28 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpsoMatt View Post
    I think this is what people are really worried about when they talk about the infamous "gay agenda" .. the horrible possibility that maybe kids will be "indoctrinated" with the idea that there's nothing wrong with being gay.
    Kids are so confused about what is going on inside of themselves. Even today where sex is in everything and everywhere you look. The fact that a person in authority over them or that they may look up to can very well lead them down a path they have no desire to go. They can be so eager to please the adults in their lives. The problem is in the thinking that people are " born" a certain way sexually and that is just not true.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2002
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I have no problem drinking water from the same fountain or sharing a restroom with a person of any race or with a person who practices a gay lifestyle. We are all people created by God . My problem is the push that everyone must accept their sexual lifestyle choice . They are not a race of people, or a person with a disability. The only difference is that they choose to have sex with the same gender and they want everyone to say what they do is right and acceptable because deep down inside they know it is wrong. God set his law on every heart, it doesn't matter if you acknowledge God or not.

    You want to blame my views on faith? So be it. Homosexuality has been practiced since the beginning as well as every other thing man does that is wrong. God made His laws clear in the beginning. We are to love the person but that doesn't mean we accept the way they live when it is in direct opposition to the Word of God.

    Long ago I had the chance to view a documentary called " It's Not Gay" that was made by some men that had been able to get out of that life after many years in-slaved in it. Through the dedication of many bible believing Christians who worked and ministered to help people stuck in that life. The title says it all and it was quite eye opening..
    SIGH.
    Well, bless your heart.


    22 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Translation: I don't care what faith or religion you practice or if you believe in any faith or religion. My faith is the only true religion and I want everyone in the world to abide by my rules, regardless of what belief system they may have.
    There is a difference between "religion" and being a believer and follower of Jesus Christ as the only way to Salvation. Many have written their own " bibles" to reflect their views and many religions have gay ministers.

    There is nothing I can do to stop the course our country is on. It has been done over and over again in the history of the world. I can't stop the push of gay rights, abortion , killing of others. The one thing I can do is not knuckle under to the pressure of others and stand strong on what I know to be right. I know it is right because God gave it to us through the Bible.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    SIGH.
    Well, bless your heart.
    I'd say that about anyone who can't get that the Boy Scouts are a private organization and no one has the right to FORCE them to accept anyone they don't like.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2008
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Translation: I don't care what faith or religion you practice or if you believe in any faith or religion. My faith is the only true religion and I want everyone in the world to abide by my rules, regardless of what belief system they may have.
    This this this this this, a thousand times this. This is what it all inevitably boils down to.
    *friend of bar.ka

    "Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"


    9 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    9,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    The problem is in the thinking that people are " born" a certain way sexually and that is just not true.
    Yes, I'm sure all those gay people in the world chose to be mocked and belittled by society at large for so many years, chose to be ignored and abandoned by their families, chose to put themselves through discrimination and bullying (and murder and all manner of other things). Yep. It's a choice!

    I'm sure all those gay people, who grew up in places where "no one" was gay, the ones whose parents were super conservative christians who sent them to pray-the-gay-away-camp, were just indoctrinated by some evil influence in their lives and made a choice to be emotionally abused by their families and loved ones because their inner being was different from how it's "supposed" to be.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.


    22 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep. 18, 2000
    Location
    Tatertown, KY, USA
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    There is a difference between "religion" and being a believer and follower of Jesus Christ as the only way to Salvation.
    What's the difference?


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    13,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpsoMatt View Post
    What's the difference?
    About 10% of your income per week...


    18 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    About 10% of your income per week...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Aug. 27, 2008
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I'd say that about anyone who can't get that the Boy Scouts are a private organization and no one has the right to FORCE them to accept anyone they don't like.
    I don't think anyone here is actually saying the BSA should be forced to allow gays/lesbians in. I think we can all respect that private organizations can do what they want. I just think most of us are saying we don't agree with their policy on this.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    About 10% of your income per week...
    Ok, you just made me spit a jellybean on my keyboard.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,430

    Default

    So ... guys can be girl scout leaders too?



  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    20,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    There is a difference between "religion" and being a believer and follower of Jesus Christ as the only way to Salvation. Many have written their own " bibles" to reflect their views and many religions have gay ministers.

    There is nothing I can do to stop the course our country is on. It has been done over and over again in the history of the world. I can't stop the push of gay rights, abortion , killing of others. The one thing I can do is not knuckle under to the pressure of others and stand strong on what I know to be right. I know it is right because God gave it to us through the Bible.
    I don't believe in a god, therefore, I can not have god in my heart. I believe you are wrong and there is no god. What gives you the right to tell others how to live based on a book written by men?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    16 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    John 13:34-35
    New International Version (NIV)
    34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

    My savior tells me that I can love my wife and it is ok.

    There are plenty of gay scout leaders now, they just have to be in the closet.
    sigh.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton


    10 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2007
    Location
    Bremo Bluff, Virginia
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I'd say that about anyone who can't get that the Boy Scouts are a private organization and no one has the right to FORCE them to accept anyone they don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack16 View Post
    I don't think anyone here is actually saying the BSA should be forced to allow gays/lesbians in. I think we can all respect that private organizations can do what they want. I just think most of us are saying we don't agree with their policy on this.
    Have I missed something? I don't think the government is forcing anyone to do anything here. I thought it was the national leadership of the BSA considering changes within their own organization.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sep. 22, 2014, 03:21 PM
  2. Girl Scouts Badges
    By 111 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Jan. 26, 2012, 01:29 AM
  3. Spin Off - Gays/Homosexuality
    By PonyPeep in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2011, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness