The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swimming in pools?

Hey!
    Totally useless question/concern:
    I have taken up recreational swimming once or twice a week in an indoor pool facility. It's a nice workout, burns some calories and it gives me a break from my usual gym routine.
    Now, my husband is totally paranoid about germs in pools...he always goes on about dirty/diseased people and "sharing the water" with them. I always thought pools had enough chlorine in them to kill every germ and then some?
    Yesterday someone else mentioned to me that they dislike swimming because they perceive pools as dirty (dirty people swimming in them, people with skin diseases....). Yuck!
    So far I have been happily ignorant of swimming with germs.

Anyone an expert on pool water? Am I dillusional in thinking it's pretty clean???

I am not an expert on pool water, but if the pool is well maintained, you have nothing to worry about.

I mean come on, if pools were really the bacteria traps some people think they are, it would be common knowledge given the widespread use of public pools. I don't think I can recall a single news story about someone becoming sick as a result of swimming in properly maintained public pool.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've never worried about swimming in public swimming pools...they are either chlorinated or they use salt for disinfection. Lots of people swim in pools, including babies, mine has been in them since he was tiny. No pool induced infections.

We live on a lake (actually large pond) and swim in it happily all summer. That IS full of bacteria (dirty people, dirty dogs, dirty fish, dirty frogs, dirty geese...and everyone is on septic here and you know the leeching fields eventually end up in the lake . Still no health issues from it.

The lack of common sense and critical thinking ability in some people never ceases to amaze me.

Jump in the pool and swim, you will survive just fine like millions around the civilized world do.

1 members found this post helpful.

I grew up swimming competitively with nary an issue I will say though I always did hate swimming in indoor pools because they did feel like they could be a breeding ground for something gross because the water was so warm! Maybe thats whats freaking out your husband-he doesn't like feeling like he's swimming through soup?

If they're well maintained and public (thus regulated also) you're fine. If someone poops in the water, they'll shut it down for a bit. Else, no worries. I too swam competitively for years and enjoy it as a workout. Never had issues.

Should be more concerned about the locker room and all the creeping crud you can find in there. Two words: Shower Shoes.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Ditto BuddyRoo. I swam in HS and college and still swim to stay in shape and never had a problem from any pool. Pool decks, however= NASTY. I wear my flip flops until the second I jump in the pool and put them back on as I get out.

the only place where flip-flops should be worn in public!

But the water is maintained, there should be no reason to fear germs (well, for most people there is not reason to fear germs...)

Between Chlorine, salt and uv rays...I don't think anything can survive very long in pool water.

now, I do agree, the locker rooms can be obscenely nasty. Hence the shoes.

My mom would live in the pool if she could....never had an issue, a friend swam competitively, never heard anything falling off there either....

public water fountains though...they are known to be nasty!

I've been a masters swimmer for years. I wouldn't worry about the germs in the water. AS others have said, wear shoes on the pool deck and in the showers!

I vastly prefer the saline pools as 5-day/week exposure to chlorine did not do good things for my skin, but if the pool is maintained, you should be fine.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Yes, I worked in the pool industry for several years on the health department inspection / design side. I personally will NOT go into a pool that is not a water park, YMCA, or a collegiate pool. These types of pools usually have certified pool operators running them who know how to do it correctly. So many pools are very poorly run. Either they do not have any disinfection or not enough. The water chemistry is often not correct. Pools are often not working at the proper filtration rate. Safety equipment is often not functioning correctly. IMO the worst offenders are the hotel/motels. It's usually the maintenance man in charge who is not properly trained as the employee turn over is so frequent. And yes, I have seen massive cases of recreational water illness from pool water. The last one I dealt with was a hotel/motel where the clientele contracted a skin rash. Not fun when your pool party of 20+ has to go to the doctor for treatment. The facility KNEW the water was in adequately treated but did not shut the facility down.

I swam competitively from the age of 5 until I was 17 (well one year was diving but you get the point). I still swim for fun (I am just not motivated enough to swim masters and and got kind of burned out on it. I mostly did distance events and found it wore on me swimming the same events over and over at every meet- hence the year of diving.).

Add me to the list of people that trust the cleanliness of the pool over any pool deck or locker room. Definitely have a pair of deck/shower sandals.

My biggest complaint with swimming is that it destroys my hair.
    My blog:

RAWR

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTalk View Post
    Yes, I worked in the pool industry for several years on the health department inspection / design side. I personally will NOT go into a pool that is not a water park, YMCA, or a collegiate pool. These types of pools usually have certified pool operators running them who know how to do it correctly. So many pools are very poorly run. Either they do not have any disinfection or not enough. The water chemistry is often not correct. Pools are often not working at the proper filtration rate. Safety equipment is often not functioning correctly. IMO the worst offenders are the hotel/motels. It's usually the maintenance man in charge who is not properly trained as the employee turn over is so frequent. And yes, I have seen massive cases of recreational water illness from pool water. The last one I dealt with was a hotel/motel where the clientele contracted a skin rash. Not fun when your pool party of 20+ has to go to the doctor for treatment. The facility KNEW the water was in adequately treated but did not shut the facility down.
    I guess I hadn't thought about hotel pools -- those can be pretty gross.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTalk View Post
    This. I too worked in the swimming pool industry for many years and won't get near a public pool, or worse yet, hot tub. That "chlorine smell"? Bacteria. That "green hair"? Copper in the water from unbalanced pH eating away at plumbing. Yuck. Most rashes are caused by poorly maintained water, not the cholorine/chemicals themselves. No thanks.