The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns near Champaign, IL??

Hello wonderful COTH peoples!

Ya'll helped one of my students find a great barn in California...now to test your skills again.

One of my best friends will be on an externship to complete her vet med degree in Champaign, IL for a year.

Any recommended barns in the area?

Obviously, quality instruction with safe, healthy lesson horses are a must. Does not have to be an A show barn but she may want to do a local show or two while shes there. Not sure how much time she will have on her hands so a flexible lesson program and a short commute would be nice.

She is currently doing 2'6 - 2'9 on our very competitive local circuit and doing really well!

THANKS!!!

The University of Illinois Equestrian Team rides with Terri Foreman at Commonwealth Farm and that's the only barn I know of in the area that has a real English riding lesson program and that travels to shows. I boarded a horse a couple other barns in the area, but neither had a legitimate in house trainer or lesson horses. It doesn't sound like your student is bringing a horse so those places would be out.

Feel free to PM me for more info, but sadly it's not a very H/J friendly town. There are lots of great trainers a couple hours north in the Chicago area, but that does not even come close to meeting your short commute requirement!

I rode with Terri for two years while I was working at UIUC. Her facility isn't fancy but her school horses were great (I wonder if miss ruby is still there-loved that mare), and her instruction was fabulous. I know she takes folks to shows, was really active in pony club (her daughter had the coolest games pony), and coached the team.

Prices were right too. Decent indoor. I'd totally recommend her.

My school competes against Illinois State in IHSA and they ride out of Hunter Oaks in Carlock. The barn is very nice and pretty and the school horses seemed nice. I think it is more of an eventing barn though. And its a little outside of Champaign. http://www.hunteroaksfarm.com/index.html

Thanks everyone! We really appreciate the help!