The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skin care systems...Drugstore vs. Department store

What do you use, and why?

In my early teens I didn't take very good care of my skin. Thankfully scars have faded, but it turned me into a skin care nazi. I have used both types in the past, and for a couple years used and sold Mary Kay and loved the products. However I don't have a "MK lady" nearby and I hate having to wait for it to ship from a friend who still sells it.

I love Estee Lauder make-up, but am in my mid-twenties, and it seems their skin care is more geared towards ladies in their late 30's+.

I'm leaning towards Clinique because it's more affordable and seemingly has more options for "younger" skin. However, I still have to make the drive to the department store, and it is significantly higher than Neutrogena, Ponds, Olay, etc. However you only get one face, and I want to take care of it.

I'm also interested in reading articles debating department store vs. drugstore skin care systems. I've done some searches but haven't found much info.

I posted in another skin care thread that I switched to Arbonne back in April.

It's botanical, vegan and super high quality. Orderinig is entirely web based and they ship really quickly. PM me if you want more info.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Your thread title omits one popular option: the grocery store.

Olay makes fantastic products, and not the tarted up kind, but the stuff on the lower shelf. Their Complete lotion and cream for sensitive skin is wonderful and has 15 SPF.

Clinique is not what I consider affordable.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I have sensitive skin and Rosacea. While I used to use Clinique or Philosophy, I've found that many of the dept store/expensive brands irritate my skin or eyes. Some of the Clinique and Philosophy products would probably still work, but others no.

Olay for sensitive skin is usually good for me. Only physical sunscreen.

Aveda sensitive skin products are fine.

I LOVED Skin Effects cleanser for sensitive skin but CVS doesn't seem to carry it now. The moisturizer isn't silky/emolient enough.

Cetaphil and Cerave are also fine.

Basis is CRAP for me. Neutrogena is CRAP, they don't know how to do sensitive (the labels are all-telling!!)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

I think my step-mom used Clinique for her sensitive skin.

but tests (particularly in Europe, but I am sure similar studies have been done in the US) have shown that the grocery store/discounter brands are just as good, some even better than the name brands, at a fraction of the cost.

I have been very satisfied with the Walmart knock-off for Oil of Olay cleansers and facial lotion, but when I do have episodes that make my face break out, the only thing that does not burn like Hades is Nivea, the classic cream in the blue jar.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

My skin is a combination of oily/dry and some cleansers actually burn my face including Proactive. I had the hardest time finding the right products for my skin. I tried drug store and department store products and haven't found anything until about 6 months ago. Bare Minerals works fabulous with my skin. I have a tendency to break out like crazy. But with a combination of Cetaphil skin cleanser and moisturizer as well as Bare Minerals, my skin has never looked better!

I use Bare Minerals Matte and the Mineral Veil Finishing Powder. I also use Prime Time Foundation Primer after I put on moisturizer. It smooths out my skin tone and makes my skin feel silky smooth It costs a little more then I want to spend on makeup but it lasts a good little while (Still on my first one) and it works well with my skin so it's worth it. I would highly recommend it.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

I am big fan of the Yes to.. line and I really love the Yes to Carrots Daily SPF Moisturizer. I usually order it on Amazon but I've seen it in drug and grocery stores too.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

In spite of what the research indicates, my skin is adamant that anything I can purchase in a grocery store, drug store or even Target is going to piss it off and result in irritation on a major scale, breakouts and premature aging. Sephora and Ole Henricksen are my skins best friends, along with a SPF 50 sunscreen my MIL sends me. No chemicals of any kind in it, hasnt been approved in the USA. Pfffft..

I WISH I could use less expensive products. But even Cetaphil breaks me out.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

Proactive is HARSH stuff. Used it once ages ago thinking it was for sensitive skin. I swelled up and looked like Elephant Woman!!! Gross!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I remember reading a Consumer's Report article on this. They tested a bunch of products and gave highest marks to one of the Olay products. I think it may have been regenerist. I will have to look it up. But they tested the high dollar stuff and picked Olay. I like Olay and Aveeno products.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

2 members found this post helpful.

I quite like Biotherm. No real reason why (meaning, I don't think it's better than cheaper or pricier options, and honestly I think for the most part the price difference comes from the brand and not the formulation), I just like it.

Derma e is a really nice brand. I get mine at The Fresh Market, but I think you can get it at Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, and other upscale grocery stores. It's also found at drug stores and Health Food stores.

Another brand you may want to try is Boots - they've won a lot of awards. I've always seen it/bought it at Target.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    In spite of what the research indicates, my skin is adamant that anything I can purchase in a grocery store, drug store or even Target is going to piss it off and result in irritation on a major scale, breakouts and premature aging. Sephora and Ole Henricksen are my skins best friends, along with a SPF 50 sunscreen my MIL sends me. No chemicals of any kind in it, hasnt been approved in the USA. Pfffft..

I WISH I could use less expensive products. But even Cetaphil breaks me out.
    Same type of skin. Have used most all of the existing brands and reacted in some fashion to all cleansers except Mary Kay and Aveeno. After spending hundreds of $ buying all sorts of makeup that ended up irritating my skin and having to throw it away I quit trying different brands.

Now I use Aveeno skin care since I am not familiar with any local MK dealers. Only use eye makeup, Almay for now, but not everyday. Mainly because daily use of any makeup results in irriation, itching, etc. Physician's Formula is another drugstore brand that has been ok.

We don't have alot of choices - one of the joys of living in a small town. But it really doesn't matter since after 30+ years of my personal testing - makeup either causes reaction or if no reaction, they stop making it.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I have really sensitive skin. Bruises easily, scars easily, I'm lucky if I go a day without hives since my skin has allergic reactions to various lotions, laundry detergents, pet shampoos, horse sweat (I have no idea why...) etc.

Here is my skin care system, and honestly, you just have to go by trial and error to see what works. I have years of scars that look like chicken pox from some of the allergic reactions I've had growing up (and then being really slow to heal). Approaching the age of 24, I think I've figured out my skin (mostly).

For my face, I avoid cleansers and simply use a mild exfoliant once a day, twice a day if I've been sweaty and disgusting. I alternate between two: Neutrogena sensitive skin acne scrub and L'occitane Immortelle (I've used Angelique as well; I liked the scent better with Immortelle). I have terrible forehead acne because of my bangs, and my skin goes AWOL that time of the month despite BC, so having the acne scrub is a lifesaver because it never lets my skin get to that point of full-on break-out. HOWEVER, if I'm going to be outside for more than three hours (which happens a lot for me in the summer), I use the L'occitane Immortelle. My skin has a terrible reaction if I've used the Neutrogena and then I'm out in the sun--skin literally burns and peels off like sunburn except more painfully and quickly. Also, I wear SPF 50 sunscreen every single day all over my face and body. Usually I use Neutrogena--I am horrifically allergic to Coppertone.

When it's winter, my keratosis pilaris (sounds really terrible, really they are just unsightly red bumps that look like chicken skin) flares up bad on my arms and thighs, so I use Aveeno severe dry skin nighttime lotion every night in addition to my daily sunscreen. I also like the Aveeno oatmeal bath packets. Great for skin, doesn't cause a single irritation.

In terms of make-up, it depends on the day. If I get to work at home or only have to run a few errands that day, no way I'm putting on any make-up. If I do have to be out and about all day, I'll wear bare minerals which I really like. For my singing career and any other event I have to look my best, I have finally found a liquid foundation I like, and my skin does not develop bad acne withing six hours of taking it off. Chanel Perfection Lumiere--it goes on liquid, dries like a matte. It lasts eight hours which is even better since I am not one to do my make-up more than once a day. Their mascara is wonderful as well, but that's another story in which I blame my grandmother for making me an addict.

L'occitane and Chanel are the two things that have been big investments for me, but at this point, when I find something that works, I pay and shut up because it's not worth aggravating my skin any further. Nothing like trying to give a presentation to the whole (albeit small) music dept at your school and can't stop itching in unsightly areas while on stage because you tried a new lotion someone SWORE was perfect for sensitive skin--but it wasn't!

I have very sensitive skin that is dry and prone to redness. I have become a fan of this skin care line that I buy at Shopper's Drug Mart (in Canada).

It is for truly senstive and intolerant skin.

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Avene_500107.htm
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

This site is a great resource. The woman who runs it has published several books and she is good at separating marketing hype from performance:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia/

This is another very helpful site. Because cosmetic products are largely unregulated, there are many bad (read cancer-causing ingredients). This site provides a ton of information:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Personally, I've found many of the "department store" brands to be over priced and over hyped. I work in the specialty silicones industry for a company that provides many ingredients to the personal care market. I work with formulating chemists and it was an eye opener to find out that some of the "drug store" brands are made with more effective ingredients than the high end brands.

Myself? I am in my early 50s. I use mostly all-natural moisturizers like shea butter and mango butter. There's not much more that you can do other than keep moisture in and I'd prefer not to put a lot of chemicals on my skin.

Olay does have some very good products, especially if you avoid those with added fragrance.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I use the Obagi Clenziderm line for oily skin. This line has seriously been a major skin saver for me and I will not go back to anything else. I struggled with adult acne for most of my early to mid twenties, and pretty much tried everything under the sun with the exception of accutane (had done that in college and while I loved the results and would do it again, I also had to keep in mind the fact that I didn't want any residual medication in my system when we started having kids). Finally went to a medical esthetician who carried the Obagi line and it completely turned my skin around! I started out with NuDerm, then switched to Clenziderm (their acne line). I also purchased a Clarisonic (which rocks) and I completely stopped using any OTC lotions (when I do need something, I just mix up a batch of glycerine and aloe gel).

So far my skin has been clear with the exception of an occasional breakout around that time of the month. I also try to eat a very clean diet with few inflammatory foods, in addition to a ton of water.

Olay works great for me. I'd tried a lot of different "higher end" brands and either wound up breaking out badly or dry and itchy. Time after time I came back to Olay and now I've learned to just stick with what works.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I've used the Clinique skin care line in the past, and I wasn't particularly thrilled with it, especially considering the price. It made my sensitive skin super dry. Once I got out of adolescence, I started to get eczema on my face, which was unpleasant and hideous (think scaley, red, flaky patches). My skin has always rebelled on drugstore skincare products. For a while all I could use was Cetaphil (which was pretty decent). Then I got hooked up with a Mary Kay lady who's a friend of a friend and started using one of their skin care lines, and holy carp, my skin feels amazing now. I tried the other Mary Kay skin care lines, and this is the only one I didn't react to. I'm in my mid-twenties too, and use the Botanical line (which I think is one of the cheaper), and then mix and match eye cream, vitamin-c serum, etc from their more expensive line. I feel like a get a great value, for way cheaper than drug store prices. I've started using MK makeup too, and like it as much as my Clinique stuff (I've been devoted to Clinique makeup since high-school). And the fact that it's prices are on par with fancy drug store makeup is pretty sweet.

There are MK ladies everywhere. I can't imagine you couldn't find a local one. I know some people buy it on ebay/amazon too. If I were you I would get on the Mary Kay website and find a local rep.

Hmm, I am pretty much a drugstore-only person. Almay foundation with the salicylic acid in it, Maybelline loose power, eyeliner/shadow from Wet & Wild that's 99 cents at CVS. Soap and water to clean, and 91% alcohol as a toner. But I've got tough skin and don't seem (crosses fingers) to have any sort of allergy issues.
    I did have years and years of icky oily skin (not so much zits as grease), especially in hot weather. Did a 1 year course of Accutane when I was 42 which took care of the problem.
    I also don't throw out eye makeup every 4 months or whatever the "official" directive is. I don't let it get gross and crumbly or stinky, but I am not tossing a perfectly good half-full $9 tube of mascara just because.