The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Our local Humane Society is funded but not entirely by HSUS.
    You might need to double check your information. I have never heard of a local humane society getting even partial funding from HSUS. HSUS sells humane education materials to local humane societies, but they also sell those same materials to "pounds" and municipal animal shelters. Likewise subscriptions to the HSUS magazine.

I worked for several years at our regional humane society, as a program coordinator, and the money does not flow from HSUS. The money flows to them.
    Sheilah

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I have asked twice and no answer. I figure that kind of answered itself...
    Now that is just mean gang mentality!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

1 members found this post helpful.

To OldPony -

JFTR, these are my horses:

Sarah - 9 yr MorganXPerch, in the biz for 1 year https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

and Oscar, 13 year old Perch, 8 years working in the biz for us https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

So michaleenflynn you actaully work as a carriage driver ? or a carriage owner ? I was not aware not that it changes anything...

So you benefit directly from the business that you promote. Clearly you have an invested perception of the business, not objective in the least....
    Last edited by stolen virtue; Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Sent email.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Sent email.
    Thank you so much, DLee!

OP, thank you for posting -- it's hard to stay abreast of legislation schedules for equine issues (esp. out of state), so I appreciate the sort of info you shared in the original post.

Your horses are lovely.

Yes I'm sure it is with great shock that michaleenflynn revealed that she is indeed a carriage driver [sarcasm]. Your horses are lovely... I have a soft spot for grays! Tho' your sig line has your FB page on it (I've visited a few times before ) I promise the next time I am in NYC I am going to walk up and down the carriage line and look for ya. I've never actually taken a carriage ride...not in NYC anyway, can't really justify the $$ but I'd love to just say HI! I'll be the one going "Who's the COTH lady?" because I won't remember your name

SV, As far as being objective about legislation... here's some more sarcasm but hey I'm sick and it's almost 2 am I can't help it... I can't sleep... Oh yes, laws are always best written by people who have absolutely NO involvement in the business or sport? I'm so glad my state legistlators find it easy to tell me how to teach and how to "grade" me as a teacher in the classroom when they've never been a teacher. Insurance companies are doing a fine job of controlling how my doctor treats my latest round of maladies because obviously they all went to medical school so they know better than he does. Maybe the Health Dept should take a look at the 1-fall rule in eventing, too. I'm not saying everyone just governs themselves but perhaps we need to let the experts check in on these kinds of things. It just makes sense.

It is not in violation of our advertising policies to post about legislation affecting the equine industry, so let's shelve the debate on that issue and stop the personal commentary.

It's fine to debate issues related to the legislation, so feel free to continue discussing that, but keep the bickering out of it.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

6 members found this post helpful.

If this bill does pass, what is the other high profile horses in the "city"? Police horses. I would think that they would be more at risk for injury.

Getting a "dressing down" from a teller at a bank where we do a lot of business because "gasp" I have shoes on one of my horses and then handed me pamphlets for every animal activist group she belonged to. I can deal with those wackos on the internet, in real life not so much. She no longer works there (I was not the only one that happened to).

I think once HSUS got their foot in the door, they will come in with guns a blazing.

MF, e-mail sent!

4 members found this post helpful.

If you think about it, SV is doing us all a huge favor. All her rantings have kept this thread busy and on the first page. With six pages people who might not have noticed it before might be reading it. Thank you for helping get the word out, SV.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    If you think about it, SV is doing us all a huge favor. All her rantings have kept this thread busy and on the first page. With six pages people who might not have noticed it before might be reading it. Thank you for helping get the word out, SV.
    Right, gives us one more chance to reach more with important information for those that still are clueless about what animal rights groups are all about.

Then each one can follow thru, find out more about this, how it does or may affect what they do with their animals and decide where they want to stand on these issues.

EVERYONE has a voice in this, if you agree or disagree, but be aware that others may not agree and also have the right to state that, from either side.

It should not surprise anyone that, this being a horse owning and using forum, most will want to protect that right, not follow animal rights extremists myths and propaganda, but expose them for what they are.

What is clear to anyone that reads here long enough, everyone here is very concerned with true animal welfare, that what we do with our horses is not abuse.
    What is proper use or crosses the line into abuse, that we may have our differences, but we all start from the premise that yes, humans owning and using domestic animals is the way THIS world works.
    We all depend on each other, are a symbiotic part of the same environment and that is OK.
    Unlike what animal rights pushes for, eliminating any use of animals by humans.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    So michaleenflynn you actaully work as a carriage driver ? or a carriage owner ? I was not aware not that it changes anything...

So you benefit directly from the business that you promote. Clearly you have an invested perception of the business, not objective in the least....
    So all that tells me is that for the last I don't know year ? You have been responding to each and every one of her posts but have never bothered to click the link in her signature or read any of the pages that have been provided.

SV I don't like you ...HOWEVER if there comes a day when your horses or your job comes under fire by any of the aforementioned groups as long as you are operating within the law and your horses are living within standard wellness guidelines I will go to bat for you.

When situations or legislation has come up about Breeding , the breeders chime in , When there was Eventing legislation on the table we heard from many of the eventing pro's including but not limited to David O'Connor and Denny Emmerson(both who make a living from eventing). I don't think its fair at all SV to pigeon hole McFlynn because you don't agree with carriage horses that she should not get to defend them.

Its not "just" their business being taken away its also their personal property. She is not defending just her right to free enterprise she is defending her right to KEEP her horses.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Its not "just" their business being taken away its also their personal property. She is not defending just her right to free enterprise she is defending her right to KEEP her horses.
    This is a big part that people forget - it's not just about putting Dobbin out to pasture because you don't like the job he had - it's shutting down an entire industry and putting, literally, hundreds of people out of work and jeopardizing other jobs and industries, such as vets, farriers, feed stores, tack stores, etc. It's hard enough to convince vet students to be large animal vets or farriers to work with draft horses. Why in the world would you want to make it even harder?
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by x-halt-salute View Post
    OP, thank you for posting -- it's hard to stay abreast of legislation schedules for equine issues (esp. out of state), so I appreciate the sort of info you shared in the original post.

Your horses are lovely.
    Thank you, thank you, x-halt!!

Latest and greatest from E.Forel on her silly abolitionist page.

What does E. Forel see when she looks in the mirror?
    Why, William Lloyd Garrison -- who else??

"No Walk in the Park
    3 hours ago
    TO ALL OUR SUPPORTERS: Please be patient - we - the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages is and we have been campaigning to shut down this inhumane, abusive and dangerous trade for many years. INSTITUTIONAL, LEGALIZED cruelty does not go away quickly - especially when it is propped up by the political machine. The campaign to end human slavery in the US went on for years and years until victory. William Lloyd Garrison, a well known anti human slavery abolitionist, fought the good fight for over 30 years. We hope it is not going to be as long but RIGHT will win in the end."

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Latest and greatest from E.Forel on her silly abolitionist page.

What does E. Forel see when she looks in the mirror?
    Why, William Lloyd Garrison -- who else??

"No Walk in the Park
    3 hours ago
    TO ALL OUR SUPPORTERS: Please be patient - we - the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages is and we have been campaigning to shut down this inhumane, abusive and dangerous trade for many years. INSTITUTIONAL, LEGALIZED cruelty does not go away quickly - especially when it is propped up by the political machine. The campaign to end human slavery in the US went on for years and years until victory. William Lloyd Garrison, a well known anti human slavery abolitionist, fought the good fight for over 30 years. We hope it is not going to be as long but RIGHT will win in the end."
    LULWUT?

I ma sure it makes sense to her, but what is she trying to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    If this bill does pass, what is the other high profile horses in the "city"? Police horses. I would think that they would be more at risk for injury.

Getting a "dressing down" from a teller at a bank where we do a lot of business because "gasp" I have shoes on one of my horses and then handed me pamphlets for every animal activist group she belonged to. I can deal with those wackos on the internet, in real life not so much. She no longer works there (I was not the only one that happened to).

I think once HSUS got their foot in the door, they will come in with guns a blazing.

MF, e-mail sent!
    Great post, thank you for emailing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LULWUT?

I ma sure it makes sense to her, but what is she trying to say?
    Basically she is equating their "cause" with human slavery. She see's herself as some sort of slavery liberator.

I think simply stated the fact that SHE/THEY equate working horses with human slavery defines how mentally ill they are.

Go and read the rest of the post, especially this:

“The other side has lied about our intentions trying to build up support saying that we want to shut down all carriage horse operations (not true - we are focused on NYC and other urban areas), horse riding and basically anything to do with animals. JUST URBAN CARRIAGE HORSE OPERATIONS!”

And then go and read this:

http://bayside.patch.com/articles/pa...lowing_comment (or http://tinyurl.com/9jlwqty):

Elizabeth Forel
    9:56 am on Saturday, December 17, 2011
    NYC will be the domino for the beginning of the end of horse abusive industries all over the world.

Really, who is the liar now?
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

2 members found this post helpful.