The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another saddle question!

Because we just haven't had enough.

First, I wish I had been smart enough to snap a pic yesterday but I didn't. I bought a used Toulouse close contact (can't remember the exact one) with a long flap as I need them.

So it fits me perfect and I thought it fit the horse fine. I was only doing walk at the time I tried the saddle out (he's just off the track). but yesterday I worked him pretty hard and by the time I got off my saddle was back to the middle of his back and the girth around his middle! The problem is his shoulders. THEY ARE MASSIVE (like think QH stock horse massive) and he has little to no whither. A tried a wide tree on him but that didn't work either.

I know I can put on a breast plate to keep it up, but then I'm worried I"m going to interfere with the shoulder. I mean there's a reason it's moving back, right? Also a no slip pad, but again am I just causing an issue somewhere? Urgh, not really sure what to do.

I'm not really sure what exactly the problem is, if the saddle fits when it's in the right position and is just sliding back a lot, use a breast plate and a no slip pad.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

If you do a search you should come up with threads that deal with saddles that work best on horses with massive shoulders. Sorry not to be of more help but I am no expert on saddle fitting. However, its been discussed enough times on this forum that there should be lots of information floating around, although sometimes it is hard to find. If the saddle moves as much as you say it does, I would be hesitant about just adding the breast plate until I found out for sure if the saddle is causing any comfort issues for your horse. Is there a good saddle fitter in your area that you could consult with?

The only one i've found requires that I bring the horse to him. Not a huge deal but I dont' have a trailer so it's a bit of a pain. May just have to.

Oh I get that I can solve the issue by putting a breast plate on. And as it sits on the horse it looks to be good. My question was more of if it's going back that much, maybe it isn't as good of a fit as I thought.

I did try and search but the terms are so vague (big shoulder saddle) that you get so many hits it's hard to find what you're actually looking for. It's easier to search when you have a more limited search term.

There are quite a few people on the forums that are knowledgeable about saddle fit, hopefully they will post soon and offer help. It might be a good idea to take some pictures and post them too. If you don't want to trailer to the saddle fitter, what about Trumbull Mtn.? They are supposed to be great about fitting by mail, with wither tracings, photos, etc.

Saddles slipping back can be caused by issues with width (usually too wide), panel configuration or tree shape ... or all three. If you have a good fitter in your area, you might want to contact them and see what they'd say; if you don't know one, please let me know where you are, and I'll see if I can find one for you.

Wither tracings and photos are a great way to work long-distance. Panther Run Saddlery and Equestrian Imports both have a lot of experience doing that. Just FYI, Trumbull Mtn. Tack no longer has their 2 most experienced long-distance fitters - when the shop move its physical location, they went independent.

I had no clue that people did saddle fitting by distance! I'm located in NoVA but my horse is located in Brandywine, Maryland which is the South East side of DC (not the more popular North West or Mt. Airy outside of Baltimore).

You might contact Bill Wood - he's a fitter I've worked with before and found very good, and he covers the VA/MD area. http://www.thesaddlefitter.com/.

Yet, again, Trumbull still has fitting experience and has a large inventory of saddles. Clearly, someone is attempting to steer business away.

Why, no. Just stating facts. But OP, if you have a local fitter, hands-on is always best.

1 members found this post helpful.

hmmm....whatever.