The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jessica Bassett; Otter Lake, MI?

Hi, folks. My instructor, LAZ, and I saw a horse owned by Jessica Bassett from Otter Lake, MI yesterday and I'm having him vetted this afternoon for possible purchase as my new lower level eventing partner. Jessica was very nice, accommodating and seemed like a straight shooter, which we appreciate.

Has anyone had any dealings with Jessica in the past? Or know anyone else who has? Just looking for general feedback b/c the last time I bought a horse from someone I didn't know, I ended up getting burned. As I said, Jessica seems nice and honest, but I just thought I'd check. Send me a PM if you'd prefer b/c I really don't want to smear anyone's name on here.

Thanks!
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I don't know her but if you need any help up in this direction (well, I am probably 3 hours from Otter Lake, but on your way most likely) let me know. I have a stall if you need a place to overnight on the way home or something.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks so much for the kind offer, DW. I am currently trying to decide if I want to do a turn 'n burn or stay overnight before heading home with the new guy. I'm waiting to see how today's PPE goes before thinking too hard on it b/c it might become a non-issue, but I hope not!

Btw, I guess LAZ contacted your instructor, Erika, to see if she had anything for sale that might suit me. Turns out she didn't, but we figured as long as we were in Michigan...

Thanks again!
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Sent you a PM.

I, too, am interested in a horse being sold by the same lady. She appears to do a great job with the horses she has, any additional information?

Just be aware with Jessica. [edit] Be aware of the front she may put on.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 28, 2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: non-horse-related personal commentary

Do you have proof when accusing someone being of that caliber of lack there of?
    Don't know the person you speak of but it's more than ridiculous to make those accusations as it become slander.

And here we go ......

Greenies with "inside information". Bring on the houseguests.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    And here we go ......

Greenies with "inside information". Bring on the houseguests.
    Oh yes, the drama! The last one cracks me up. "I don't know that person but you are slandering her so I'm going to join CoTH and object!" Really? Of all the threads and all the posts on CoTH, THIS is the one which just coincidentally prompts you to join?

Greenies will be hearing the news: 1) It's not slander if it's true, and 2) the burden of proof in the case of slander is on the alleged victim who must show, in order to prove slander, that the statements are NOT TRUE. Isn't there some burden of intent as well?

I'm certainly not defending the vague and coy accusations made by greenie Stardust6, although I certainly can't dispute anything so vaporous. [edit]
    ACMEeventing, I'll pass you a soda if you'll share your popcorn.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 28, 2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: reference to edited post

Default Jessica Bassett

Does anyone know how this worked out with Jessica Bassett. We just bought a driving team from her but are concerned it is a scam. We bought them unseen and are having them shipped halfway across the country. Any info on her??

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Izarra View Post
    Does anyone know how this worked out with Jessica Bassett. We just bought a driving team from her but are concerned it is a scam. We bought them unseen and are having them shipped halfway across the country. Any info on her??

Thanks!
    She exists and was very pleasant when we dealt with her.

Thank you so much! I bought the team from a post she had on a Facebook page. Then I started worrying it was a scam. We have to have the horses shipped and it will be a couple of weeks. Just getting paranoid! Especially when I saw her post two more team/wagon combos within the next few days. This makes me feel better!!

The horse we bought was smaller than advertised and certainly not a Freisan cross, but a nice guy regardless.

She said she markets horses for other people, so maybe the person told her it was a Friesian cross? I have four Friesians myself. :-) Love them. We bought a team of percheron mares from her. Thanks again for the info!

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Jessica Bassett

Yes Jessica is a dealer. As you know she does a very good job presenting the horse for it's use and the prices are always reasonable.. I bought a really cute trail horse from her last year and am really happy. At my age, mid 60's, he's the horse I need and I'm having so much fun! He was 6 and still had some silly young horse stuff but no biggie.
    She always seems to find nice horses and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her for anyone looking. Her husband does driving and puts time on them often and I've seen they have had driving horses for sale too.
    I live in Mi. about 2 hours away from her. Any more questions, just ask.
    BTW I haven't read the Chronicle since the 80's but I just joined this forum because I saw Jessica's name.

I looked at a horse she had available last year. The horse was exactly what I was looking for, sound, and I think she was totally honest about him. Unfortunately he had one minor issue that would have made it difficult for the kids at the barn, so I didn't buy him (and still have some remorse!) I would contact her again without hesitation.

I just wanted to revive this thread because I too was unsure of who she was. I had a horse who was too much for me to handle and she took him on consignment. She trailered him around and exposed him to cattle sorting, busy roads, trail environments and show jumping. He ended up selling this morning and I just wanted to let everyone know I have nothing but good things to say about her and how she operates her business. She is an amazing rider and I am so glad she found a good home for my horse.

I also plan on buying a horse from her as well. She advertises them as exactly what they are faults and all.