The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff on Travel Thread -- COTH Travel Club

I guess, giving the nature of this board, that this could only be active during Off Topic Days, but I was just thinking that there are quite a few of us singles, male and female, here and that, sometimes, singles can have a hard time finding someone to travel with.

What if we started a thread on this forum where we could post that we want to take a trip somewhere and need traveling partners? It could be a bit iffy, because we know each other, but we don't KNOW each other, if you understand that. I guess it could be kind of a jumping off place where people could spin off into PM or email and discuss whether such a trip would be worthwhile. Ideally, of course, it would be nice if the prospective traveling companions were close enough so that they could meet, and maybe even spend a day sightseeing together, before final decisions were made, but that wouldn't have to be a requirement.

Thoughts -- Yeys -- Nays?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

I vote yes, and I'll even be the first to toss some info out there:

Mid-20's, but no restriction on ages. I'm a people person, a talker, I'll make small talk with anyone and not afraid to meet new people.

My budget is on the smaller side, but I'm looking to go ANYWHERE in Europe, or South America, and I'd be open to other options. I can most easily fly out of Boston, Hartford, or JFK. I'd be fine also meeting someone at a destination, probably.

Edit to add: I'm looking to go ASAP!
    Last edited by GoForAGallop; Feb. 5, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I'll throw one out, though I'm in the very beginnings of thinking about this trip and it would be for 2014 or beyond. This would be a self-guided hiking tour (easy to moderate, 9 to 13 miles a day) through the Cotswolds. You hike, the company transports your luggage from inn to inn. http://www.sherpa-walking-holidays.c...tain/wmrrc.asp

I'm in my mid-sixties, but don't care how old or young my traveling companions are, and the plan would be to get my walking legs up to par before I go. I'm quiet, and travel with a kindle so don't expect to be entertained 24/7, a quiet sleeper who doesn't snore as long as I have my CPAP (maybe even if I don't, as I need to get retested now that I've lost so much weight.)

I'm very flexible as far as time of the year goes.

I love this idea. Especially for avoiding single supplement, or for group trips. I've been looking at various riding vacations and many specify a minimum group size, so if there's no formed group to join the single is outta luck

I'm 35 this year, fit, and love diving and adventure in general. I'd especially love to go on a riding vacation but am not up to something like hunting around Ireland, unless I had a very nice horse who'd always stop when asked, and could avoid the jumps, LOL.

I've been to a few countries in Europe, Dubai, Tanzania, Korea, Japan, etc. Pretty much up for any ideas really - I've never done a cruise for ex, the Alaskan cruises interest me. I'm friendly and outgoing enough but I'm not a social butterfly and club-hopping is definitely not my cup of tea.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Love this idea. I'm looking at a couple years out still (want to finish paying some debts) but really want to be able to take a couple NICE vacations... and while I hope my love life picks up again, I don't want the lack of it to limit my vacation options. Personally... I want to go to New Zealand or Africa (SA or Kenya), but again... it's a ways off still. definitely let's keep this thread going!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I love this idea. Especially for avoiding single supplement, or for group trips. I've been looking at various riding vacations and many specify a minimum group size, so if there's no formed group to join the single is outta luck

I'm 35 this year, fit, and love diving and adventure in general. I'd especially love to go on a riding vacation but am not up to something like hunting around Ireland, unless I had a very nice horse who'd always stop when asked, and could avoid the jumps, LOL.

I've been to a few countries in Europe, Dubai, Tanzania, Korea, Japan, etc. Pretty much up for any ideas really - I've never done a cruise for ex, the Alaskan cruises interest me. I'm friendly and outgoing enough but I'm not a social butterfly and club-hopping is definitely not my cup of tea.
    When are you looking to go?

I REALLY want to do the safari on horseback in Botswana. I'm KICKING myself for not doing it when I lived closer. Now that it looks like we may end up in Mozambique, I'm going to do it. And as it gets closer, I will certainly post on COTH to see if anyone wants to join. I would be able to offer accommodations pre/post the adventure.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

How about WEG in Normandy? There is an equestour trip there and with the single supplement it's very expensive. It's expensive without the supplement, but almost doable.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    When are you looking to go?
    My schedule is pretty open given enough planning time. Summers are best because they make us take block leave so I'll be on vacation whether I go anywhere or not, but for trips of about a week or so I can go practically anytime as long as I give adequate notice.

I might be going to Poland in late summer/fall, but that's still in the early planning "maybe" stages.

This is a great idea!! Anyone want to do New Zealand in late fall? I'm going back again, and though I'm fine alone, it would be fun with company too!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

1 members found this post helpful.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Africa is definitely on my bucket list. But, it will be South Africa, because of the safety factor, and it's a few years off yet. There are several wonderful looking lodges there that take you out on photo safari. I've got a friend who wants to go, too, but if this thread or one like it is still in existence, I'll definitely put it up here. I'm a firm believer in the more the merrier.

Botswana is very stable.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

www.thebrooke.org - The Brooke Hospital for Animals has trips every year - some horseback, climbing to Machu Pichu, Kilimanjaro, Great Wall of China, or dog sledding on the current list, plus more coming in 2014.

We would certaily meet like minded people on one of these.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My dream trip is riding in Iceland. I think I need to go this year, by myself or not.

Scotland is appealing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    This is a great idea!! Anyone want to do New Zealand in late fall? I'm going back again, and though I'm fine alone, it would be fun with company too!
    Let me know when you have some dates set since I can hop over from Oz Never had a chance to travel around NZ so would be a good opportunity.

And not sure if it was this thread or the other one. But there were a couple people who had said Australia was on their list. I offer up my services as tour guide /host to anyone who is coming down this way!

Love this thread. Africa is also on my list to do in the next couple years.

P.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I've wanted to do a driving (horse & cart) trip to Thomas1's place since he first started posting.
    There's a distinct possibility I might be able to do the trip this Fall.
    Any COTHers in his part of Northern England?

Polydor:
    I would LOVE to visit my Sam's birthplace in Queensland - Jaybee Farm.
    But that pricy a trip is a pipedream for now.
    I do have an airline friend who can get me listed for standby...
    Will PM you if it becomes a possibilty.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Scientific American has cruises where they have lecturers on board for all kinds of topics.
    The trips some times are tied in with what is being discussed, you get to see what you are learning about reflected in the real world.
    Sounds very interesting.

Hmmm, should I or should I not go to Everest in Apr? LOL.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Kinsella, are you thinking THIS year for NZ?
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Oh, wish this had begun a couple of years ago. Right after ending a very controlled relationship, I took 3 weeks and toured a bunch of horsey venues - Northern VA, Tryon, Southern Pines, Aiken, Kentucky. Would have loved to have had company from COTH. Had a great time. Maybe again in a few years.

I'll be tied up for the immediate time being with business, but have always wanted to go to Wellington just to watch for a week or so. Maybe next winter?

Am in my late 50's. Ex H/J turning to eventing. Annoyingly smile often. Positive attitude. Can walk everywhere, but also happy to relax. Not a size 10 so don't love to sit around on beaches for long periods of time. When I go places, though, I love to really explore them, get the history of them.

The Cotswolds trip looks lovely but not sure how soon that could happen. Have been to London a few times, but always wanted to explore the British Isles a bit further.

There used to be a great equestrian vacations site that I used to drool over, with B&B trips in Ireland, and horse related riding trips in various parts of the world, but haven't had anything from them in a long time. Think they were based down near NYC. Would consider saving up for something like that as well. Do they still exist?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes