The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog in Heat?

I have never owned an unspayed female animal and the new dog is supposedly spayed but I found her on Craigslist and she has been acting strangely lately and my other dog is a little too interested in the new dog's lady parts. She is going in for a check up with my vet this week.

What does an intact female do when she is in heat? Is it pretty similar to horses? My new dog will start licking herself and then go through a little bout of humping motions while she is sitting down. I haven't noticed any discharge or odor but if this is the start of a heat cycle then I need to keep her confined until it passes and I can get her spayed. We don't want any accidental litters.

Could just be a UTI too-the first thing I notice on a dog going into heat is the vulva and teats will start to swell. They get quite large before there is any discharge or interest from other dogs.

UTI's though will cause all kinds of interesting behavior. Can you see any sign of a scar?

My pound dog was spayed at a ripe old 8 weeks of age in the shelter and she had false heats for years...

If she is coming into a heat she isn't truly fertile until after there has been bloody discharge for a while but of course you do want to be careful with her, even if it's just a UTI or something else going on if she's putting out vibes you don't want strange dogs pestering her.

As the receptionist @ my vet's office says, "If you think she's in heat, she is." Separate them & call the vet. (note - my vet made me wait several weeks before he would spay b/c he wanted everything to return to normal in there - my non-medical interpretation of what he said). I'm sure someone on here can tell you of the fertility period.

Unless, of course, she's spayed and not coming into heat at all...ever again. LOL

I'd treat her as if she weren't spayed until you know but there are other conditions that can cause the behavior the OP described.

I was able to get an appointment for this afternoon so hopefully the vet will be able to see or feel something. I emailed the person I got her from to find out where she was spayed and they just said 'Marysville'. So not a lot of help there.

It looks to me like she has had a litter in the past so her vulva is a little larger than I would expect in a dog her size but there hasn't been any bloody discharge so I am hoping for a uti or maybe she is just weird. We won't let her out of our sight until this is figured out.

Ken, our other dog is a spayed female.