The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

It's a bit long, but when you have time, sit back and watch this.
    You won't want to consume sugar after watching.

1 members found this post helpful.

^YES!
    this is a talk on npr by the same guy, bit shorter

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/11/169144...llacies-of-fat
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

it is an addiction. You have to just stop. If you have "cravings", that's a sure sign it's an addiction. And don't listen to the people who tell you that honey is ok- honey is just unpure sugar. Sweet fruits are laden with sugar.
    It's not just sugar- you have to quit all high-glycemic-index foods. I would suggest not eating fake-sugars either, nor should eat anything with flour in it.
    After you break the addiction, you will find you have no cravings and most sweets are just disgusting.

Sugar is very hard to quit. Watch out for hidden sources too. Lowery spices have high fructose corn syrup in a lot of their spices, and I don't understand why they do. There are lots of products that have all kinds of sugars in them, and many of them don't seem to add anything to the product. I know they're always saying on the commercials that high fructose corn syrup is just like regular sugar, but I personally don't react well to it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I stopped eating sugar about 8 years ago. Just quit. I use splenda in my coffee, tea and if I have to use it for cooking.

It wasn't hard really. I just don't eat candy or desserts. And I've never been a fan of processed foods.

I'll tell you though about 6 months after I quit I was out to dinner with a friend who ordered a chocolate truffle cake for dessert and I had a bite or two. Within a few hours I felt like crap -- tired. That little sugar high eventually made me crash. Having been off sugar for that long a time, I could really feel it.

i think xylitol is the best and least toxic sugar substitute out there.
    i found a bag and when i crave sweet i'll mix a bit with cocoa powder to dip fruit into. it works for me.

and yup, when i had a bit of suagary icing two weeks ago i binged for over a week--i could not break that damn night time need to chew cycle until a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    and yup, when i had a bit of suagary icing two weeks ago i binged for over a week--i could not break that damn night time need to chew cycle until a few days ago.
    this is what kills me -- at 9:30 at night, wanting something.. and none of the choices are all that healthy.

What are the rest of you snacking on (if anything) at night?

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    What are the rest of you snacking on (if anything) at night?
    Sliced bananas in a bowl of milk, with a tablespoon of (grass-fed) heavy cream. It is heavenly, and while better than cookies or cake it still probably has a fair amount of sugar in it . . .

full fat fage yogurt with berries and/or bananas, nuts, seeds.
    salted almonds and frozen raspberries are especially good together. i've heard you can sprinkle cocoa powder in it, but i haven't tried it yet.
    oh and have you ever tried mixing coconut oil with cocoa powder and freezing it in balls? yum!

Its been really hard for me, I am a total sweet tooth. but replacing things with Stevia drops/sugar has helped. I'll make dairy/gluten/sugar free cookies and cakes and save/freeze a couple pieces then give the rest away. that way I can eat one and be satisfied. also one big thing was during my transition I would keep a bag of dark chocolate chips in the freezer and eat two or three when I was hardcore craving chocolate and it was very satisfying.

I am sugar free now and I feel great. (plus the weight I've dropped is encouraging!)

ALSO - for the coffee drinkers out there that want to quit caffeine and/or sugar, I drink something called Criobru - it is amazing. its made out of Cacao and you can brew it in a coffee maker or french press. Its super yummy and has natural energy that I swear works! I sweeten it with a little bit of stevia and its great. if you love dark chocolate you will love this drink.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Sarah Wilson has the best approach to this that I've seen. I'm a big fan of hers:

http://www.iquitsugar.com

When I am good about it, I don't keep chocolate or ice cream in the house as those are my weaknesses. I don't order dessert regularly. And I see coffee with cream as an indulgence because the caffeine makes me bounce of the ways for hours after.

I just try to pick high-quality indulgences. However at the moment I've fallen off the wagon and there is a delicious Dakoba chocolate bar calling my name! Drinking a lot of water and herbal tea helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerbunny View Post
    ^YES!
    this is a talk on npr by the same guy, bit shorter

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/11/169144...llacies-of-fat
    I can't find it at the moment but I also really enjoyed Alec Baldwin's interview with Dr. Lustig last fall. A very casual but informative conversation. He's really a great motivator for me!