The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *Easiest* way to get horse to eat pop rocks

My not at all picky gelding has turned his nose up at pop rocks. They were mixed in his feed with oil and beet pulp, and he still managed to leave them at the bottom of his tub (very talented). I tricked him into eating most of it by crushing up a ton of peppermints, but he wasn't happy about it and this is obviously not a long term solution

I've read all the other threads about this and have some good ideas for things to try. Here's my problem though... I need something that is minimal effort so I don't piss off the barn manager and barn owner. They make feed in the morning and stack the buckets until night, so something sticky like molasses won't work.

Does it matter if I feed BPR at different times of the day? I ride 6 days a week, so I'm up for syringing them down his throat myself, but somedays I'm out first thing in the morning, other days I ride at night. If I do go this method, whats the easiest thing to add to the syringe?

I use the big dosing syringes and use applesauce. I put a spoonful in, then the pop rocks, then another spoonful of applesauce.

As for ease-of-feeding....can you soak the whole meal with some water? That's the "easiest" way I've been able to get any horse who picks them out to eat them.

Does the coating stay in when you soak them?

The coating will not survive prolonged soaking in neutral pH, but a few minutes would almost certainly be OK.

My BO uses the pill form instead of the pop rocks, and remarkably most of the horses just eat them with a handful of grain.

Mine will sift through the pop rocks occasionally and leave a bit at the bottom of the feed tub, but by morning it's all usually licked clean so they must have second thoughts at some point during the night.

I wonder if brown sugar would work? Kind of sticky, and if it fell to the bottom of the feed dish with the pellets they might not want to pass that up.
    Click here before you buy.

I use this:

http://www.sstack.com/Western_Trail-...Mesh-Feed-Bag/

the Dura-Tech-Mesh-Feedbag, when feeding any supplements and have had much better luck getting horses to eat the Omeprazole tablets (bought through Costco) than I have the blue pop rocks. But the coating on the pop rocks is supposed to be superior. I just don't use them anymore and have gradually been won over by the Canadian Omeprazole tubes OR the Costco tablets.

re: the Mesh Feedbag. If the supplement is small granules, then add a bit of oil to the feed so it will stick.

I hate feed or supplement waste so I feed all my guys with mesh feedbags. I've done so for over a decade. And the mesh ones are inexpensive and allow for easy cleanup (just a hose down) and the horses really don't mind them at all.

have had much better luck getting horses to eat the Omeprazole tablets (bought through Costco) than I have the blue pop rocks
    At 700mg/day for even a maintenance dose for a small-average sized horse, that's a LOT of 10- or 20-mg tablets!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    At 700mg/day for even a maintenance dose for a small-average sized horse, that's a LOT of 10- or 20-mg tablets!
    Yep, it is 20-25 two times per day. That's one reason I've opted to order the Canadian Omeprazole tubes more recently. I did use the Kirkland Omeprazole through Costco for a few years, beforing discovering the Canadian stuff.

I hollowed out soft horse cookies and poured one sachet of granules per cookie. My horse is quite sensitive to texture, and he readily ate them- instructions here: http://rockandracehorses.wordpress.c...zole-granules/
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Pop Rocks are available in paste form from the same manufacturer. I had the same issue and went to those instead.

First off, I have never had to deal with blue poprocks, so not sure how much there is that you have too try and get into your horse.

I have found one trick that works great for getting meds and pills into a horse. Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies (the large ones) put meds in the middle and smoosh the pie around it and feed it.

In case they have a different name on the West Coast, this is what they are here on the East coast

http://www.littledebbie.com/products/OatmealPies.asp

A friend of mine told me about this trick when I had to get a ton of pills into my horse twice a day. Worked like a charm!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    First off, I have never had to deal with blue poprocks, so not sure how much there is that you have too try and get into your horse.

I have found one trick that works great for getting meds and pills into a horse. Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies (the large ones) put meds in the middle and smoosh the pie around it and feed it.

In case they have a different name on the West Coast, this is what they are here on the East coast

http://www.littledebbie.com/products/OatmealPies.asp

A friend of mine told me about this trick when I had to get a ton of pills into my horse twice a day. Worked like a charm!!

^ great idea but I would end up eating all the Little Debbies myself!

not sure how much there is that you have too try and get into your horse.
    About a rounded teaspoon-ful.

None of my horses will eat smooshy cookies or things with cream in them. Crunchy granola bars, yes, but not smooshy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I use the big dosing syringes and use applesauce. I put a spoonful in, then the pop rocks, then another spoonful of applesauce.
    This is how I started out as well. Eventually I was able to mix it up with his feed.

I buy the stable pack syringes from Abler. It's only 5 mL for a treatment dose and I believe 2.5 mL for maintenance, so very small amount. My mare actually opens her mouth and takes the syringe like a bit (she must like it) . Since you are there six days a week, you could just do it yourself; or ask the morning feed person to do it before feeding in the AM (it takes two seconds, probably just as quick as ripping open the little packets). FYI time of day doesn't matter, but I believe you are supposed to try and give it before feeding, on as empty a stomach as you can.

I feed mine in the nutrigrain bars that have a fruit jelly like filling. My horse would mostly eat it in her grain but she's a messy, slow eater and I feel like she's getting more of them in a more timely way with the bars, and she loooooves them I might try the little debbie oatmeal cookies as you could probably do all the packets in one cookie and hopefully they'll be a bit cheaper.
    Member of the *OMG I loff my mare!* clique.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Turns out, I didn't need them. After a few days of picking through his food, he gave up and went back to licking his bowl clean. If I ever have to dose him with something else nasty, I'll know what to do

When I first read this title, I was thinking about Pop Rocks the candy! LOL. Kinda a newbie question, but what are Pop Rocks?
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"