The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeling frustrated!

It's been a month since I have ridden any of the horses....holidays, travel, sick with the flu, super cold and snowy, and now the thaw and mud.

I am not usually bothered by some time off, but it's been too long. My good horse has a CRAZY look in his eye, and I cannot even lunge him due to the mud.

What do you all do for sanity when you cannot ride and it's so ugly out.

Just feeling a bit sorry for myself today, and my niners lost, boohoo.

I *choose* not to ride when it's this ugly out. But I have barn chores every day, twice a day, so I'm never deprived of a horse fix.

Groom the living daylights out of his furry self, reorganize your tack locker, clean your tack . . . horse time need not be in the saddle time.

And sorry about your Niners. My Super Bowl defending champion Giants didn't even make the playoffs.
    Click here before you buy.

I am totally with you, galloping gormet. I was hoping to compete in early March but that is becoming less and less likely. We are supposed to have a milder-than-average February here in Virginia but they are calling for more snow tonight.

So I am focusing on other aspects of my life, like getting fit, doing house stuff, organizing, etc. and if I don't run Mick until the end of March, so be it.

I hate these short days and bad footing. If only I could have a covered arena...

Yup! I am feeling the winter blues also!! Have not ridden since the first week of December. Finally going indoors this weekend but it has been a long 2 months!! Now I get to do a lot of walking with my guy to put his base back on and that is not so much fun when it is 20 degrees!! Oh well, lucky to have what I have but I thought you might want to know you are not alone!! This too shall pass

I'm in the same boat. Haven't ridden the Wee Dee Trrr in a month. The
    Fat pony has done some walking... A whole 2 times in 30 days. I do clean stalls 4x/week, which has sustained me thus far... But it's beginning to be not quite enough!
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Thanks, guys. It's good to know you have company! We also have had fog and an inversion, I sooooo want the sun to shine. I could not live in Seattle.

Anyway, I've been starting back on the treadmill - and I bought that Power Wheel some fitness crazy rider recommended in another thread! YIKES.

Maybe I'll organize my office and closet, paint, cook, and pray for spring sunshine!!!

Same here! Winter in MS = torrential downpours, apparently. Our arena has been a lake. Just when I'm about convinced I can see enough ground vs. water in the arena to call it good, another downpour comes along...until last Tuesday the last time I had been able to ride was mid-November.

I was so excited about my temporary move to San Antonio - dry, warm, an indoor - and for one week, it was great! Then, in the space of one hour, Mr. Prissypants decides what his left front leg really needs is a giant gash in it, pulls loose his right front shoe, and mysteriously decides to start favoring his right hind. We're down to one good leg

So I'm right back where I started! And like others, I've been trying to keep from going crazy with exercise and chores. And yet I'm sitting here on the couch eating ice cream...

I rode for the first time on saturday in over a month...it's been really crappy here in the midatlantic. Unless you have an arena with superb drainage or an indoor its basically impossible to ride!

Yeah, my ring thawed for about 2 days and during one of them I had to work late . So if I ride at all it's only walking. And I just got my new jump saddle. Sigh.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

So, I got to the indoor yesterday for a nice ride. I didn't want to take a lesson since it's been over a month. He was AWESOME, had great energy, got some nice trot going.

I just didn't realize how much I missed it until I couldn't ride! Hope you all get to go soon....

Read! If I can't get out to the barn for some reason, I always watch some educational horse videos, a horse movie, or read anything I can about riding/horses. It helps me, so maybe it will help you.

I complained that the indoor was getting boring yesterday so I wound up on the longe line with no stirrups for 30 minutes! Ow.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I watched the entire series of 'the road to maclay' on you tube - it was an Animal Planet series from 2005.....

Good news - the sun came out yesterday and it was high 40's - able to go out and work the babies.....

THANK YOU, THANK YOU everybody! I just came out of hospital (was in for a week with a vicious viral double pneumonia that came out of no where and flattened me out...). Doc's orders no riding for another two weeks or so, and just walk/trot work at that. Before then, my leased potato pasture pony had maybe a handful -no more - of work in December. I was starting to guilt myself out, but the weather in Virginia has been wonky - either too warm for my non-clipped leased beast, or too cold and footing is shot. Spending this recuperation/down time walking on the treadmill, starting yoga to stretch, reading any horse book I own, and clearing out through huge piles of COTH, PH, Equus and other horse magazines. I use to love winter, but I'm afraid I've turned old, I'm ready for warmer temps!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC