The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Latta Plantation Equestrian Center??

Looking ahead at the shows I might venture to this year and am interested in going to some different venues than I normally go to. One show I am interested in is hosted at Latta Plantation. However when I google the place it doesnt show any pictures of the show facility/stalls/warm up rings, etc. Quite frankly the place doesn'y appear to be all that amazing and more of a place I would run from based on the pictures they DO have! I don't want to write this place off just because I can't dig up details. Does anyone have any experience showing there? Is it rocky like Tryon? I would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks!
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

It's actually not a bad place - the rings are nice, although the footing in one warmup ring was a little deep last time I was there, but I think they fixed it. I know online you get the impression that it's a trail/hack barn, and they do do some of that stuff, but the shows I've been to there have been great - organized, well run. I like it there.

Are the stalls decent? Have mats? Small, large?
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

The rings are pretty decent there. Stalls are larger for show stalls AFAIR... I don't recall them having mats but it's been a while since I've been there.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Latta is actually a decent facility and the stalls are decent also. Not matted or at least not the last time I was there. I believe they are dirt floors. I wouldn't pass on showing there.

I'm going to have a dissenting opinion here. I was there about a year ago (have not been back) and the footing was horrible. On day one of the show it was ok bc not all rings were being used but when all three rings have classes there was just one small warm up, with extremely uneven footing (crazy deep on one side and slick and hard on the other side). The two jump rings were deep and the ring they put the cross rail kids in was hard as a rock and had huge holes in the middle that the kids had to steer around. It rained and some of the stalls flooded. The area between rings is small and crowded and it can be dangerous if a horse gets nervous with tons of kids packed in to a small space. The show management was nice and it is a convenient location but unfortunately I don't think the city can maintain it like it needs to be for a show venue. As mentioned, this was a year ago so maybe they have improved things.

ETA: the stalls are a good size and there is a TON of parking.
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

I grew up showing at Latta. Definitely a good schooling show type environment and it spruces up nicely for larger events. I agree that the schooling rings are a bit funky footing wise, in particular the one in the back, through the trees. Stalls are great, nice and big though still not matted to my knowledge. The only thing that ever turned me off was the trail horses looking a bit miserable on the dirt lot. I always wanted Latta to be my first show outing now that I'm back to riding after so many years. Alas, I moved to the other side of the country.

Word to the wise- whatever you do, don't get there before the gates open. We did that once, accidentally, and there is nowhere to turn around.

I've shown there (dressage) and found it fine. Main ring is very nice (didn't show in the small ring). Warmup needed dragging but wasn't bad. Maybe a little deep, but WAY better than some places I've shown. I don't usually stall (show out of trailer) but the one time I did, stalls were nice enough. Well ventilated, which to me is way more important than mats. I also like that there are trails to hack on between classes to keep loose.