The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My experience with reiki in my Cushings pony

I know a lot of people on here find reiki "hokey" and I agree I had my skepticism, too. At the same time, when you think about energy and energy flow it does make sense. The person that does reiki for me is a client of my trainer and I knew her, so I wasn't using a complete stranger. She was very upfront that it works for some and not for all. I wanted to share my experience with reiki and how it has helped my mare with chronic pain. Here is the article that was written- http://www.animalreikisource.com/res...rgundy-rosette

I've also talked with a friend of mine in nursing school and a nurse friend and they have mentioned that reiki is used for pain management. When I mentioned it to two vets at my practice one said that they are for whatever works and that we don't have good treatment for laminitis/cushings especially when they don't respond well to the medication. The other vet mentioned that he'd toured TB farms in KY and they use it when they have a horse that wasn't quite right but medical treatments weren't helping. He also agreed with the premise... do what works.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I have been wondering about this... My BO's neighbor is a certified reiki master. She got certified when her Friesian stallion was sick and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He is no longer neurlogic, is putting his weight back on and doing well.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I'm one for trying everything, especially for the chronic laminitis in metabolic ponies. It really messes with EVERYTHING, and any little thing to help break the pain cycle is good. Reiki does work, and I bet the ponies thank you for trying it!

I am practicing doing some massage/energy work, and hope to get pretty good at it to help more ponies like mine. (Chronic laminitis and founder from a lifetime of neglect.)

My observations with the chronic pain issue is that it blocks up energy going everywhere, so the horse will end up having issues that are subtle and frustrating to treat. Getting that energy flowing, and loosening everything up will help with blood flow, and therefore healing.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

My mother is a certified reiki master, and it helps a lot of NQR stuff, but not everything.
    The easiest way to describe reiki in action is to think of the last time you stubbed your toe really good or banged your knee. What did you do? Well, you probably said a few choice words, but you probably put your hand on it to make it feel better. Ever wondered why putting your hand on the injury alleviate pain? Welcome to reiki class 101 ;-)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Ever wondered why putting your hand on the injury alleviate pain? Welcome to reiki class 101 ;-)
    We Spock types call that the "gate theory".

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lif...rain/pain4.htm
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    My mother is a certified reiki master, and it helps a lot of NQR stuff, but not everything.
    The easiest way to describe reiki in action is to think of the last time you stubbed your toe really good or banged your knee. What did you do? Well, you probably said a few choice words, but you probably put your hand on it to make it feel better. Ever wondered why putting your hand on the injury alleviate pain? Welcome to reiki class 101 ;-)
    Pressure on the proprioceptive nerves induce inhibitory responses to the original pain, and disrupting the reflex arc. At least the is part what I learned in Neurophysiology class.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nerd. That IS the gate theory!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not necessarily a skeptic of energy medicine practices; and I wholeheartedly support alternative practices like accupuncture, massage, etc.

I just wonder about the timing for a Cushings case; starting just before the shortest day of the year and then continuing on through the lengthening of the days. Isn't that the reason that ACTH rises in the fall (shorter days?) and therefore one of the reasons Cushings horses are more symptomatic and baseline ACTH tests should not conducted in the fall?

My Cushings pony seemed to be improving but had a "flare" of symptoms from just around Christmas to last week or so - sore feet, flaring hooves, bruising/laminitis, etc. I had his ACTH tested again last week to check on it (still waiting on results) but one thought I had was that he was having a normal ACTH rise on top of his Cushings issues and it started to cause a recurrence of symptoms. Farrier just left this a.m. and his feet are immensely better with no change whatsoever in medication dosage or other treatment, so we are more convinced the time of year was a factor.

But, about your Cushings pony - are you saying that Pergolide doesn't control her symptoms - is her ACTH in the normal range while taking it? Maybe she needs a higher dosage?

That said, I believe that animals are the best for testing alternative treatments; they don't suffer from placebo effects like we do. If Reiki helps, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    We Spock types call that the "gate theory".

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lif...rain/pain4.htm
    here's a giggle for ya. I am not familiar with this 'gate theory' term, so I assumed it was about this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_drug_theory

It would go like this: once you start to believe in reiki, this can open a floodgate of believing all kinds of weird stuff, like minerals that can plug the holes in your ethereal body to prevent energy drainage. Like marijuana leading to heroin.

bored in the Huston airport.

PS Massage or ANY kind of bodywork is a wonderful thing for any horse that has been standing in an abnormal way for a long time. I know of a horse cured of chronic laminitis of several years duration that was put down for devastating muscle spasms trying to move AFTER the laminitis was finally resolved.
    Katy

It would go like this: once you start to believe in reiki, this can open a floodgate of believing all kinds of weird stuff, like minerals that can plug the holes in your ethereal body to prevent energy drainage. Like marijuana leading to heroin.

I had a horse that got sore feet around Christmas and had miraculous recoveries around Easter for year after year. Being that she was not a religious horse, I continued to collect data around the times her condition changed. Turned out she got sore feet after the night time temps were below 20F, and got better when the nightime temps were above freezing with day temps nearing 50F.

Now researchers are actually researching the effect of temperature on equine digital vasculature in conjunction with EMS.

So stuff may be going on that correlates to a medical condition that you don't notice unless you are very mindful.

Being that she was not a religious horse
    How did you confirm this?

The marvelous workings of the (healthy) blood-shunting system in the equine foot, including its response to temperature, is amazing (and I don't even claim to understand a fraction of it) so it wouldn't surprise me that seasonal variations, etc. are part of the "mix".

I've been doing Reiki for many years, on both my human massage clients and my own horse and other animals. It's very subtle but quite powerful in a gentle way.

My horse noticeably relaxes (licks/chews, sighs, farts, you name it) and it's fun watching him try to keep his eyes open and his head up. People have told me of their experiences during a treatment and it's different for each person.

It can be done just by holding the hands above the horse; I actually prefer it that way, as I can feel the energy (feels like a slight tingle) moving. It subsides when it's time to move to another area. However, most times it's just more comfortable for me to rest my hands directly on him.

Several years ago there was a mare where I boarded hooked up to an IV--she hadn't passed any manure for some time and they were quite worried. I thought, what the heck, let me stand outside her stall, aim the palms of my hands in her direction, and give it a shot. After about 5 minutes I stopped to talk to the guy looking after her. We heard this loud rumbling and then a sort of explosion of watery stool shot out of her. He was shocked and I was surprised. It may have happened without the Reiki, but I think it helped.

When working on an animal that hasn't had it before, sometimes they'll move around quite a bit, not sure of what they're feeling. Then it's usually one big sigh and they stop, get that faraway look in their eyes, take slow deep breaths and enjoy it. It's my favorite treatment to do on anything (once tried it on a box turtle I found during a walk---he relaxed too!), it's easy and not harmful (or woo-woo or religious). And anyone can do it.

To the OP: Pergolide is NOT medicine for foot pain due to founder. You need to have her ACTH tested so her dose can be adjusted (assuming that "bloodwork wasn't improving" meant the ACTH was still high). There are many things related to diet, especially soaking hay, that will help your horse. I'm glad Reiki is helping, but there are still many other things you can do to manage her disease. Frequent and correct trimmings are very important, sometimes as often as every two weeks. Diet, trim and exercise always helps.

To clarify on the Pergolide... the vet wants her increased to two pills a day, but I CAN NOT get the mare to eat if she has any more than ONE pill a day. I know the pergolide is not a pain medication. She flat out REFUSES to eat. The labeling shows lack of appetite as a possible side effect. Since she is underweight I have to make the compromise of keeping her on one pill a day. I've tried the theory of she'll eat when she's hungry, but it doesn't work with her and I'd like to keep her with the living!

She also REFUSES to eat anything wet... so beet pulp, soaked hay, and soaked hay cubes are out. For a period of time I had her on rice bran oil, but now she won't go for it. In addition the pony will eat one type of low carb feed for a while and then turns her nose up at it. We've been through Purina's Welsolve (sp), McCaulley's Alam both the regular size and the bigger size pellets, and The Mill's Carb Smart-- had a good run at that and then she refused to eat it anymore after attempting to increase her pergolide. She's now on Triple Crown Senior and I've been attempting to feed her Triple Crown's low carb chopped hay product (I can't think of the name right now) and she doesn't want it :-( I've tried HEIRO and Remission. She was on bute and a safe dose didn't do much for her pain. The soft ride boots helped a little bit, but she still shifted in them. She has her feet trimmed every four to five weeks with a competent farrier.

Throughout her lameness the mare never gave me any indication that she was tired and ready to go. She just rested more, took it easy, and went through her pain with a bright eye and a nicker for her meals.

So, in short I have tried a lot of things with this mare. I know the yahoo group is a good place to go, but the format makes my head spin and now I'm stuck in the endless loop of... don't remember your password... we'll send it to you... and no email every arrives... The mare has been a lifelong broodmare and has produced many fantastic ponies and several are standing at stud. She has never been a riding pony... would allow kids to sit on her for "pony rides" but not broke. My goal for her is to give her to have a comfortable retirement.

After her reiki treatments she is off of the bute and once the weather breaks I'm going to try to wean her off of the boots.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

My Cushings pony sounds similar - he loves the TC Senior but any addition of anything else (sunflower seeds, supplements, even a 1/4 Previcox) and he will assume all the feed is tainted and leave it behind.

How did you transition to 2 pills/day and how long did you give her to see if her appetite would come back? I know some people have a temporary appetite loss but then it does come back....

One last option would be to start with increasing by 1/8 tablet over a period of a month or two. If you can afford the meds, I'd at least try getting her up to 1 1/4 per day, or even 1 1/2....

That said, at her age....not sure I would do too much else other than keep her as comfortable as possible.

PS I agree with you about the Yahoo group...I had to unsubscribe...

My horse lovesss his reiki sessions! I first started them when I got him, he has lost his best friend and all of a sudden moved off the property he'd been on for years, to my barn. He had a pretty big freak out for a year. I didn't know what else to do to ease his pain, so I called a reiki lady and she would come and work on him. I switched to my husbands friend, and he (my horse) loves her and just melts into her hands. It's lovely to watch, he falls asleep and they seriously become one, one energy working together, talking privately. She also does flower essences, can't hurt him, so she custom makes them for him

Btw, out of curiosity, what's the average you pay? I pay $30 for a session + custom flower essence.

Pergolide is usually increased .25mg every 3 or 4 days. I'm guessing you have 1mg pills and are aiming for giving two of those a day? You can open a capsule, divide it up (cut it like cocaine--I'm sure you've seen it done on tv) and sprinkle it onto something. You can hollow out a carrot and hide the pills in there. Try not to touch the drug with your hands. I increased my horse's dose this way when I started Pergolide. Now I just order 30 of the .25mg capsules.

Looks like she has the Pergolide veil. Will she graze and eat hay but not her feed? That's what most horses will do. A product called APF is helpful; it's an adaptogen.

Ukele (sp?) makes flavorings for horses, but I think they are in a liquid. Too bad she won't eat TC Sr. Will she eat dry hay cubes? Most people soak them to prevent choking but many horses do fine.

The Yahoo Cushings/IR group is overwhelming but there is so much information there. It's frustrating when you're doing what you're supposed to do and they don't cooperate.