The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My horse wears bell boots 24/7, and front boots every ride. He's quite good at hitting himself and there are marks on the boots to prove it! I use either my cheapy Woofs or my Horze open fronts. On trails he gets my old Roma open fronts and fetlock boots behind. The only time I use polos is if it's been a while since I wrapped a leg and I want to practice. I don't really see how they offer much support, but I figure every ding on the boots is a ding that's not on my horse's leg.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Talking

My TB wears bell boots 24/7 because he can be silly and has egg bar shoes I would prefer stayed on lol. If I am jumping they come off, and he wears open fronts on both sets of legs. Hacking he wears his bell boots as well as the open fronts, just regular flatting he goes nekked.
    Hunting my Spotty Horse he wears all bell boots and open fronts on both ends and has only lost boots very occasionally. Hacking he goes nekked, as he is very steady and sure footed.
    As for SMB type boots, my vet HATES them. They are too difficult in his opinion to get tension even on, and as a previous poster mentioned, feels too much heat is generated in them. I personally hate polos and own a couple of very low mileage sets because I suck at wrapping, and they never seem to stay put enough, as well as needing to be rolled back up!
    Last edited by littlecreek; Feb. 11, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

My girl goes neeked...no accidents no injuries.

I use the stretchy polos (I use the Horze knockoffs, but Eskadron made them first) and I guess I'm old school in that I don't mind wrapping at all. I always did when I was a kid riding and it's just habit now.

The other boots I like are the valena woolbacks. The wool breathes nicely and they're squishy enough to absorb a bang or two.

I like boots for jumping big (big for the horse) or greenies who haven't learned where to put their feet yet. I like polos except for trail riding, or wet conditions. Also, the majority of folks just don't wrap them properly, in which case naked is much better.

The thing that makes me scratch my head though, are the folks who put boots on a horse, instead of talking to their farrier, for an interference issue.

My guy needs his back boots as he does interfere. Since I have to put those on, I put fronts on too. Better safe than sorry, I guess.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

My guy gets turned out in bell boots only, because he will pull shoes. For flat work and light jumping he generally goes naked. For more intense jumping sessions he wears open fronts and he does need them as they are quite scuffed up. He always shows in open fronts (he does jumpers and eq). In the winter he will often wear hind polos as well to protect against cuts from his borium-tipped shoes. For trail riding/hacking outside, he wears galloping boots as insurance against silliness and imperfect footing.

Like everything else, it depends on the horse and the situation. But I use boots and wraps for protection only, I don't believe that they provide much for support or injury prevention, and I don't use them unless necessary due to concerns about heating up the legs.
    friend of bar.ka

I also use boots and polos as "insurance", JUST IN CASE my little dude were to whack himself, I'd much rather he'd have boots or polos on to absorb some of the impact. He doesn't have any interference issues, but you never know what they'll do to themselves. I use polos for daily flatwork (I am an excellent wrapper, if I do say so myself) and open fronts & ankle boots for jumping and shows. Better safe than sorry!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    The thing that makes me scratch my head though, are the folks who put boots on a horse, instead of talking to their farrier, for an interference issue.
    Um, there are many reasons horses interfere, and not all can be addressed through shoeing. My previous horse interfered when he wasn't in shape, which can be quite common, I think. He had fine feet and a great farrier, and when he was fit he interfered only minimally. It really was the way he was built. Even when fit he did manage to bang himself randomly, so boots it was.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyThe Ride View Post
    Polo wraps can come undone, in the same way that boots can come undone. Either is typically a result of too much crud in the velcro, thus reducing the holding ability of the velcro. As long as the velcro isn't crammed full of lint or sheepskin particals from repeated washing, you shouldn't have this problem.
    You can also tape them to ensure they stay done up. I use masking tape but I don't put the tape all the way around so that it attaches back onto itself, as this doesn't allow it to expand with the leg. I wrap it about 3/4 of the way around. I don't always do this on polos. I do tend to do it on my twraps cause there isn't much 'grip' for the velcro and one time they did start coming undone. My new polos I just got have really good velcro so most likely don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by foursocks View Post
    Um, there are many reasons horses interfere, and not all can be addressed through shoeing. My previous horse interfered when he wasn't in shape, which can be quite common, I think. He had fine feet and a great farrier, and when he was fit he interfered only minimally. It really was the way he was built. Even when fit he did manage to bang himself randomly, so boots it was.
    I wasn't referring to you specifically, but you are right - I should've worded that better! Yes,horses interfere for other reasons, like conformation. But, I do still see folks put boots on a horse instead of addressing the real issue, when it is not just conformation.

My soundness-challenged Perch-X always wears boots as per the vet since he's crooked in front and likes to whack his legs with his size 4 clown feet. And he wears bar shoes on all 4 feet so he lives in bell boots. I think boots or wrapping are fine, but you really need to know how to wrap or you can cause problems. Or go naked if that suits your horse. It reply depends on what the horse needs

My vet told me Sport med type boots only. No Polo's cause they just don't protect like the boots do.