The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Face it, the sole motivation for HSUS is to make money.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    HSUS is hardly a part of the equine community.
    I agree Laurie but they are using mass media to type cast who and what breeders are. Just like when they started out after puppy mills and now half the nation thinks all dog breeders are terrible gelatinous creatures who only have dogs to make a living off them. I see more advertisement on a regular basis for "Adopt don't shop" then "spay and neuter" Which if you were REALLY vested in controlling dog and cat populations wouldn't it be the later and then the first.

The problem is that dog and cat "rescue" has become big business. Now we find HSUS on the door step of equine rescue. Apparently it is just that easy ..suggesting that those in the trenches go ask the likes of Ralph Lauren , Polo, Coach, Wells Fargo etc to cut them a check ..because you know brothers in horses right ??

Furthermore if you rifle through that article is couples totally no-related issues and associates them with horse slaughter. Breeders, Carriage horses, TWH'er, etc.

The article isn't meant for the "equine" industry its meant to emotionally manipulate the public's view of the equestrian community.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Boyd Martin nailed it. Take a look at posts on COTH. How many newbies who don't have a clue what they're doing want to breed their own foal. And many fellow posters encourage them. I just don't get it.

You haven't been to the Sport horse breeding side have you?? That gets down right ugly if you don't have a quality mare in everyones' eyes.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I run a rescue and I'm not offended. I don't think that we're in the 'horses they can currently barely care for', but that's because we say no to incoming horses every week, possibly every day. The numbers in the organization are normally a bit stretched, but we try hard to keep them manageable. But saying no so often is hard!

However, having someone who apparently has little knowledge of most rescues say that we should all just take in and then rehome all the unwanted horses is insane. She had better start writing some big checks to the rescues so that we can all afford to help more horses.

I LOVE being told that those of us who run rescues should be responsible for taking in all the unwanted or slaughter bound horses. Of course, we should do it without help from those telling us to do it...[/COLOR]
    More so without the help of those who skim the donor pool....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

HSUS has a wonderfully successful racket going. They shrill the buzz words, cloud the actual reality of where and how donations are spent and laugh all the way to the bank.

Someone else said this up thread: their articles are almost always geared towards an audience that doesn't know enough about the topic to know HSUS is blowing smoke up their backsides. That isn't by accident.They require their audience to be uneducated on the topic.
    Sheilah

4 members found this post helpful.

Aren't HSUS and all those other "horse lovers" responsible for horses being transported out of the US for slaughter, instead of being humanely disposed of within our borders.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

6 members found this post helpful.

PETA, HSUS, NRA, they're all the same. I'm sure there are others out there, but they are the ones who first come to mind.

2 members found this post helpful.

PETA, HSUS, NRA, they're all the same. I'm sure there are others out there, but they are the ones who first come to mind.

Except, the answer to all questions to the first two is 'less animals', the third party needs more guns...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Except, the answer to all questions to the first two is 'less animals', the third party needs more guns...
    They're really in it for the money, and they pander to their audience with lies and exaggerations.

1 members found this post helpful.

They're really in it for the money, and they pander to their audience with lies and exaggerations.
    Have not seen a picture of the AR shills... but the NRA guy looks like a dweeb who got too many yellow swirlies in school, now by G-d, he has the NRA behind him...

alas, it derails the topic.

Rainbow pooping unicorns...in the land of golden butterfly where no horse ever goes to a bad place...

Wait,

"Breeders will sign a pledge stating that they will take back any horse they have bred that becomes homeless whether that's because it has outlived its usefulness on the racetrack, in the show ring, or as a working horse."

Oh really? So no one else along the way will ever have ANY responsibility EVER, Only the breeder? And who IS the breeder, anyway? The stallion owner, or the mare owner? Because that would make a difference now... if we're going to bring back all the homeless, lame, sick horses to their breeders.

They presume everyone knows where their horses came from. We have three... one came through New Holland, one off Craigslist, and the third could be potentially traced but isn't registered and I could never "prove" who the breeder was to force them to take him back even if I wanted to...which I can't imagine I ever would but that's a different point anyway.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    Wait,

"Breeders will sign a pledge stating that they will take back any horse they have bred that becomes homeless whether that's because it has outlived its usefulness on the racetrack, in the show ring, or as a working horse."

Oh really? So no one else along the way will ever have ANY responsibility EVER, Only the breeder? And who IS the breeder, anyway? The stallion owner, or the mare owner? Because that would make a difference now... if we're going to bring back all the homeless, lame, sick horses to their breeders.

They presume everyone knows where their horses came from. We have three... one came through New Holland, one off Craigslist, and the third could be potentially traced but isn't registered and I could never "prove" who the breeder was to force them to take him back even if I wanted to...which I can't imagine I ever would but that's a different point anyway.

yes.
    give the lady a cookie

of course, things never change because evil is timeless like the devil, right! I can like totally guarantee I take that horsie back I bred five years ago, when I am sitting in the nursing home 20 years from now....it ain't no dog....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The AQHA has had a 50% drop in registration over the past 5 years.
    I think that many/most breeders are responding to the market conditions.

We had been breeding here since 1910We quit breeding in 1984.
    We could then already see that kind of horse oversupply is not what we wanted to contribute to.
    Nothing since changed our minds.
    We are still in that kind of world and many others have been feeling the same way.e".
    Geez, How OLD are you anyway??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    Geez, How OLD are you anyway??!!
    the ranch....

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    the ranch....
    A family ranch I presume? I got confused because Bluey has said she grew up in Europe & English is not her native language, so the 1910 thing threw me off.

A family ranch I presume? I got confused because Bluey has said she grew up in Europe & English is not her native language, so the 1910 thing threw me off.
    Perhaps the "ranch" isn't in the good ole USA ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

thou shalt not presume.
    When my aunt tells you 'we' are on the farm since 1876 (or so) does not mean her side of the family tree....

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Perhaps the "ranch" isn't in the good ole USA ?
    nah, somewhere in the armpit of Texas, I mean pan handle...

I am sure she will tell you...after being stalked she does not give out much information anymore.