The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I crazy to think of doing this?

Currently I am riding in an Albion SLK that I really like. I've had it for under a year, but one of the other riders at my barn has asked to buy it from me for the price I paid (as they are having a real hard time with saddle fit and my Albion seems to work great).

Recently I've really been drooling over the Cardanel Olympian MKII - selling my Albion would allow me to buy a new Cardanel. The issue is that there are no dealers from what I can find in Canada so I would have to order sight-unseen (or at least un-sat in!). There's a Trilogy Verago Elite on consignment in a tack store near me - would that be close in feel to the Olympian MKII?

I currently don't own a horse, but the Albion has been a pretty good fit on most of the horses I ride. Would the Cardanel be similar?

Is this an insane idea? The Cardanel saddles seem to be well loved from what I have searched on here.

Someone help!

I vote "insane".

I would not buy a brand-new saddle that I'd never even sat in (that I couldn't return.) Selling the Albion for what you paid doesn't seem like a bad idea, though - as long as you have other satisfactory saddles to ride in. Are you going to continue to ride several different horses, or do you plan on buying another one soon? If the Albion fits the horses you currently ride AND is significantly better than other saddles you have available to ride in, selling might be a bad idea. But, if you're getting a new horse soon, you'll probably need to do some saddle adjustments anyway. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Piaffe11 View Post
    Currently I am riding in an Albion SLK that I really like. I've had it for under a year, but one of the other riders at my barn has asked to buy it from me for the price I paid (as they are having a real hard time with saddle fit and my Albion seems to work great).

Recently I've really been drooling over the Cardanel Olympian MKII - selling my Albion would allow me to buy a new Cardanel. The issue is that there are no dealers from what I can find in Canada so I would have to order sight-unseen (or at least un-sat in!). There's a Trilogy Verago Elite on consignment in a tack store near me - would that be close in feel to the Olympian MKII?

I currently don't own a horse, but the Albion has been a pretty good fit on most of the horses I ride. Would the Cardanel be similar?
    A previous rave for Cardanel - if you don't get many replies here, you might try contacting some of the folk from that earlier thread

I'd vote for sell the Albion, it's a great price offer on a used saddle (except check on the current prices, I know that County has been warning of a price increase) - you like it BUT you're looking for something else

From their website
    Cardanel Saddles Ltd exclusively manufactures two saddles for the Trilogy Dressage Range: The Debbie McDonald and the Verago.
    Why not call & talk saddles with one of their reps

Insane
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

1 members found this post helpful.

If not insane, certainly not wise. A saddle can look great, and even be great, but just not quite fit your angles and curves, even aside from whether it's tree and stuffing work for your herd.

If getting new saddles were as easy as seeing and affording, there would be a lot fewer threads on this board!! Sit before you commit!

I have one of the Cardanel dressage models though not the specific one you are interested in. Still they are very similar. I also had for a few years a SLK. Both saddles are well made and of similar quality. They ride imo very differently. I am a fan of both; but, that is mostly because until I got the Cardanel I had a horse that nothing I tried had fit (and I tried a lot of saddles). I'm not as enamored with it when I have tried it on my other horses which it did not fit so well on.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Two counts of insanity here.
    - never buy a dressage saddle you haven't tried, and tried for a good long time too. You just can't tell in one ride if the horse is really going to work well in it. Cardanel are great to work with, I fit and sell bunches of them. They build my own brand saddle to my specs, the trees are very adaptable - I change change the tree size to fit each horse. I still wouldn't buy one without trying it !

- NEVER buy a dressage saddle that isn't perfectly fitted to the horse. That's the true insanity there. I just can't picture it. So you're riding other people's horses, and for some reason, these owners just don't care whether you're using a M, MN, W, XW saddle on their horse ??? That's 100% bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    ... So you're riding other people's horses, and for some reason, these owners just don't care whether you're using a M, MN, W, XW saddle on their horse ??? That's 100% bizarre.
    KateWooten - I ride in a riding school so I do ride many different horses. They are all owned by the same person and they are aware that I use my own saddle. I make sure the saddle fits well or I don't use it - my Albion is a medium width and fits 90%+ horses that I ride.

Oh the wonders of a reality check lol From everyones replies (thank you BTW) I do have to face the facts that it wouldn't be a very good move. Now I'm wondering more if I should upgrade within the SLK family (i.e. the Platinum SLK that would offer adjustability later on down the road). More to think about at least. I may go and sit in the Trilogy at the tackshop down the road just to get it out of my head so I am not constantly wondering about what it would be like.

Thanks again for keeping me level headed

The issue is that there are no dealers from what I can find in Canada so I would have to order sight-unseen (or at least un-sat in!).
    my Albion is a medium width and fits 90%+ horses that I ride.
    Can't imagine why you would even think of selling it to buy a saddle that may not fit you or the horses, especially since it is for several horses so can't be custom fit.

Never buy a saddle without trying it first. Been there...as the saying goes..but never again.

Just a note, the SLK and Platinum SLK fit differently for both horse & rider.

Keep the saddle you like. Let her borrow (if you really want to be nice) while she buys her own. There are so many SLKs out there used, I'm sure she can find another like yours unless it was heavily customized.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Keep the saddle. It makes no sense to buy a new one that you have not ridden in and no sense to buy another one if you don't have your own horse. Give the serial number of your saddle to the person who wants to buy it. She can contact Albion and they can make another saddle for her to the exact specifications. I'm working with Albion at the moment to get a new saddle for my hard to fit rider/horse combo. If there is something your friend wanted to change Albion can do that too. Now that makes sense.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Keep the saddle until you at least have your own horse. The horse you buy may not fit your Albion...at all. Been there. My current mare is a very wide AQHA appendix mare that my beloved County Competitor did not fit...at all. She was wider than my fjordieX that I had for many years and had sold.

Long story short, all new saddles for my new horse. Harder to fit western than english. At least I had a great saddle fitter to work with english, and had to do the same thing western with a custom saddle. Adore the horse, love the saddles.

So neither saddle may fit the horse you end up with. Wait.
    Last edited by craz4crtrs; Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling