The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Hey Purple,

I dont think you are too bitchy, I actually laughed out loud at one point. I would edit it down a bit. Delete that you read Twilight and the Hunger Games. Delete "I will never do something "just because" and I am allergic to nonsense." makes you sound like you are not spontaneous, but men like to think that they are. I don't understand the JB reference, but that does not matter and the Avatar part just made me laugh.

I am surprise that your "I am bendy" comment does not do it for you! Men's minds are always in the gutter.

swap out some of the pictures. Make the one with the cowboy hat your profile and delete the one with the foal.

I would also broaden your "what are you looking for" I know you stated long term, but try opening it to short term as well.

Whatcha think of mine? I am onawho!
    Oh thanks!!

For Reals! That's why I put the "I am bendy" comment. I used to have a photo of myself smooshed into a pile of small innertubes. And I love Friends. Phoebe said that in an episode.

I deleted that one part but honestly. I think spontaneity is over rated. It gives me anxiety.
    Sorry boys.... : D

JB = Jimmy Buffet. Those were lyrics from Cheeseburger in Paradise.

I put some little tricks in the profile. When people get them they usually comment--it helps me weed out the non profile readers.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I got so grumpy about the messaging and not receiving replies (really, WAS I aiming too high?) and the messages that I WAS receiving (seriously, is THIS the kind of guy I'm supposed to be dating) that I made my DAUGHTER look at the profiles. Her response - OH GOD NO. You are sending out messages to the right kind of guys, but I think THEY are trying to date "too far up." So apparently my "picker" is relatively well-calibrated, at least. I'm going mostly on interests first, level of response to their writing and profile, and THEN pictures, but still...

And I am getting a few more responses after that honest appraisal from her, and the help from you all. Mostly, I'm understanding that something like meetup, where the emphasis is on group activities, may be better suited to my personality, or some combination thereof. I'm just kind of having fun with it all anyway, which is the best part. If I make some new friends, excellent.

Well, since last OT I did meet one person for drinks but in person I just didn't find him attractive. Something just turned me off. I don't know if he was just nervous but he kept mopping his forehead with cocktail napkins. It was not hot out. It was awkward.

Everyone else just seems dull except for one guy that I actually sent a message to, but he's not really responsive.

I have gotten propositions from two poly-amorous fellows which is new for me. It isn't my thing but at least they were very forthright about it.

So by the end of last OT, I had 2 guys messaging me back and forth.

1st one asks for my phone number so we can text--give him my google number. Never hear from him again.

2nd one and I seem to really click via message--then poof, no more messages.

Tons of one liners and "fishing" messages.

Two on the hook now. One very local to me and similar interests, we've messaged back and forth only once. The other lives across state, but is an equestrian! Not sure I'm interested in that one, though.

I've sent one message--no reply. Of course most of the ones I get I do not reply to, so I see that as fair.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by KTRider View Post

I have gotten propositions from two poly-amorous fellows which is new for me. It isn't my thing but at least they were very forthright about it.
    I wonder if one of them is the same guy that contacted me. I have two polys so far, one became a friend (he lives across the state so its easy to say no) the other is 20 mins north of me and I am not into sharing.

eponacowgirl is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Usually when I rearrange my profile I get some new bites, but nothing yet.

What does a "first message" that you send to someone usually look like?

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I wonder if one of them is the same guy that contacted me. I have two polys so far, one became a friend (he lives across the state so its easy to say no) the other is 20 mins north of me and I am not into sharing.
    Can we share their screen names? The one who contacted me started with justm
    Last edited by SerenaGinger; Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

OK, I'm bringing this topic back, because frankly, WTF? I'm stumped.

Last OT day I dust off the old profile and decide to jump back in a while. I have had interactions with 3 guys, all very different, all reasonable possibilities and certainly worth giving it a whirl.

First guy--after several messages, asks for phone number to text. I give him my number.

crickets (over a week)

Second guy--really witty and interesting banter for 4 days in a row. Multiple messages from both of us per day. It's really fun and he seems cool and to have much in common with me. I send him some answer to some random question.

crickets (6 days now)

Third guy--lives right in my little town outside Raleigh, discuss a few similar interests, again seem to have some compatibility. He asks if I'd like to get a drink sometime. I reply with yes, and a few possible dates.

crickets (3 days now)

So are these guys PUAs who just want the challenge of getting a woman on the hook, but no interest in actually following through? I must say it's been really frustrating. I'm thisclose to deactivating again.

sigh

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Usually when I rearrange my profile I get some new bites, but nothing yet.

What does a "first message" that you send to someone usually look like?
    the "flirt" I sent my DH on farmersonly.com when I saw his profile said "Wow, a dairy farmer, you must be good with your hands" I figured it would be best if he knew what I was like from the get go. He replied back "Wow, a rider, you must be good at riding." We are coming up on 6years since I first flirted with him
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That's just online dating in general. I've always had the same problems. People just do what they want to do and they either follow up and follow through or go somewhere else. There's no way around it I'm afraid but you can try to be a bit more pro-active and be more "Yes, let's do this..." instead of "Maybe we could on such and such day...". One thing I've noticed is that it pays to be bold and firm in online dating as many people are wishy-washy and want or need you to take the initiative to get things moving. It is what it is.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

I get that. For 2/3 of those I did just that. Phone number? HERE. Wanna get a drink? YES, HOW'S THIS FRIDAY OR NEXT WEEK?

But I suppose they all have multiple irons in the fire at any given time, so it's whoever strikes first.

Whatevs. I'm happy alone. Too happy, and I think that's the problem

PF: It might be a lot of reasons. I had a couple of guys want to meet and then I just plain chickened out.

Then I had another fellow want to meet, I said great and never heard from him. Then a week later, get an e-mail apologizing that he had chickened out because he wasn't sure he wanted to get involved with someone with horses! Lol.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Enjoy chatting with people and if it winds up you meet, great, and if not, onto the next!

Good luck!

I started reading this thread because I was bored tonight, but you guys have got me scratching my head saying "huh"?

Where are all your profiles? What are PUA's? What are polys? Dang I feel like I just walked out of the ice age!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Any recs for dating site with least crap-tastic people? I've signed up for a few, but have been almost unimpressed by the people I'm matched with. I'm a very independent mid-20s woman with a master's degree, super awesome career, and numerous high academic and athletic accomplishments. I'd like to date someone that's able to keep up with me on debating current issues, enjoys doing activities outdoors, is not socially awkward, cares about their physical well-being, and has ambition to do something with his life. That's realistic, isn't it?

So far I only liked the people I was matched with on the free trial for eHarmony (educated, ambitious people with actual careers), but I'm not dedicated enough to dating right now to sign up with them on a year contract and pay $30/ month. I could do an extra horse show or foxhunting vacation per year instead!

You'll just have to create accounts on whatever sites you feel like using and see what each one offers for your area. For my area, Match.com is a big winner for professional women from what I've seen. OKCupid, not so much for anyone outside of the MetroRail system. Nor POF since they have much of the same membership base.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I am starting to think I'm the only fish in the sea!! And I am okay with swimming by myself in the ocean, but it would be nice to have other fish to talk to, and swim with and well, go canoeing with too I suppose. I think my part of the sea may be too close to a nuclear plant.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    I am starting to think I'm the only fish in the sea!! And I am okay with swimming by myself in the ocean, but it would be nice to have other fish to talk to, and swim with and well, go canoeing with too I suppose. I think my part of the sea may be too close to a nuclear plant.

Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    Well, if you ever come back to NoVA and I'm still living here, we'll have some deep conversations about the stuff you've made threads about in the past as I have a lot to pass on to you regarding some of those topics.

you have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaGinger View Post
    Can we share their screen names? The one who contacted me started with justm

How do you deal with the nerves when meeting someone!?

Ive been talking to someone for about a week and a half now. Online, and through text. We are suppose to be meeting tomorrow. I want to puke! lol I am so scared!

So far, he seems like a good guy, and we have great conversation. I even had a dream last night about our meeting, and it was awful lol. I can be shy around new people, add in being nervous... im thinking disaster!