The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm not off the market. I'm just unavailable for viewing Baby, yeah! DuecesWild11 also used to live in this area before relocating. I myself have been giving great thought to relocating as many of my friends are elsewhere - especially NC -, where I live in Northern VA is getting worse every year and the people I meet from day-to-day are pretty shitty to say the least, and the horse scene really has nothing to offer me at this point since I'm rather turned off by most of it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Measure up to what? My brother has had several nice ladies come through his life who he could have been very happy with IF HE COULD SEE THEM AS PEOPLE WITH FLAWS JUST AS HE HIMSELF HAS. Nobody ever measures up to someone else's expectations completely. To meet a total stranger and " date" them as a prospective boyfriend/spouse right from the get go ? The whole online dating thing is based on people's desperation. It works in a few cases I guess just out of luck. Some people are just meant to be forever single and content with it.
    I dunno. My friends and I have all me nice guys online. I don't think we're meant to be forever single. We are educated, cute, social, active and have great jobs and a big group of friends. Don't believe me? You can search me on Facebook. Just haven't met the right person elsewhere so we tried online.

My dad made a good point when i (for a short time) had the same I'm too good attitude about online dating. He told me I'd have just as good of a chance to meet losers at a bar and at least I could screen them a bit with online. He was spot on I think. Can't say I've had more bad dates with online guys than I had meeting them in a more traditional way.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

I can tell you that NC is great. I was here for 8 years, moved to NoVA for 5ish years because I wanted to live and work in horse country. Found out being a horse vet in horse country meant never having time for your own horses, and the f%$#%@@ traffic.

So I moved back to NC. I lived in Chapel Hill and N. Raleigh the first time, now I live just south of Raleigh (where more boarding opportunites exist). Horse scene is pretty active and it's close to everywhere. Of course, it's not as cosmopolitan as DC, but I hated fighting the tourists and traffic so much I rarely went into DC when I lived there.

If I was horseless, I'd live downtown. Raleigh is awesome. So is the Charlotte area, so is the Chapel Hill area, so is Asheville. NC is the bomb--you should totally relocate and save your sanity!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

My turn? Lmao.

Countrygirl_221 on OKC (and POF, I think. can't remember)

I'm not online much because, well, been busy. But... input definitely welcome! I'm really quite terrible at talking about myself, tried to be funny, but the profile kinda sucks.

now off to check out the other COTH people. lol!
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
    I dunno. My friends and I have all me nice guys online. I don't think we're meant to be forever single. We are educated, cute, social, active and have great jobs and a big group of friends. Don't believe me? You can search me on Facebook. Just haven't met the right person elsewhere so we tried online.

My dad made a good point when i (for a short time) had the same I'm too good attitude about online dating. He told me I'd have just as good of a chance to meet losers at a bar and at least I could screen them a bit with online. He was spot on I think. Can't say I've had more bad dates with online guys than I had meeting them in a more traditional way.
    Same here (well, less on the social side just because I work 6 days a week and occasionally 7! But I do love being out with friends whenever I can). My age group has a bit of a tough time in the area that I live in as well (cost of living is very high, and it's a college town, so there's lots of late teens/early twenties college kids, and a lot of older/established people, often already attached or married). Not a lot in the middle.

While what your dad said is *somewhat* true, what does happen in a bar is on sight chemistry. If a guy is attracted enough to you to come up in a bar (well, or any public place really I guess!), and if you're attracted enough to him to give him your number or flirt back, there already must be some of that chemistry there. And no, you don't have any idea if that person won't let their dog sleep in the house, are racist, have hobbies in common, or are your religion. But there is attraction. Online dating will tell you all those little factoids (which definitely are important), but not the other half...which is just as necessary for a relationship. And I'm not talking about looks particularly.

That's where things have fallen apart for me. I've been on quite a few online dates in the last 9 months or so and I've been on no dates really that were bad. They were all nice, relatively polite, and looked basically like their picture (in fact most were better looking!). But nobody I really clicked with (aside from one and even then I'm not even sure.)

I'm so tempted to put up my OKC profile for ya'll to review up here but I'm not sure I can handle it!

Ok, I just realized I didn't put MY username on there - I'm surfg - Lex, would you mind reviewing mine? Or anyone else, but it's nice to get a male perspective!

Oh, and I'm older than ALL of you :P. But that's ok - old people need love, too...

*Also raises hand for the Lex review.

Moody--my quick comment is restating several times the dog/surf thing seems redundant. It made me think that is all you're about, which I'm sure isn't true.

Meup--I'm sharp as a friggin' tack and your profile was work to read--very cerebral. Maybe that's your intent?

on my phone so not much else to offer...
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I'm not off the market. I'm just unavailable for viewing Baby, yeah! DuecesWild11 also used to live in this area before relocating. I myself have been giving great thought to relocating as many of my friends are elsewhere - especially NC -, where I live in Northern VA is getting worse every year and the people I meet from day-to-day are pretty shitty to say the least, and the horse scene really has nothing to offer me at this point since I'm rather turned off by most of it.
    That's really surprising because the horse community is primarily women and there are a lot of them in Virginia, more so than in other horsey parts of the country.

GAH! Take me with you!!!!

I, too, have been entertaining the idea of relocating (for quite some time now), and for the same reasons as you have listed.

I just have to sell my house and secure a job before I go anywhere.

But I. Must. Get. Out. Of. Here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Quote Originally Posted by HJalter123 View Post
    That's really surprising because the horse community is primarily women and there are a lot of them in Virginia, more so than in other horsey parts of the country.
    True facts. However, there is also a lot of pretentiousness and bullshittery in the DC/NoVA area; and trust me when I tell you it extends much farther than the boundaries of the city and the suburbs... (i.e.; all the way out to VA horse country, even). Yes, there are some good ones out there. But they are so few and far between, it's almost not even worth the time to try to seek one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    Moody--my quick comment is restating several times the dog/surf thing seems redundant. It made me think that is all you're about, which I'm sure isn't true.

Meup--I'm sharp as a friggin' tack and your profile was work to read--very cerebral. Maybe that's your intent?

on my phone so not much else to offer...
    I totally agree about the surf/dog/horses thing, and revised that a bit . Thank you! Although truthfully, I AM rather involved in the local surf scene, so that's an important part of my life. It's something someone who gets to know me can find out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    Ok, I just realized I didn't put MY username on there - I'm surfg - Lex, would you mind reviewing mine? Or anyone else, but it's nice to get a male perspective!

Oh, and I'm older than ALL of you :P. But that's ok - old people need love, too...
    Get rid of the second picture and beef up the self-summary a bit with more about yourself. I don't really know what you tell you to put there but just add more. That's really all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
    True facts. However, there is also a lot of pretentiousness and bullshittery in the DC/NoVA area; and trust me when I tell you it extends much farther than the boundaries of the city and the suburbs... (i.e.; all the way out to VA horse country, even). Yes, there are some good ones out there. But they are so few and far between, it's almost not even worth the time to try to seek one out.
    Reese is right. There are so many shitty horse people that I've lost count, and a lot of them are the big names that everyone thinks are so awesome. Truth be told, they're not. A lot of them just plain suck and they make me want to vomit every time I read about them or hear people going on and on about how wonderful they are. I just want to say, "Oh, really? That trainer who likes to give their horses 'cocktails' of drugs to make them more quiet? And that big name eventer who took a horse I know in for training and made her worse than what she already was, didn't have her feet done for 6 months, and she came home with SEVERE bloody blanket rubs? What about the trainer who cheats on his wife with hookers? Oh, and let's not forget this dressage trainer who regularly screams at and belittles her students, or the barn managers who act so damned nice, but then they don't bother to provide appropriate food or water to their boarders' horses, bitch about how they have no money, then fly to another state and buy a $$$ horse that they can't even ride, yet by God they sure as hell can't afford to fix up the property to make it better and/or safer for the horses and boarders. Those people? Yeah, they're fan-f**king-tastic, let me tell ya."

This is why I board/train way up out in the boonies of Maryland where I will probably be forever because Mr. See U is born and raised here and will likely never, ever leave. If it weren't for him, I'd be saying, "Peace out" to this cesspool of hell, too.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Get rid of the second picture and beef up the self-summary a bit with more about yourself. I don't really know what you tell you to put there but just add more. That's really all I have to say.
    Thank you! I did the first, and am working on the second. I cut my hair for locks of love, and am growing it back out (horrific process) but I'll be glad when it's back there. If I DID have that picture there I need some narrative, and when it's grown back out I could put that in, but not until. As slowly as my hair grows I'll probably have grandkids by then :P. I need to get a new horse picture, too - that one I have up is not particularly flattering (although I have worse). Maybe I'll see if my daughter will take a portrait shot this weekend with her horse. He's difficult to do that with, though, because he's such a ham and usually sticks his tongue out at you. I sold my horse recently and didn't want to put one of my project mare (although she's pretty) because she's not mine.

Throwing myself into the mix of profile reviewing: poisonouss (OkCupid) and illusory (Plenty of Fish).

I delete many more messages than I respond to, especially on POF. Last night a guy sent me a message, and I could not figure out what he was saying for the life of me, so I replied, "I'm sorry, I can't decipher that." And his reply was "Lol itsok do u want to chat on phone?"

Chatting right now with someone who was VERY upfront about "No games or bullsh!t, I want to know you not your body," etc. He's got "cowboy" in his screenname, so I asked if he was a real cowboy or if he played one on TV. Turns out, he's real--grew up on a ranch in Montana with 20 head of QHs! I'll see where it goes, chatting-wise....
    Last edited by BigBayHanoMare; Feb. 8, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo!

Alright, read through all the pages and now I'm tempted to make one, and have you all review it. I haven't met any new guys in a long time, and the last one I could go out for dinner and talk music just got a new job and is several states away. I'll get back to this tonight I think

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Throwing myself into the mix of profile reviewing: poisonouss (OkCupid) and illusory (Plenty of Fish).
    Beef up the text on your OKCupid profile. I think the pictures are fine but you may want to just pop some fresh ones up there in case you have any that you might like better that are more recent.

1 members found this post helpful.

Beef up the text on your OKCupid profile. I think the pictures are fine but you may want to just pop some fresh ones up there in case you have any that you might like better that are more recent.
    Ha, it's funny you should mention that, last time I redid the profile I chopped a LOT of text! Do you think every section needs more, or are there one or two that I should focus on?

I do need more/better photos...I prefer to be behind the camera, and when someone tries to take a photo of me, I run. But I'll look around, I just don't think I'm photogenic.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Reese is right. There are so many shitty horse people that I've lost count, and a lot of them are the big names that everyone thinks are so awesome. Truth be told, they're not. A lot of them just plain suck and they make me want to vomit every time I read about them or hear people going on and on about how wonderful they are. I just want to say, "Oh, really? That trainer who likes to give their horses 'cocktails' of drugs to make them more quiet? And that big name eventer who took a horse I know in for training and made her worse than what she already was, didn't have her feet done for 6 months, and she came home with SEVERE bloody blanket rubs? What about the trainer who cheats on his wife with hookers? Oh, and let's not forget this dressage trainer who regularly screams at and belittles her students, or the barn managers who act so damned nice, but then they don't bother to provide appropriate food or water to their boarders' horses, bitch about how they have no money, then fly to another state and buy a $$$ horse that they can't even ride, yet by God they sure as hell can't afford to fix up the property to make it better and/or safer for the horses and boarders. Those people? Yeah, they're fan-f**king-tastic, let me tell ya."
    Don't get me started. The stuff that bothers me the most is the "Halo Effect" that hangs over the local scene. There's a certain local rider who has a long and sordid history of mental problems and disgusting conduct. Some of the people on this forum hold her up as some sort of shining example of the best that the sport has to offer and they don't even know her at all outside of when they are licking her Gucci boots at shows. She claims to be successful and to have worked hard and all this other BS to earn a place for herself - everything she claims is hers was given to her by someone else or belongs to her family - but it's basically her family's money and willingness to spread like peanut butter to get where she wants to go that got her where she is today. In college, she was basically a slut who partied and slept her way through the years and even did a bit of amateur porn in the dorms that you can still find if you know where to look. As an adult, she's never really worked, preferring to drink and party when she's not riding or clocking in and disappearing for a paycheck, and every job she has ever had was given to her by someone she knows including the one she has now. She has supposedly "settled down" but from what I know, it seems to be a sham like the rest of her adult life. Her husband isn't attractive - overweight and balding in fact - and she appears to have guilt-tripped him into keeping her as a trophy wife by getting knocked up, which is really what she's always wanted according to her many dating site profiles, some of which are still up.

1 members found this post helpful.