The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Tap View Post
    I am too old for online dating. Back in the day we used the "Companion" section in the local newspaper. Some of the responses I received were very entertaining. Even met some very nice men though none of the clicked.

Then one day I received a note from what seemed the perfect man for my life style. Unfortunately it was sent by the women I worked with who were playing a joke on me. That was very sad.
    This is how my parents met. My dad listed a personal ad, and my mom responded along with a few other women. They dated, moved in together a month or two later and purposely got pregnant with me to be born a year later. The both had been married before and knew what they wanted. And they are still together and married now for 24 years.

I used OKC for a few months and found current BF. I tried not to do *too* much judging based on appearance, and sure enough BF is short and bald but also smart, funny, passionate about his job, and a whole lot of other things I didn't know I wanted!

I required legible writing (some spelling mistakes were ok), at least a bachelor's degree, and some indication of a sense of humor. The initial message had to show they read my profile, I wasn't interested in guys just prowling by pictures. I usually looked at the questions but didn't put much stock in them. Likewise with the percentages, because for instance some guy may have answered 20 questions and been a "50% match" because he doesn't like peanut butter. I also didn't trade messages for too long before meeting. A few back-and-forth messages and I figured it was better to find out about chemistry now rather than later. And really, you potentially have more information on this person than some guy you met in a bar.

One of the downsides is wading through the "Hey gurl you're eyez are pretty" messages that flood in just before the weekend
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Are we all on OK Cupid?

If so, we should exchange user names and we can go over each other's profiles.
    I am (surprise!) meupatdoes on there.

Although I am currently in the seeing-someone-before-social-media-declares-it-official stage. (Who messaged me on OKC and politely persisted for nearly six months before I finally relented.)

Meup,

I totally just checked you out on OKC.

I am XXXwho.

Meup,

I totally just checked you out on OKC.

I am XXXwho.

I just totally tried to check you out on OKC but couldn't find anyone named , as I pronounced it in my head, "triplexwho". Then I checked my visitors and

1.) went, "oooooooh, now I get it"
    and
    2.) gee, my female visitors have gone WAY high all of a sudden!

lol!

2 members found this post helpful.

Bwahah, I know! You have a very brainy profile, btw!

Meup,

I was going to say the same thing Moody did. If I didn't 'know' you through this site, I would be so intimated by you.

Do you see anything in mine that I should change?

I will expose the woman behind the curtain. My username is onawho.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Ah, yes! See u at x, that is exactly what I said to my friend after my last lackluster date... I have so many really NEAT people in my life that it is hard for most people to measure up.
    Measure up to what? My brother has had several nice ladies come through his life who he could have been very happy with IF HE COULD SEE THEM AS PEOPLE WITH FLAWS JUST AS HE HIMSELF HAS. Nobody ever measures up to someone else's expectations completely. To meet a total stranger and " date" them as a prospective boyfriend/spouse right from the get go ? The whole online dating thing is based on people's desperation. It works in a few cases I guess just out of luck. Some people are just meant to be forever single and content with it.

Well, I'll be checking you all out in the not-too-distant-future. I think I'll try the site and I'll want to check out your profiles to get some tips on how to build mine.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Hmm. I think I'm too judgey for most things in life, especially those that require me to be sociable and interact with people in a non-work situation.

Related: Have you guys seen this farmersonly.com site? I was bored the other night and the concept was highly amusing to me, so I perused it. Definitely not only farmers on there.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

1 members found this post helpful.

Me too! That's probably why I've been single for 6 years...

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Seriously.

Anyone else?

And it's not usually the picture. It'll be a spelling/grammar mistake, their location or job, lack of education, height...

Am I too quick to judge or do I just have standards?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I am Allinator11, and I just visited you Meupatdoes! I used to be "DeucesWild", that's my horses name.. but, shocker, I got too many messages from visitors "So are you really wild?" Ha! It's a fun site though!

Meup,

I was going to say the same thing Moody did. If I didn't 'know' you through this site, I would be so intimated by you.

Do you see anything in mine that I should change?

I will expose the woman behind the curtain. My username is onawho.
    I thought your profile was a good mix of friendly and upbeat and had enough interests mentioned (without sounding like a laundry list) that someone who wanted to strike up an intelligent conversation could find something to chit chat about.

Fix "agruement."

And personally I would leave out the part about people falling down in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Measure up to what? My brother has had several nice ladies come through his life who he could have been very happy with IF HE COULD SEE THEM AS PEOPLE WITH FLAWS JUST AS HE HIMSELF HAS. Nobody ever measures up to someone else's expectations completely. To meet a total stranger and " date" them as a prospective boyfriend/spouse right from the get go ? The whole online dating thing is based on people's desperation. It works in a few cases I guess just out of luck. Some people are just meant to be forever single and content with it.
    Nice to know all of us trying online dating are desperate and unlucky. Super classy response candyappy. Two posts in a single off topic day illuminating how much of a judgmental jerk you are. Lovely.

5 members found this post helpful.

I do kind of get it though - the whole - DATE aspect. You KNOW what you're there for - there is no accidental meeting, no other purpose besides getting to know someone with the whole idea of forming a relationship with a capital "R." And that kind of bugs me on some very primal level. I don't really have time for meetup, but that seems more along the lines of what dating sort of should be to me. So I kind of poke along on the site hoping that I will click with someone but not really trying, which is not really fair.

And Muchingonhay, you have some beautiful pictures on there - I would switch the black and white picture to your primary picture. You look MUCH more feminine and alluring than I do . Also, you are seeking someone who is - people are who's :P. Although a partner is WHAT is correct, because a partner is a thing. Don't tell people your specific school - that's a safety issue. And not a small little business .

To meet a total stranger and " date" them as a prospective boyfriend/spouse right from the get go ? The whole online dating thing is based on people's desperation. It works in a few cases I guess just out of luck. Some people are just meant to be forever single and content with it.
    This has not been my experience.
    Some of the people I met on OKC went seamlessly into lasting friendships.

But then again I have idly kept a profile on there since my college years, which was largely neglected, and which I only responded to messages on occasion, and usually belatedly. Not everyone checks their inbox every day wondering if Mr. Right has landed yet.

So perhaps that behavior self-selects against suitors who are desperate for a relationship with a capital R.

That's probably true - younger people are probably more casual about the whole experience . I've noticed that my oldest stepdaughter (who is in her early 30's) used it to find friends, as well and seemed to use it a bit like facebook.

I closed my OkC when I decided it was time to take a break. I'm at the point that I'd re-up (so-to-speak), but I think I want to re-do my profile from scratch. And I'm having a bit of good-profile-name inertia.

I've had 2 LTRs--one from Match, one from CL. OkC was fun and I've made several good friends and had one short-lived, but very *fun* fling. For that alone, OkC will always hold a special place in my heart.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

There are some good tips about creating a profile and on-line dating in general in the book "Not Your Mother's Rules".

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    Nice to know all of us trying online dating are desperate and unlucky. Super classy response candyappy. Two posts in a single off topic day illuminating how much of a judgmental jerk you are. Lovely.
    Hey, she showed her true colors. OT days a great way to clean up your COTH pool

3 members found this post helpful.