The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So the anti-gun voice skips right over the mental illness, erratic behavior, security, follow-up and police action in this entire scenario and goes against the gun only.

Short-sighted.

8 members found this post helpful.

Guns do not kill people, it is the person pulling the trigger that kills people. Even if guns were outlawed there would still be shootings. Do you think that a criminal is going to follow some gun law? No. Any criminal who is set on committing such an act is going to. The issue is not guns or "gun culture" (what is that anyway?) the issue is the people in general. Maybe we need to look at mental health care, stricter laws/punishments, or different measures of security. I don't claim to know the answer, and I'm not sure anyone really can answer that at this point.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default This. Made. My . Day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    What exactly is a "gun culture", happymom? Is it your next door neighbor, who happens to be a skilled neurosurgeon and enjoys hunting or target shooting? Is it me - a 67 yo woman - who owns a couple of handguns, shoots very infrequently, but enjoys target shooting occasionally? Is it a friend, who owns many, is a fabulous dog trainer and hunting guide?

Or is the "gun culture" the parents who encourage/enable/foster violent games - video or otherwise; who depend on these unsupervised/unexamined (so they'd know what kind of game it is) activities to keep their children amused and out of their way from the time they're babies? Who are more concerned with being their kids' BBF than with being their parent, so couldn't possibly tell the kid "No, you're NOT sitting in front of the TV/computer - you're going outside." Or better yet, "No, WE'RE not sitting in front of the computer/TV - we're going on a hike/to a museum/to a historic site/natural site (Howe's Caverns comes to mind). Bring your camera and let's go."

Whose fault it this "gun culture?" What drugs are we feeding our kids? Does anyone READ the possible side effects? Or, having read them, is it just another case of "oh, scare tactics" "won't happen to me/my kid?"

Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

Carol
    You are my hero!

Well done. I am astonished that not a whisper to Hollywood and the GORE from some of these movies. Did you all know there is a video game that simulates COLUMBINE? Oh, yes, you can be Dylan Clebold. But that's ok folks, right?

After all, it has nothing to do with the amazing amount of violence and complete disregard for just, well, basic decency in movies and TV ( I'm not talking all religious, I'm just saying some of the violence is beyond over the top).

And everything to do with gun owners.

Yes indeedy.

Because after all, it wasn't like Adam Lanza's mother knew he had mental problems, yet kept guns in the house that Adam had access to, and even encouraged him to learn to shoot, yet, even though people knew she was worried about him, the guns were somehow still available to him.
    Sorry for the run on sentence.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    My personal world is not governed by fear.
    Oh but is.

You fear those who are willing and capable of defending themselves because you are not.

You fear those who wish to harm you because you know you are not capable of going toe to toe with them. Instead you secretly wish the police miraculously appears to save you and you wish for a fantasy world in which guns are majikally gone thinking that violence will be gone too.

And to make it worse you project your fears onto those of us who are actually not afraid to use violence against aggressors.

Seek professional help.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just because the judge set bail at $900K doesn't mean she made bail.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

caballero
    Originally Posted by happymom
    My personal world is not governed by fear.
    Oh but is.

You fear those who are willing and capable of defending themselves because you are not.

You fear those who wish to harm you because you know you are not capable of going toe to toe with them. Instead you secretly wish the police miraculously appears to save you and you wish for a fantasy world in which guns are majikally gone thinking that violence will be gone too.

And to make it worse you project your fears onto those of us who are actually not afraid to use violence against aggressors.

Seek professional help.

Just wanted to re-post this to show the real problem.

7 members found this post helpful.

Will this gun culture continue to dominate life and death in this country?
    More appropriately, will this untreated mental illness culture continue to dominate life and death in this country? Along with the culture of not offending anyone by labeling them as mentally ill or forcing them to get treatment because we might hurt their feelings, plus it's "profiling"?

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Oh but is.

Seek professional help.
    Gun nuts make me laugh. Especially the ones who think that they'd be able to take down a moving, shooting human target in a crowded melee without hitting innocent bystanders or being mistaken for the aggressor and being shot themselves. And with a handgun, no less... notoriously hard to fire accurately when not at point-blank range. All that training at the range may make you think you are a badass, but I'd bet serious money that 99.9% of you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in a critical situation.

So really, who is projecting and needs professional help?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Gun nuts make me laugh. Especially the ones who think that they'd be able to take down a moving, shooting human target in a crowded melee without hitting innocent bystanders or being mistaken for the aggressor and being shot themselves. And with a handgun, no less... notoriously hard to fire accurately when not at point-blank range. All that training at the range may make you think you are a badass, but I'd bet serious money that 99.9% of you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in a critical situation.

So really, who is projecting and needs professional help?
    You have no earthly idea of the kind of training available to anyone that wants it and who gives it. If you think that all I do is stand on a firing line and shoot at stationary target, you don't know jack.

And I'd rather be what you describe than be some coward who will sit back and watch innocents murdered while "bravely" calling 911 and waiting for the police from a hidey hole. Or worse yet, running away.

Just wanted to re-post this to show the real problem.
    I guess we can split the world in two: you on the side of those who will do nothing to defend themselves or others and me on the side of those who will.

I can live with that.

You have no earthly idea of the kind of training available to anyone that wants it and who gives it. If you think that all I do is stand on a firing line and shoot at stationary target, you don't know jack.

And I'd rather be what you describe than be some coward who will sit back and watch innocents murdered while "bravely" calling 911 and waiting for the police from a hidey hole. Or worse yet, running away.
    Let us not forget it took the police OVER 20 mins to reach Sandy Hook. The station is 2.3 miles away.

The moment police arrived on scene and there was someone who could oppose what Adam Lanza was doing he stopped shooting children and took his own life.

Certainly seems to me if there had been someone there capable of opposing him sooner that tragedy might have been less gruesome.

Schools,children,elderly , large gatherings are all targets because they are often entirely defenseless and unsuspecting. There is clearly enough crazy in the world that we should stop pretending not to notice it.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Bravo!!

And this does NOT make one a "gun nut". Sheesh.

Again, why is it ok to call one a gun nut but not ok to hold the movie and gaming industry even remotely accountable?

I am pretty sure ( I cold be mistaken) that most of these mass shooters, surely the school shooters, were major violent video game fans.

But, the focus is ONLY or primarily on gun owners.

And let's not forget, the above mentioned places are "gun free zones".

Think the shooters aren't aware of that??

Anyone seen your average movie lately? Grindhouse? Resident Evil? There are scores of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Let us not forget it took the police OVER 20 mins to reach Sandy Hook. The station is 2.3 miles away.

The moment police arrived on scene and there was someone who could oppose what Adam Lanza was doing he stopped shooting children and took his own life.

Certainly seems to me if there had been someone there capable of opposing him sooner that tragedy might have been less gruesome.

Schools,children,elderly , large gatherings are all targets because they are often entirely defenseless and unsuspecting. There is clearly enough crazy in the world that we should stop pretending not to notice it.
    Last edited by Brandy76; Feb. 6, 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: thought
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Several posters have spoken about the dangers of ordinary people trying to stop a shooting rampage. There is the potential to miss and hit someone other than the shooter. This is true. I've considered this, therefore, My weapon is defensive only. It is only to protect me and my family. Only when the shooter is directly threatening me, only then, I will shoot.

Wanderlust & ilk ... you're on your own.

Just blame the gun owners, it's easy. /sarcasm

See, there have been shootings in gun free zones. Therefore, if we were to make this nation a gun free zone there would still be shootings. Don't you get it? These people are criminals, they don't follow whatever laws/rules/regulations are in place.

There have been situations where citizens have defended themselves successfully without harming others, too. There have been times where a citizen carrying a gun has helped a situation prior to the arrival of law enforcement. The police cannot always be there and we may be left to defend ourselves. If you do not want to protect yourself that is of no issue to me or anyone else.

We do have a large mental health issue in this country, though. That is its own can of worms.

I just do not see taking away firearms as the answer, or as the problem. Even if we took them away criminals will find a way or resort to something else.

I guess it's OK for cops to let loose on a busy street and mow down nine innocent people to get one gunman.....http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25...olice-gunfire/....and get away with it.

Anti-gun crazies make me want to return lunch.

3 members found this post helpful.

Can someone explain to me why they watch the same movies and videos in Canada and don't have the gun accidents, murders and suicides we do?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I guess it's OK for cops to let loose on a busy street and mow down nine innocent people to get one gunman.....http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25...olice-gunfire/....and get away with it.

Anti-gun crazies make me want to return lunch.
    You just proved the anti-gun crazies point. Even trained professionals couldn't take down the gunman without shooting innocent bystanders.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You just proved the anti-gun crazies point. Even trained professionals couldn't take down the gunman without shooting innocent bystanders.
    Trained professionals??? LOL You don't have a clue. About all 95% of cops in this country do in terms of "training" is go to a square range and shoot at immobile targets while themselves remaining fixed in place.

The guys I shoot IDPA with can easily run rings around most cops when it comes to shooting under stress.

And if even "trained" professionals can't handle this, why do you and your kind tolerate them with firearms?

You people can't win an argument because your arguments fail even the most basic of logical tests.

2 members found this post helpful.

Trained professionals??? LOL You don't have a clue. About all 95% of cops in this country do in terms of "training" is go to a square range and shoot at immobile targets while themselves remaining fixed in place.

The guys I shoot IDPA with can easily run rings around most cops when it comes to shooting under stress.

And if even "trained" professionals can't handle this, why do you and your kind tolerate them with firearms?

You people can't win an argument because your arguments fail even this most basic of logical tests.
    I totally agree with this. A couple of years ago, my hubby and I took my nephew-in-law who is a LEO, duck hunting. Almost 2 boxes (50 rounds) of shells later, no ducks. He couldn't hit a moving target. It embarrassed him so badly that he refuses to even go target shooting with us.

1 members found this post helpful.

Armed citizens have stopped at least a couple of the school shootings, let alone armed police officers.

It's pretty frightening when you look at the history of school shootings in our "gun culture"... hardly any until the onslaught of technology, video games, cell phones, tv, violent movies, facebook, divorce, parents out of touch, more and more environmental issues used and discovered like plain old plastic and food dyes. Autism has risen too.

And that's not counting the centuries in our "gun culture" when every household had a gun and the wild west and all that. It took technology and all the rest in varied combinations to make killers out of kids.