The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody else hate WalMart?

I only go there when there's no other option, and absolutely never on Sunday after church because it's loaded with people just wandering around looking for something to spend money on- and getting in the way of people that actually have a purpose for being there.

Honestly, I don't think the prices are that great either. I can do much better shopping the sales at Kroger, and stopping by Aldi's or Save-a-lot once in a while for certain items. Walmart meat is high priced and not very flavorful- I get my meat from a local (but very reasonably priced) butcher shop once a month when we make the once-a-month trip to get a truckload of grain.

The only good thing about Walmart is the entertainment value, especially around the first of the month. My local and pretty rural store would be an excellent choice for taking "people of Walmart" pictures!

3 members found this post helpful.

I absolutely cannot STAND it. The place gives me anxiety attacks. I either plan ahead and have a few beers beforehand and have Mama drive me or I take a Xanax... The place is awful, loaded with people, and I always end up spending more than I mean to.
    Quarry Rat

...Nope, not really. My preference around here is Meijer > Wal-Mart > Family Fare > Martin's (Martin's coming last because they just cost so much more than the others.) Meijer is the best value for groceries and getting everything in one stop with the best grocery selection, Wal-Mart is best for non-perishables, Family Fare has decent selection and is cheaper if I'm in a hurry and don't want to go a town over, Martins' is nice, has a good meat counter, but is just REALLY pricey and weirdly doesn't always have a great fruit selection. (No Kroger around here, never heard anything nice about Aldi's, and the one time I went in a Save-a-Lot after having been warned never to do that, they looked dirty and cheap in a bad way.)

I WISH I had a Trader Joe's somewhere nearby. I don't miss Whole Paycheck, but I do miss Trader Joe's.

1 members found this post helpful.

I"m with you, I really hate it. I figured out a couple of years ago that I spent less in Kroger than Walmart. I don't shop there on principle either. The last time I was in there, the food seemed to be mostly processed crap and the fresh stuff didn't look very good either.

Their meat is atrocious. We have a Meijer now and their meat isn't great either, but we're not big meat eaters, so no biggie.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I would rather shoot myself in the foot than set foot in WalMart.
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

10 members found this post helpful.

I've honestly only been to WM once. I wasn't impressed, so I haven't been back. I shop at various grocery stores in my area, Target and Trader Joe's (and the occasional farm store).
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I've only been in a walmart once. I observed that their products were cheap in every way (namely, will fall apart quickly after purchased, or were junk to begin with) and left. Low quality products is what they sell to people who don't really understand the value of quality.

I hate Walmart. I hate their employment practices, and the way they undercut the little guys and put them out of business. I won't even step into one.

Last summer I almost sold my soul for a very, very well paid internship at their corporate headquarters... I've never been so relieved to not get a job!!

7 members found this post helpful.

I hate Walmart just on principle...they are part of a vicious cycle of abusing employees, yet being the only place for people to work. It's a shame.

I will admit to venturing into my local one every few weeks to stock up on Nantucket Nectars...they're $.98, instead of $1.98 everywhere else! And so delicious!

I haven't set foot in one in at least six years. And i have no plans to do so anytime soon.

I think Wal-Mart has had a large hand in the demise of local small businesses while making billions of dollars for the top of the corporate chain. For these reasons, I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I'd rather spend a bit more at a local or regional store.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

6 members found this post helpful.

Thank goodness I have a choice of where to shop. And, because I do, I choose not to shop at either Walmart or Sam's Club. I don't care if their products cost less, the way their employees are treated is an abomination and I believe that their quest for "cheap" has lead many of the manufacturers of their products to be forced to go to China. They are so large that they can hold those manufacturers over a barrel and dictate terms. If you want quality, you won't find it at Walmart.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

7 members found this post helpful.

I go there very, very rarely. I hate it. I have one fairly close to me, but I prefer Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and a couple locally owned grocery stores. Once in a great great while I have to run in there, and I spend as little time as possible and get out as quickly as I can! It used to be the ONLY place I could shop when I lived in Northern AZ and since moving from there I try to avoid avoid avoid. I don't eat a lot of meat, so I buy from our local stores that sell from local grass-fed and humanely treated ranches. It costs more, but I'd rather have infrequent but delicious and ethically raised meat than frequent nasty cheap meat from factory farms.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I hate Walmart just on principle...they are part of a vicious cycle of abusing employees, yet being the only place for people to work. It's a shame.
    Go in there at night when they are stocking. The employees look like Hebrew slaves building the pyramids pulling those huge skids around. And the pace is frantic.

Can't stand the atmosphere!! There is stress and tension the minute you walk in the place. I've known employees there who 'got punished' for being nice - transferred to bathroom duty. Their management rewards snitching so everyone has to watch their backs. It is not at all what Sam Walton envisioned anymore.

I agree their prices are no longer that great. I will not shop there.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

5 members found this post helpful.

I give thanks every time I walk into my local organic food store that I have the option to shop there, and that I can bypass the WalMart that has opened in the shopping center next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    I hate Walmart. I hate their employment practices, and the way they undercut the little guys and put them out of business. I won't even step into one.
    Agreed, although the employment practices may be better in Canada... but I hate the place, plus they are right across from the auction/meat auction so I avoid this side of town anyway.
    I don't think they are cheaper and I'd rather support the local businesses. Not the big bullies from South of the border!

Do not like shopping there, but once in a while it must be done (there are a few items I have only been able to find there, or that do have a much better price there.) I greatly prefer Target for most things, and tend to buy food at grocery stores unless I'm already in Walmart for some reason.

Me. I hate it. Refuse to shop there. Hate what it stands for, the type of people that it attracts and the long lines.

I buy Lantus for my cat at Walmart. It's a few dollars cheaper than the least expensive on-line options without the $20-25.00 shipping. It's as much as $75.00/10mL bottle less expensive than the local pharmacies. Sadly Mr. Zorro isn't eligible for my insurance plan and that adds up to a lot of money in a year.

Mr. Zorro is 19 years old and has been diabetic for about 8 years. He still seems happy enough but he's winding down. I think the savings on the Lantus is going to be a moot point more sooner than later.

I only go there to get things I can't get elsewhere, such as big bags of candy for work. I think if I ever stopped putting out candy the patrons would riot, and mine are heavily armed (but not in the library). I always go to Publix when I have a choice, and I have found that the prices aren't all that much different. They also have a better selection at Publix. If a customer asks one of the section manager for a product they don't carry, or stopped carrying they'll order it for them, and you don't get service like that at Walmart. When you factor in the wait time for a cashier at Walmart, then it really isn't cheaper to go there anyway. Usually, I just go to get the big bags of the peppermints, or the hard candy, because the regular grocery store doesn't handle this.

I definitely never get prescriptions at Walmart either. I don't think waiting in line for an hour is a good use of my time, and I get that plus flu shots at the Publix also. Walmart started off with a great idea, but they certainly have deteriorated over the years.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White