The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OP, did you ever think you'd lose so much sleep, argue so hard with vets or do such deep soul searching over..... cat sh!t?

I certainly didn't. But the issue has made my head spin around backwards. Perhaps I needed to be humbled and discovering my powerlessness over a cat's patoot did it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have been thinking lately that one of my cats is having a problem. I found this-
    http://felineconstipation.org/

Who knew?
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Default Good news / bad news NO NO not Katharine Ann ~ "shuttle still has not landed"

lilitiger2 and mvp ````` good news bad news ideas

1. while I appreciate ALL the detail and you "know" cat butts and enemas !!!

2. I suffer from ELGT ```` that's Extremely Low Gag Threshold

3. consequently my uncontrolled * response to all this information is

YARK YARK YARK HURL !!!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Talking Zu Zu - proceed with care - possible HURL alert!!!!!!! :)

MVP- No I did not envision such a dedicated interest in kitty poop matters. There was a moment there, yesterday, after he "cleared", when the vet gloved up to get a better look the blood, and to check how much hair, consistency and so forth. So as she was poking around she'd say, "Here, look this" and I'd lean in, as though we were at Jared or Kay Jewelers admiring fine jewelry! It was pretty funny!:

Betsyk that is hysterical about the terrier!! We have a big Bouvier (a "terrier type") but he steers pretty clear of the little fuzzy things!! Wish I knew someone who could loan me one! What a great strategy your little girl has developed!!

Still no poop, but he just got cleaned out yesterday. If nothing by tomorrow am, I am to give him subq and see what happens by Friday. He seems to be eating okay, although he has never beena chow hound at all, so have to keep reminding him. And he has had lactulose AND Miralax (which, as people pointed out, I guess takes a while to kick in). His blood work is all normal. Any point in doing xrays at this point? to see if any kind of structural issue? his poops are round and full, not thin, but I didn't know if pictures would show anything useful.

Amazing how with all the drama in the world, and even in my life, my entire focus has revolved around whether or not there has been poop, if he is in his box. It truly is the little things!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I have been thinking lately that one of my cats is having a problem. I found this-
    http://felineconstipation.org/

Who knew?
    VERY Interesting article, thanks! Particularly about the carbs....THANKS!

OP, if he was scoured clean just yesterday AND you are feeding him Miralax and/or Lactulose, I'd wait more than 48 hours. JMO. Ask your vet. But the sucka might be pretty empty right now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP - that was my thinking, that he just will not have enough in there, particularly because he is not much of an eater (anyway). I have to keep reminding him to eat. She said she wanted his poops "like pudding" by Friday - don't see that happening, but the day is young! When he cleared Sat am, the vet (#2) thought he'd poop by Sunday night (nope), and then by Mon night (still nope) and then by Tuesday am (nope). He is eating, though,just not like my eats-anything-including-rubber-bands-and-hair-ties guy.

With or without subq, I am hoping he will evacuate without any enemas.Two is plenty (IMO) until I know whats up. I guess we'll see. i think that if I do the subq, and there is still nothing by tomorrow, they will do something but not sure what. I think the food (RC or I/D) will be in so we will try that as well!!

Nothing to add but continued jingles. And thanks.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

POOP!!!!!

The first non enemized poop in a week! doing the happy dance!

We have an appointment tomorrow though to pursue this - took miralax, lactulose and subq fluids. Still not pudding.

Maybe he will need subq regularly? It does seem to work for him, not sure what that means but so far, now three times, about 5 hours after the subq, he "delivers". He is noticably more active, although it was certainly not as "complete" as the "flooded versions".

Spoke with a friend at the gym today about him and wound up having an interesting discussion of gastro issues in people. Amazing how the world really can revolve around poop.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default The "shuttle " has landed ! The poop Fairy was here ! Holy $hit !!Katharine DUMPED !!

Hooray !!!!

The 'shuttle has landed' !!!

The 'POOOP' fairy was here !!!!

Holy $hit !!!!!

Katharine Ann has "dumped" !!!!

OK ~ a "hurl" opportunity here today ~~~ need to adjust that
    Miralax a bit !!!

You know that saying ?

" When it's raining pudding ``` hold out your bowl !"

well my ELGT had a work-out today !!!

Tomorrow's vet apt has been cancelled and we are a

Happy Home again !!! phew !!!!

and SO proud of our "loose woman" Katharine Ann !!!

WoooooHoooooooo!!! Go Katherine Ann!!! Way to deliver!!!! Yaaaaaaay!!!!

We are not, sadly, raining pudding yet, but we at least are closer! He sat right beside the box while I was cleaning it ("good kitty, GOOD KITTY!") just as proud as he could be!!!

Poop....the stuff of life

Big pets for Katharine Ann!

Default Please ' ??/ his name ?? of your famous $hitter ? !

We will all sleep better tonight !

I kept coming back from the barn to check for the 'shuttle'

well finally I just placed dear Kathrine in her box ``` for her deposit `` she looked at me like "OH ! YOU want me to crap ?!" DUH !!!

lilitiger2 ..
    Good Luck tomorrow at the vet `````

and be careful of that
    Miralax dosage ```

My cat pooped today, too.... perhaps because she knew she had a vet appointment.

Or the stars were aligned such that all cats on Earth would crap today.

It's amazing how much a cat can poop when "steps have been taken" and the cat finally gets with the program.

Clean out those litter boxes, people. You don't want to make the scene of the crime unattractive for next time.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well ANOTHER vet visit today!
    BiiiiiiG fun - both a RECTAL (wooohooo) and xray!

update: Rectal exam all normal but his colon is "bigger than expected" but not mega (yet).

We are trying prescription W/D, wet and dry. And still lactulose and miralax.

And more subq sunday if no poop.

At least feel like I have a better handle on the issue (bigger colon,I guess).

In the back of my mind, keep wondering about cats in the wild - what do they do with big colons? Do they juts die from being plugged? Does a good mouse or two keep them going?

Sigh. Kitty box SPOTLESS

Jingles. If you weren't already told this, lactulose is essentially dosed to affect. Too much of it, and you cause diarrhea and then back down on dosing. Some cats do better with more filbert and some with less. Cisapride will soon be permanently unavailable, if it isn't already. Pilocarpine eye drops can be used orally as a substitute as a pro motility agent.

Jingles & AO for all to "poop" and fewer vet visits ~

Sending prayers for a weekend of rest & recovery and " Poop" !

lilitiger2 & mvp -- please name your dear cats `` would so much like to send specific Jingles & AO !

FYI readers at home: Cisapride is a motility drug. YMMV with that stuff. It is/was expensive and didn't do diddly for my cat (though my cool vet in the barrio gave me some expired stuff to try on the cheap).

ZuZu-- Catness is currently keeping her name on the down low, as she has plans for a Senate race in 2014. She does not want to talk about caca in any hearings.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default I understand ~ she can count on my vote !

OK ~ I understand completely ```

Please tell her she can count on my vote !

* wait a minute !!! I think possibly you're withholding your cat's name

peeecause .... you stole this cat from a fellow cother !!!!

very very sly !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    FYI readers at home: Cisapride is a motility drug. YMMV with that stuff. It is/was expensive and didn't do diddly for my cat (though my cool vet in the barrio gave me some expired stuff to try on the cheap).

ZuZu-- Catness is currently keeping her name on the down low, as she has plans for a Senate race in 2014. She does not want to talk about caca in any hearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    OK ~ I understand completely ```

Please tell her she can count on my vote !

* wait a minute !!! I think possibly you're withholding your cat's name

peeecause .... you stole this cat from a fellow cother !!!!

very very sly !!!!
    You will be able to recognize this candidate because she is

Both black and white.

Female... but also 89 years old in cat years, so no one's naive sex kitten.

This cat attained Truck Cat status. She also rode shotgun all the way through my PhD, so plenty educated (at least for the parts during which she was awake).

Well-versed in the high cost of health care.

Not remarkable for her a$$.

Had we not discussed her butt in detail her prior to releasing her name, I think things could have gone differently. Because you guys met the wrong end first, this is how it has to go.
    Last edited by mvp; Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The wrong end of a cat is better than the right end of most people. My vote is for Katniss, reluctant hero of the people.