The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking of starting a snarky blog?

So, I can be a bit of a sarcastic, snarky b... "mare" at times. Since I started horse shopping a few months ago, and then marketing my project, I've been posting some of the horrible ads I see to my personal facebook page (You see a few interesting things looking for <$1000 horses in the sticks). Of course I add in my own colorful commentary.

It seems pretty popular with my group of friends, and usually starts interesting and funny discussion. When I mentioned off-hand that I should start a blog, the idea really took off. Several people are really encouraging me to do it!

However, I'm wondering if the world really needs any more of that? My funny sarcasm can definitely dip into mean territory and I don't know if that's a path I should let myself down.

My intent isn't always just to poke fun, though. I often see what could potentially be a great horse badly represented. Sometimes I am tempted to send emails to people with no idea how to market decent horses and put in my two cents, but don't feel like it would be constructive. Nor do I want to waste my time getting in an online argument with hillbillies.

But maybe the blog could be a "what not to wear" kind of thing where I make fun of it, then make comments for improvement? I do love that show!

And finally, if I were to create such a blog, what would be a cute or funny name for it?
    Last edited by ellevt; Feb. 5, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling

I think it would be fun if it leans more towards cute/clever/educational/OMG and less towards mean/hateful/insulting. But that's just me.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

4 members found this post helpful.

To each his own, but I happen to agree with your sentiments that the world probably doesn't need this blog.

My reservations in this matter are less to do with any possible offense you might give to these sellers (because they probably will never see your writing) and more to do with how the readers of your blog will perceive you. If you dedicate your time to writing a icky, snarky blog, then you will be seen (perhaps accurately) as an icky, snarky person. Who wants that?

And I just have to add, when sellers write poor ads, their products typically do not sell. Cause and effect. If it bothers you to read these ads then...don't read them. But I would be mildly offended if I was contacted by a stranger who decided she needed to "teach" me how to write a better advertisement, and my guess is that most people would share my opinion.

3 members found this post helpful.

Depends on how you want to look to the world. Think about that.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Honestly? In one paragraph you are saying you don't want to be mean, and in the next paragraph you are saying "Nor do I want to waste my time getting in an online argument with hillbillies."

There's no funny in that -- it's pure mean. You're just dismissing the people behind the ads you want to mock on stereotypical social/economic grounds and giving yourself an exceptionally superior attitude while you do so.

If you can't get through one post on here without diving into cheap shots, how are you going to write an entire blog?

And if you still think you want to write an entire blog, go read Fugly. Understand where the Fugly blog started and where it ended with the original writer. Understand how the tone shifted from clever/sarcastic/educational to pure rant. Pay attention to how the comments shifted and where the ugly pack mentality at the end came from. Know if you want to end up there and, if not, how you will prevent it since you're already one foot in the door in the direction.

Then go read all the people who have tried to take over Fugly since she quit -- and failed. Figure out how you are going to succeed when they couldn't.

And then if you still want to start a blog, go for it. But make sure you really understand what you're writing, why you're writing it, and how you are going to make the blog work.

5 members found this post helpful.

Are you going to be selling your projects routinely? When I shop, I do a pretty thorough online search of the seller, and might be turned off by a too-snarky blog (partly in fear that I would find myself on it!).
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

My personal feeling is that there is already too much negativity in the world. I am not going to actively seek out more, nor will I read a blog that pokes fun at others, especially kids with their show bows.

So basically you're looking for the thumbs up to be a beotch! ....."SUPER" (note that is sarcasm)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I would be okay with the idea of doing it like What Not To Wear, only for all things horse. You can pick a little fun, but make it educational. Put something a little positive in each post if you possibly can.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Keeping your inner snark quiet is a required tool "for peace."
    "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds." Mr. G

Don't. The only one who will look bad will be you.

I try to only let my snarkiness come out to play in private conversations with a couple of friends. Would I let it loose in a public forum, especially one like a blog that is only associated with me? No way. How you present yourself online can follow you darn near forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd say just enjoy getting your daily yuks from your Facebook friends. Why do you need/want a wider audience? Sarcasm is a cheap shortcut and gets really tedious when overused. No one is going to buy the pretense that actually, you really want to HELP these hillbillies that you are laughing at. Since this is apparently your first post here, do a search on the word "Craigslist" and you'll find umpteen million examples of people pointing and laughing at horse sales ads. So aside from being tedious, it's not a very original idea.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Thanks for your comments everyone! I think you are right, and I will just keep it to my private facebook when I find a particularly silly ad.

And you're absolutely right that it could easily turn into a "Fugly" situation, I have been known to get on a soapbox from time to time...