The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LOVE my dogs, but...

my mindset has always been that i have pets to ENJOY them, love them, and basically, just BE WITH them.......

however, even after having 2-3 labs in the house over the course of 25 years, i have NEVER had so much dirt in the house as now.........

the anatolian shepherd is the major culprit.........the smooth coat collie is next...................it's not the hair...yes, they shed, but the hair generally falls to the floor,becomes tumbleweeds and is vacuumed/swept up.........
    it is the dirt/dust they bring inside.....not just of feet, but they seem to be a moving dust storm, and EVERYTHING is covered in red dust..............even with wiping off the toilet tank and lid 2X a day, you can still write your name in the dust at almost any time..................

the dogs are in and out............they love to be outside, but do NOT want to be away from people........the anatolian is laying on my feet as i type.........plus ,if outside beyond what they want, they will BARK.......

anyone have some realistic, do-able solutions to the dirt problem?....they are both terrified of the vacuum....i got one of those dog brush attachments, but it is a no-go...........i am at my wit's end.........honestly, if you leave a basket of clean laundry sitting out for a day, the top piece of clothing will be dirty on the surface...............
    aaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.........

Ha - you belong to a very large club on COTH I'm sure! We seem to love being a slave to our animals.

I have two white bull terriers, so you would think not much of a problem. Those little white hairs get everywhere and weave in and out of carpets, etc.
    I am just a meanie. I have gates at the bottom of the stairs, between the kitchen and living room and kitchen and tv room. They only stay on the hard surfaces, with their beds.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I close as many doors as possible in my house for both energy reasons and to keep the animals out. The main living area of my house isn't very clean, but it seems to do the trick for the rest of the house.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Someone needs to modify those automatic car wash designs to work as a vacuum-type thing on pet doors. Doggie wants in, he gets hoovered-off on his way through the door.

I know, not very helpful! (But if anyone has friends/family with mad engineering skills, this could be lucrative)! Calling Mr. Dyson. . .

Of course it'd have to be available in varying speeds/force size-appropriate. Woe betide the Pomeranian attempting to pass through the door set to "Sheltie".

2 members found this post helpful.

We keep the animals out of the bedrooms/upstairs but they have the run of the kitchen and livingroom. Small house, 4 inside dogs and 6 cats, kids.

I just clean it every day. Sweep, vacuum, quick damp mop, wipe off the main surfaces. I don't have carpet (never again) and only leather furniture and when I'm done with the floors the place is dust free until another dog shakes. I try really hard not to even watch when one of them shakes when the light is shining across the room so that you can see each and every particle coming off the dogs... I keep them calm in the house too, no running around spazzing out. I have the vacuum plugged in and ready to go in a corner of the downstairs.

I have a Great Pyrenees too and when he comes in for a visit he makes a huge mess. I think those guard dog breeds just shed constantly-I have to vacuum right after he's been in or the house is covered in dust bunnies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Someone needs to modify those automatic car wash designs to work as a vacuum-type thing on pet doors. Doggie wants in, he gets hoovered-off on his way through the door.
    This is genius!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I know, not very helpful! (But if anyone has friends/family with mad engineering skills, this could be lucrative)! Calling Mr. Dyson. . .

Of course it'd have to be available in varying speeds/force size-appropriate. Woe betide the Pomeranian attempting to pass through the door set to "Sheltie".
    hahahaha I love this. Someone needs to patent it! And make it affordable...
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Have you looked into the carpet runners designed to clean pet paws? I have not, but see them advertised. Might help a little. I'd love to hear if anyone has tried this type of product!

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...OX%2001&ref=us

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...TN%2001&ref=us

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...L%20023&ref=us
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

it's not so much the paws.........they just carry so much dirt/dust in their coats!!!.........just like the horses get muddy and dirty......except the horses don't come inside,and i cannot realistically curry the dogs every time they are in and out.............and the floors get so dusty, laying on the floor makes them dirty!

BUT, i saw an ad for something today that may help.....a hoover floor mate....................works like a rug doctor, with 2 tanks of water and rotatingscrub brushes...but it'f for non-carpeted areas..................i don't have carpet, just OLD random width and slate..............
    found a commercial one, was excitied, til i saw the PRICE......6000.00!!!!!!!

Best advice I can give you is dog baths. Also, keep your windows closed (just in case you keep them open - I can't believe how much pollen dust I get in the house when I have windows open, very similar to your situation). Anyhow, I bathe my dogs once a week - very easy to do at the barn! It is a super pain in the butt, but the benefit when it came to my cleaner house made it so worth it. Also, they just feel nicer and your house smells better.

Oh, and I have a dyson

eta: oh, and do you have lots of dirt patches in your yard that your dogs lie in? I did when I moved to my current house, and then I made it a priority to cover them with grass. This also made a huge difference.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

What about keeping them clipped? Or in for deshedding treatments at the groomer (or diy at home)? Deshedding can cut down on the coat which carries more dirt.
    Also the more often they're running in and out, there's going to be so much more dirt.
    We also keep our central air off as much as possible. Our bedroom is off limits (Ok... Two sleep in there with us), and the central air just circulates all that dust. How about air filters in the living rooms?
    I know the feeling!

F Fox............YES, there are dirt, now MUD patches in their yard, and i know this contributes tremendously to the dirt......LOL.the other day i actually fund myself wondering about astro turf!!!!
    more realistically, i am considering the aisle runner rubber mats......thin enough that i can move and unroll a 20 foot section by myself.........................i used a section in my dooryard last year to enable my mother to come out under the arbor and get to the swing using her walker,without getting mud all over herself and the walker wheels..............worked pretty well....................can i be sure the dogs will CHOOSE to lay on the mats insead of the dirt?..........no, but with the still chilly air and sometimes warm sunshine, the black rubber warming up should attract them to the rubber mats..........and maybe by the time summer rolls around, the grass will have filled in, or i'll have a better solution...........
    anything that may seem to be a solution to the mud is problematic with the barn cats............using straw, wood chips, gravel, ANYTHING moveable, will be used as a litter box.

Baths. That's really the best solution; even if it's just once a week (and not daily if muddy). But I'd also consider clipping as well. If I let my muddy dogs dry, my house is extremely dusty - we have clay as well, so the "mud" dries to a very fine powdery dust that settles everywhere.

This time of year my dogs are getting rinsed twice a day. Nothing else to do, really. But it's easier than vacuuming twice a day, so I do it.

I have one of those shark steam mops - It's really quick & easy to use
    and the floor dries pretty quickly. Good for all types of flooring (set it
    to a lower heat level for wood floors) and it doesn't use chemicals.

It's great for everyday touch ups, it's easy to use, and it's not too
    expensive. Plus you just throw the mop cover in the wash.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    What about keeping them clipped? Or in for deshedding treatments at the groomer (or diy at home)? Deshedding can cut down on the coat which carries more dirt.
    Also the more often they're running in and out, there's going to be so much more dirt.
    We also keep our central air off as much as possible. Our bedroom is off limits (Ok... Two sleep in there with us), and the central air just circulates all that dust. How about air filters in the living rooms?
    I know the feeling!
    Oh, I loved this post, bits! Off limits, sure, yes, except for those TWO who sleep with you!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

1 members found this post helpful.

This is so funny. Used to breed Labs. Our best friends took one. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Best Friend and my ex spent an afternoon attempting to design this exactly!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My dogs wear blankets when it is cold enough to do so. It does help keep them clean. Yesterday I saw them both rolling in "something" but neither of them got dirty or stinky and their blankets went into the washer.

We are still frozen, but I'm building the dog(s) (I'm currently down to one ) a sacrifice paddock this summer. Really. They have a fenced in run (probably 20 x 20') off the side of the garage and I'm going to expand it and I'm seriously leaning towards pea gravel for the whole thing.

There already is a sidewalk through it, which is nice, because that means the highest traffic area (the door) is cement.

I hate mud.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post
    F Fox............YES, there are dirt, now MUD patches in their yard, and i know this contributes tremendously to the dirt......LOL.the other day i actually fund myself wondering about astro turf!!!!
    more realistically, i am considering the aisle runner rubber mats......thin enough that i can move and unroll a 20 foot section by myself.........................i used a section in my dooryard last year to enable my mother to come out under the arbor and get to the swing using her walker,without getting mud all over herself and the walker wheels..............worked pretty well....................can i be sure the dogs will CHOOSE to lay on the mats insead of the dirt?..........no, but with the still chilly air and sometimes warm sunshine, the black rubber warming up should attract them to the rubber mats..........and maybe by the time summer rolls around, the grass will have filled in, or i'll have a better solution...........
    anything that may seem to be a solution to the mud is problematic with the barn cats............using straw, wood chips, gravel, ANYTHING moveable, will be used as a litter box.
    I think this is a good idea for the mud - try a quarry and see if they have any belts they would give you. You'd have to pick them up though to grow grass in the spring. To get the grass started, seriously think about buying some sod if the spots aren't too big and at least breaking it up into chunks to fill the sections in. I'd also look into the biodegradable netting stuff that you can put down which holds a growth substrate and the seed in place long enough for it to establish. We ended up mulching the big clay patch that is closest to the high traffic deck stairs and then in the mulch (pine straw) we put down pavers where the most concentrated path would be. Then, we put plugs of grass in all of the patches and kept them watered and fertilized. Within one growing season we had almost solved the problem.

Eliminating the dirt patches, doing weekly baths, and rinsing mud as another poster suggested are probably your best options. Also, maybe consider limiting the time they are outside, or if you leave them outside for a long time give them a more desirable place to lay. I don't often leave my dogs out for more than just a 15 minute break, but they do have access to our deck which is where they prefer to lay - it gives a better view of any intruder squirrels!
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Oh, I loved this post, bits! Off limits, sure, yes, except for those TWO who sleep with you!
    I know, horrible! :-D well, the little one doesn't shed, and sleeps in a pop up crate, and we just moved our oldest dog into the bedroom at night because she isn't doing very well... But that room IS off limits during the day.... Lol!