The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farriers in WA State

Newbie here. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good farrier in WA state? Just looking for trims. My horse will be in the Renton/Issaquah area.

Are you looking for a trimmer? Or a farrier? Are you in a barn with other horses, or horse at home?

I know an excellent farrier in the Renton and South King County area who also does trims. But I don't think he would pop by to trim one horse.

I just need someone who is knowledgable when it comes to trimming correctly. My horse is boarded and it would only be for one horse.

Hands down. Jerry Hollaway. He is AWESOME. I have had several farriers since then (because I've moved) and he has been the best. Even years later I've contacted him about questions and he has no issues answering or helping me out. I wish I never had to move! His number is 253-302-9876

I tried searching Jerry Hollaway and he's not listed anywhere. Does anyone know Wally Johnson? I'm looking at the AFA certified farrier listings right now...

He may not be listed with the AFA, but I still stand by my recommendation

Just because they aren't listed on AFA's site doesn't mean anything. I know farriers on that site I wouldn't let touch my horse with a 10 foot pole. Some farriers don't like the politics and feel like their certification process is a joke so won't join.

I would take a recommendation from a knowledgable person first before I went to that site.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

1 members found this post helpful.

The AFA does not require membership in order to take their certification exams.

The only farriers listed on the AFA web site are the ones who are current in their membership dues.

If you want to verify a farrier's certification you can call the AFA office.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Just because they aren't listed on AFA's site doesn't mean anything. I know farriers on that site I wouldn't let touch my horse with a 10 foot pole. Some farriers don't like the politics and feel like their certification process is a joke so won't join.
    Considering the 80% failure rate for first time testing candidates, I would say that the joke is mostly sour grapes from those who have tried to pass the exams and failed and then made excuses about why they gave up on the process.

I would take a recommendation from a knowledgable person first before I went to that site.
    What is the basis of this presumption of knowledge? What are YOUR qualifications to judge whether or not a farrier is knowledgeable or competent?

The AFA certification exams involve a series of objectively quantified tests that involve written examinations, fabrication demonstrations, and live trimming and shoeing to a strict arbitrary standard.

I don't like the AFA politics either, but I have no problem with their certification process. I earned my AFA certification and my problem with the AFA is that they do not promote the value of their certification to horse owners.

I do however have a problem with folks who haven't passed the very basic, entry level, minimum competence, AFA exams pontificating about "knowledge."

Bottom line, do you want somebody working on your horse that can't pass a basic elementary exam designed for entry level farriers with only ONE YEAR of experience? How low do you set the bar?

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I agree fully with what Tom said. To paraphrase, "Them that can, do. Them that can't whine and complain about the process and what it means."

Anymore suggestions for a good farrier?