The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "I haven't read all the replies"

Why do people start their posts this way?

1 members found this post helpful.

Because they are the same people who, when you are talking to them, have THAT look on their face where you can tell that they're just waiting for you to finish so that they can jump in with their own story...

13 members found this post helpful.

Because they might be duplicating something already stated, or missing details the OP added later, but don't have time to read everything at the moment? I always try to read an entire thread before responding, but sometimes you only have a few minutes to spend on the forum and the thread is already 10 pages long...

16 members found this post helpful.

Or they're maybe people who don't have time to read through all the posts but hope that whatever they have to add might be helpful to the OP, so they go ahead and submit their post before they forget what they want to say. (Some of us just don't have the memory that we used to.) I've typed it at least a couple of times and it has been more or less meant as an unspoken apology for possibly being repetitive if I haven't had the opportunity to get through all the posts.

ETA: Oops, I was typing as furlong posted. What they said!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I always try to read an entire thread before responding, but sometimes you only have a few minutes to spend on the forum and the thread is already 10 pages long...
    I agree with furlong47. I can't come here every day, and sometimes see an interesting discussion I'd like to join but can't possibly read 10 pages, so it's a way of letting people know that, in case they said something similar, that you're not pretending they didn't already cover it, you just didn't see it.

Sometimes I've seen people answer one of those posts with, "Poster X already gave a link back on p. 5," and that's helpful.

If the "I haven't read all the replies post" is on p. 1 or even 2 of a thread, then yeah, I think it's a little rude.

2 members found this post helpful.

Also, reading all the replies can subconsciously bias one's offerings.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

True, it makes a difference if it's a really long thread, or a very contentious one, as opposed to an informative one. But I also tend to read the entire thread no matter what, or at least try to.

IME, it's teenage "begging to make something of myself in the equestrian world even though I have never jumped higher than 2'6"" posters who say that. It's kind of LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Oh, sorry, did someone already say that? I haven't read all the replies.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Or, it's someone on a cell phone who just discovered, say, the neck threadworms thread......
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

sometimes the replies are lengthy and time short.
    So by mentioning that you may have missed something in the thread you may (probably not) get some slack from the other participants.

And that can happen on page 1, too. like I said, sometimes you look at a wall of text. The cliff notes usually don't appear until page 14 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'll do that a lot, moreso on other forums where the topics are more subjective than informative, and usually it's so that i don't influence my reaction/response but at the same time account for why I might be repeating someone else's words at times.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

My pet peeve is when people call a thread a trainwreck after only a few posts, and then all the following posts are jokes about popcorn, houseguests etc, essentially killing any chance of the thread turning into a true and delicious wreck. Let it breathe and live and THEN make fun of it!! lol

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    My pet peeve is when people call a thread a trainwreck after only a few posts, and then all the following posts are jokes about popcorn, houseguests etc, essentially killing any chance of the thread turning into a true and delicious wreck. Let it breathe and live and THEN make fun of it!! lol
    LOL

I am sorry, and I know I have been guilty of that, but some threads are wrecks the moment the 'send' button is hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

"I haven't read all the replies" implies why should I read all those wrong answers to the question the OP posed?

This is sort of like a multiple choice test, you skip the wrong answers

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL

I am sorry, and I know I have been guilty of that, but some threads are wrecks the moment the 'send' button is hit.
    just have "Parelli" in the thread's title, that's all that is needed

I'd rather see that than a reply that states almost the exact same thing as I said, like four posts back. It feels like you're being ignored!

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    just have "Parelli" in the thread's title, that's all that is needed
    Or barefoot versus shoes. Then Let the fun begin!

At least it is not as rude as this from a post in the h/j forum

i don't have time or interest to read all these posts...
    If someone doesn't have time or interest in what others have to say, why should others take the time or interest to find out what they have to say?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Ill often post that, especially if Im reading a thread and it gets skewed off into another direction. I won't finish reading the thread, but Ill post to what the original post was about.