The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am pretty sure, after looking it up in multiple places, that the dose is 6.6mg/kg THREE TIMES DAILY. Which would be 12 pills 3x daily for a 1200 pound horse. Maybe someone with an actual veterinary pharmacology book could confirm?
    Click here before you buy.

Yes, what I've seen on med websites is THREE daily doses of the 3.3 grams for an average size horse (1000 or 1200 lbs, cannot recall).

OP, the easiest way to figure out who is cheaper is to figure the price/milligram of ranitidine. Just thinking in terms of pills/bottle for a price is hard to get down to the actual cost.

Just figure how many milligrams/bottle and how much that bottle costs.

For example, a 250 count bottle of 300 mg tabs gives you 75,000 milligrams of ranitidine.

Take your price for that bottle, and divide by 75,000 milligrams. That will be your price/milligram.

Even though its more pills to be fed with smaller milligram tablets, this may be the cheaper route to go.

3.3 grams = 3300 milligrams
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Maybe unintentional massive underdosing is why horses fail to respond to this therapy? Absorption of ranitidine in herbivores is really poor from what I've been reading.
    Click here before you buy.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

On days I work I won't be able to feed three times a day, but twice. The other days I can feed three times.

Costco is cheaper then most places, but the Drfostersmith website is still the best price at $20 for 259 300mg pills. (if there isn't a catch or shipping fees which there probably is.)

I am going to Costco tonight.

Thank you for all the discussion!

I also bought Equishure which is a hind gut conditioner just in case.

He doesn't get gassy,but the only thing I worry about is when he was 11 months old he had colic surgery

It wasn't his intestines, his colon actually flipped over his spleen. They fixed that fine and there was no damage, but they cut open his colon to empty it. They didn't need to do that and now I worry about issues from that.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I think that Costco is cheaper than Drs. Foster and Smith as I paid $35 for 693 300-mg pills. But be warned that to get the larger-dose pills from Costco that you need to have a prescription. You can buy smaller ones without a prescription, but you'd obviously have to use more. I don't know how the price compares.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I get my ranitidine from Cosco. And I do 3000 mg 3x day.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I get my ranitidine from Cosco. And I do 3000 mg 3x day.
    3000mg or 300mg? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    3000mg or 300mg? thanks
    3000 mg (or 3 grams)

If it was 300 mg, that would be only 1 pill 3x daily. If only that would work!

Original Poster

I just got the 150 mg pills from Costco. They were 8.50 for 95 pills.

So now I need to do the math!

My dad is a human doctor. Can he call in the prescription for the higher dose for me, since I am assuming they don't take vet prescriptions at Costco?

The 300 mg pills sound much more cost effective, especially if there is 693 in a bottle.

Original Poster

So let's see, 20 pills 3 times daily of the 150 mg. that's 60 pills a day. Total of 9000 mg a day. Is that correct?

So the 6 bottles I got will last me 9.5 days. So that's about $80 a month to treat him.

If I did gastrogard for a month it would cost me over $850!

So cross your fingers this works then I can have him on a maintenance dose.

Now if I can get the prescription 200 mg pills from Costco I can get 23 days worth for $35!

They do take vet prescriptions at Costco, at least here in CA. Not sure about the rules for human doctors calling in prescriptions for horses.

It was several bottles for all those pills!

We weren't exactly religious about the 8 hours between dosings. On a typical day, Star would get the first one between 7 and 8-ish AM, then noon-ish, and then anywhere from 6-8 pm. I'm trying to remember if your horses are at home? If they are then maybe you could do before work, after work, and before bedtime during the week.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Original Poster

My horses are at home.

I am going to try and do 3 times a day.

I will probably have to put it in a syringe with a little syrup for him to eat it.

He is very picky about new food.

I mixed it up with applesauce and put it in a 60-cc syringe. Except when the applesauce turned into something that Ian Fleming (not the James Bond one) would have been proud of and we used just water. This was messier.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    So let's see, 20 pills 3 times daily of the 150 mg. that's 60 pills a day. Total of 9000 mg a day. Is that correct?
    Yes

So the 6 bottles I got will last me 9.5 days. So that's about $80 a month to treat him.
    That's about what I spend buying it from my vet, and they're 300 mg pills.

Now if I can get the prescription 200 mg pills from Costco I can get 23 days worth for $35!
    That would be a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post

I will probably have to put it in a syringe with a little syrup for him to eat it.

He is very picky about new food.
    I am able to just grind my pills, and stir the powder into my mare's alfalfa mash and she eats it. Its enough volume of mash that the powder is a small amount, and she doesn't seem to blink at eating it with the ranitidine powder in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    3000mg or 300mg? thanks
    3000 mg - or 20 150mg pills.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I am able to just grind my pills, and stir the powder into my mare's alfalfa mash and she eats it. Its enough volume of mash that the powder is a small amount, and she doesn't seem to blink at eating it with the ranitidine powder in there.
    How quickly does she eat the mash? The vet at the hospital said that the ranitidine needed to be given so that the horse consumed the entire dose in not too many minutes. Maybe 10 minutes?
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    How quickly does she eat the mash? The vet at the hospital said that the ranitidine needed to be given so that the horse consumed the entire dose in not too many minutes. Maybe 10 minutes?
    Within 10 minutes, but since then, I've been able to toss in whole pills and she eats those in the mash, so no concern about crushing and then it taking longer than 10 minutes to eat

Curious...what was the reason your vet gave for the requirement of quick consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Within 10 minutes, but since then, I've been able to toss in whole pills and she eats those in the mash, so no concern about crushing and then it taking longer than 10 minutes to eat

Curious...what was the reason your vet gave for the requirement of quick consumption?
    It had something to do with it being more effective if the whole dose was given at once, which I realize doesn't really answer your question.
    The Evil Chem Prof

OP,

My mare has been on EquiShure for a couple of years. She was a chronic colicer. She had a history of ulcers, too. So far, so good. KER makes good products, though sometimes pricey. I get mine through KBC in Lexington, KY. Sometimes, they have better prices.

I believe that Vineyridge found EquiShure at Hagyard's Pharmacy for the cheapest price.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!