The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Supplemental income jobs? Just one night/week?

What do you guys do to supplement your full-time job income? I'm looking for ideas, thinking something like 4-5 hours/week as I work full-time M-F. Bring it on!

Not any more but delivering papers on a motor route was fun, easy and good money when my kids were little; I delivered the papers before DH went to work. Might have to go back to it! I had a hand delivery route now and then and it was good exercise though a little creepy since it was dark and the witching hour. Loved the motor route.

Of course there's cleaning or kid watching but you earn every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Not any more but delivering papers on a motor route was fun, easy and good money when my kids were little; I delivered the papers before DH went to work. Might have to go back to it! I had a hand delivery route now and then and it was good exercise though a little creepy since it was dark and the witching hour. Loved the motor route.

Of course there's cleaning or kid watching but you earn every penny.
    I don't know about your area, but at least in mine, paper delivery routes are 7 day/week jobs.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I subbed for the regular driver so he could have weekends and the occasional weekday off.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a reserve for a small town with only one FT officer. Hardly counts since you need the training, buuuuuuuut...if you were interested in being a reserve officer, you can often get paid work in small towns once you have enough experience.

Have you considered military reserves? One weekend a month, two weeks a year?

Any crafts or skills you can sell?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

What is your FT job? Can you find more of that in evenings?

Teach a class-many local small colleges/schools want people they do nt have to pay bennies to

Open a business

Clean ofices
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    What do you guys do to supplement your full-time job income? I'm looking for ideas, thinking something like 4-5 hours/week as I work full-time M-F. Bring it on!
    Work for yourself in your own home. Spend 4-5 hours/week making a weekly and monthly meal plan, then spend a few hours preparing and freezing foods for all your busy 9-5 weeks. You will save as much on take out/eating out as you would making money at another job.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

5 members found this post helpful.

Have to agree with that one too-I'm in the process of squeezing in the income.

Pinch pennies on the grocery budget and open up the same amount of time to plant a pot a lettuce and make your own loaf of good bread and you might be surprised.

Answers!

TheJenners - never thought about reserves. However, I do have medical and age issues that keep me out of the military. Don't know if those also apply to the reserves. Crafts or skills..........really, not much. Book keeping is pretty much it.

JohnDeere- full-time is book keeping for a business. I'm gone 7:30-4:30. Right now, I'm trying to sell my house and buy a new one (DOWNSIZE, BIG TIME), so I can't open a business at this time. For cleaning offices - do they hire someone that wants to work just one day/night a week?

Saultgirl - beat ya to it! I never eat out, and do spend Sunday preparing for my weekly meals! I eat very simply and cheaply already, so I'm lucky in that regard! I just want to earn a couple hundred extra bucks a month to put into savings because my budget is sooooooo tight!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    Answers!

JohnDeere- full-time is book keeping for a business. I'm gone 7:30-4:30. Right now, I'm trying to sell my house and buy a new one (DOWNSIZE, BIG TIME), so I can't open a business at this time. For cleaning offices - do they hire someone that wants to work just one day/night a week?
    Mom did book keeping for 20+ years at night, cant that work for you? Need a table & a filing cabanet, bring a pencil from work & your set.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

What about finding a job doing stalls or something on the weekends? Not very glam, but horsey interaction!

Or maybe dog walking/house sitting...both are GREAT money!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

House/farm sitting is my 'side job' -- good money and as long as you weed out the crazies (easy enough) you don't have to compromise on your full time job
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

around here there are some weekend paper routes.

Craig's list usually has them listed.

I have been thinking about doing pizza or sandwich deliveries in urban areas: less gas used & more deliveries/unit of time. You def. make decent $ in tips.

If you are in an area where thre are hotels, you might want to check what they have to offer. Hotels are staffed 24/7/365. I had a second job on weekends in a hotel being a restaurant cashier. And in my very distant past, I worked in hotels as a gift shop cashier, a switchboard operator (like Ernestine!) and a waitress.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I live in a rural area, so dog-walking isn't needed. I have thought about pet-sitting, and in fact, clipped a CL ad for that. I have thought about getting another book keeping client, but am kind of afraid to commit because of my time limitations. The client I have now I do on the weekends, which works. No hotels anywhere near here, but good idea!

I teach group fitness classes. Takes some investment but I get $20-50 an hour on average, sometimes more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I'm a reserve for a small town with only one FT officer. Hardly counts since you need the training, buuuuuuuut...if you were interested in being a reserve officer, you can often get paid work in small towns once you have enough experience.

Have you considered military reserves? One weekend a month, two weeks a year?

Any crafts or skills you can sell?
    Until you're sent to Afghanistan...then it's full time.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

I think there is an age restriction on joining the reserves, also medical restrictions.

Things I've done:

Pet food rep--spend about 4 hours 1 day on the weekend at local pet stores handing out info about food.

Tutoring: I take on as few or as many students as I wish. Pays well.

Home health/hospice/respite care: I used to work overnights. Got to be too much for me to do it during the week all night then work full time days. But when I was just working Friday/Saturday, it was nice.

CL ETC ads: I've picked up several one time only jobs via CL. Things like helping people unload a moving van, raking leaves, cleaning out a basement, etc. Cash and usually no more than 4 hours at a time.

Babysitting: Some parents really do prefer a more mature babysitter and enjoy having kind of a set night each week (even on weekdays) to be able to have some child free time. Just look at all the people who post about that here! You could contact local boarding/training barns and see if you can put up a flier. Offer "babysitting so you can ride!"
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Babysitting: Some parents really do prefer a more mature babysitter and enjoy having kind of a set night each week (even on weekdays) to be able to have some child free time. Just look at all the people who post about that here! You could contact local boarding/training barns and see if you can put up a flier. Offer "babysitting so you can ride!"
    Think that's a GREAT way to go about it... you understand their "needs" to ride
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!