The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    "Good to know!" says I, while munching on carrot sticks and roasted garlic hummus.
    I thought hummus wasn't paleo?

Not really going Paleo, just wheat-free for 40 days. Baby steps
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Today's meals:
    Breakfast: "hash" of nitrate free organic sausage, bell peppers and onions topped with avacado slices and fresh salsa
    Snack: Clementine
    Lunch: Salad- mixed greens and baby spinach, grilled chicken and mushrooms (no dressing as I find any and all salad dressing pretty gross)
    Snack: celery and carrot sticks
    Dinner: Steamed piece of wild caught salmon, roasted asparagus and broccoli, 1/2 baked sweet potato.
    Desert: Sliced Kiwi

Also should add that I walk or do the elliptical in the AM and ride in the evening
    I eat like this every day, save one gluten-free, organic, tapioca based english muffin in the mornings. I think I even eat a more restricted diet than paleo because of all of my allergies...and while I feel better than I did, I don't feel better *enough* for me to sing it's praises the way you guys are. I am very, very jealous! I also haven't lost an ounce. I know some of that is medical, but I wish I had the success you guys are finding!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

And yet, there are the Okinawans, longest lived (while maintining their health) of all. While they do eat on average 7 servings of vegetables per day, they eat an equal number of carbohydrates in the form of rice, noodles, and bread.

2 members found this post helpful.

Chiming in here again, I think the problem Brook, is that we lead a far less active lifestyle than we did 50 years ago, And I can believe that the japanese do not sit on lap tops or iphones as much either.
    I am not eating wheat, Feel about the same, The biggest problem with me, is I need to get back to the gym, I was on my way this am when a car flipped right in front of me, BLACK ICE.. She was fine, and after I creeped my car to a corner, I went home. Scary, Think I lost a lb from shaking.
    Cant wait for spring, I can get out and walk.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Those on paleo and depending on beef are in for a surprise.
    If this drought continues and it seems to be doing just that, beef is going to become a luxury meat, way too expensive for more than the occasional treat.
    Beef numbers are at a 60 year low in the USA and we can only import so much at a reasonable price.

There is still chicken and pork and fish, although fish is getting more expensive also as more people try to eat more of it.

As of now, the time of relatively cheap beef seems to be coming to an end, at least for the foreseeable future.

Those that want to raise beef and have the means to do so will have a good opportunity to feel good about how smart they are, as beef raising for them, in this shortage, will be profitable.
    It will be years before the drought eases and pastures are back up to par to try to expand herds, the going is good for those with the means.

For consumers, well, the shortage is going to be felt in our pockets and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Those on paleo and depending on beef are in for a surprise.
    If this drought continues and it seems to be doing just that, beef is going to become a luxury meat, way too expensive for more than the occasional treat.
    Beef numbers are at a 60 year low in the USA and we can only import so much at a reasonable price.

There is still chicken and pork and fish, although fish is getting more expensive also as more people try to eat more of it.

As of now, the time of relatively cheap beef seems to be coming to an end, at least for the foreseeable future.

Those that want to raise beef and have the means to do so will have a good opportunity to feel good about how smart they are, as beef raising for them, in this shortage, will be profitable.
    It will be years before the drought eases and pastures are back up to par to try to expand herds, the going is good for those with the means.

For consumers, well, the shortage is going to be felt in our pockets and soon.
    there is still Bambie ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    there is still Bambie ^_^
    Feral pigs also, there is no shortage of those.

2 members found this post helpful.

nuisance geese all over the place, too.

Turkey is supposedly one of the better meats, apparently it's amino acid profiles or something more closely resemble wild game.
    I don't think most paleo people depend on beef? particularly the grain-fed feedlot beef that are rumored to soon be in short supply. The grass-fed beef market in my area is doing just fine, unaffected by droughts.

4 members found this post helpful.

Luckily we've gotten an awful lot of rain here lately, they've downgraded our drought some. It is going to be difficult nation-wide though
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    nuisance geese all over the place, too.

Turkey is supposedly one of the better meats, apparently it's amino acid profiles or something more closely resemble wild game.
    I don't think most paleo people depend on beef? particularly the grain-fed feedlot beef that are rumored to soon be in short supply. The grass-fed beef market in my area is doing just fine, unaffected by droughts.

No, primitive people didn't have beefsteak as we do today, they also lived if lucky 35 years as an average and regularly starved to death when food on the hoof/wing/fin ran low.

The reason grass fed beef is doing well is because of the price today is so much higher by 1/2 to 2/3 of what it was a few years ago.
    Anyone can "make it" when prices are that high.

And no, in the drought, even grass fed won't work, when there is NO grass to eat out there.
    As I said before, if someone is where they have grass or crops, where there is not a severe, record breaking drought ongoing, of course, they are doing very good, because, duh, there is not enough beef right now out there and beef prices are the highest they have ever been and going higher.

There is an Ace Reid cartoon out there that is reflecting the current situation for many that raise cattle.
    Jake the skinny cowboy is talking to his banker Tufernhell, leaning on the loading chute, as the last truck pulls out:

"It's kinda' depressing to drought out of the cow business just as prices get high enough to make a livin' at it!"

I've lived for 36 years thinking "low fat, count your calories, weight loss is as easy as calories in versus calories out" is the way to go. I've been overweight and obese since age 5, and have always had a vicious sweet tooth. I started counting calories and logging exercise at age 8 under a dietitian's supervision and direction. Fat was the enemy.

After this topic came up on the last OT day, I switched to eating full fat proteins. Guess what? Craving for sweets is GONE. Now I pretty much eat fatty meats, dark green veggies, eggs, and whole dairy. I don't feel hungry all the time like I used to. Weight is so far about the same, but the constant cravings that used to lead to carb binges are gone.

On the topic of drought, I live in one of the top beef producing states, and we are staring down another year of low moisture. For the sake of the animals we eat, the animals we love, and the money in our pockets, I really hope it turns around.

4 members found this post helpful.

Great thread! I must recommend the paleo cookbook Well Fed. I've had it about a month and the thing is in tatters from so much use. Great tips for getting meals done quickly too.

Also, I save lots of time in the grocery store now ... don't even bother with all those aisles of boxes in the middle, just shop around the edges and out I go with all kinds of good whole foods.

For me it is one of the more simple diets I've attempted because it just naturally makes sense to me. My degree is in anthro though, so I've always been a little obsessed with cavemen.

For whomever asked, I do thrive on the 80%/20% rule of thumb, which accepts that you typically can't be all paleo all the time, but hopefully you can aim for proper eating 80% of the time. My "20%" foods include cheese & booze

Had a stupid pizza last saturday and honest to god thought I was going to die the next day. Felt like I head a lead balloon in my tummy. Won't be making that mistake again... which does make me a little sad because yes, pizza is divinely yummy, but it hates me.

Oh, and Alagirl, coconut oil is da bomb. Seriously, I use it in all my sautes now. Works great over high heat. Also quite the fan of coconut milk too (see the "creamed kale" recipe in Well Fed, who would of thought kale could be so yum!?)
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    My co-workers started referring to it as my "trough"

"oh look at that, haha, you have a whole trough of rabbit food, haha!!" (usually while holding a tray of horrible cafeteria pasta, plus multiple slices of garlic bread, and a giant soda, balanced precariously atop a noticeable spare tire...)
    At my office, we call those "all day salads." Because they take all day to eat.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And yet, there are the Okinawans, longest lived (while maintining their health) of all. While they do eat on average 7 servings of vegetables per day, they eat an equal number of carbohydrates in the form of rice, noodles, and bread.
    Yes, the Japanese eat a lot of rice. When they ate nothing but polished white rice, they died like flies of beriberi. The fish they eat is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids, a very GOOD thing. The vegetables are mostly a neutral, as none of us can digest cellulose like our horses can. About 80% indigestible material, in fact. This high-carb diet also is a factor, along with smoking and especially high alcohol use, in the very high incidence of stomach cancer in Japanese men.

Now; you will find that in ANY of the cherry-picked "high-longevity" tribes around the planet, ANY of them--their use of SUGAR is almost historically non-existent. It is the particular combination of REFINED FLOUR and SUGAR that is thought to be responsible for the lion's share of obesity and the Western industrialized diseases.

The bottom line to the Okinawan diet, the Inuit diet, the Aboriginal diet, the Mediterranen diet, ad nauseum, is that you can eat ANY food in moderation AS LONG AS you DON'T eat refined flour and sugar and you will eliminate an enormous percentage of problems.

Simply put, our bodies need certain building blocks we get from foods as they are found in nature--meat, fish, vegetables, maybe a few limited fruits occasionally. The rest is pure dreck and we did not evolve to be able to process this stuff long-term without it throwing some pretty mighty imbalances.

Kind of like why you don't let your pony live in the grain room!

You have to get a whole lot of new friends -- I could never invite someone over for dinner if they said they were on this diet.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You have to get a whole lot of new friends -- I could never invite someone over for dinner if they said they were on this diet.
    Yeah you could! Some good steaks on the grill, roasted asparagus, and a sweet potato? Who could turn that down ;-)
    Or maybe a hunk of salmon on the grill instead with a chili lime rub.......
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    It's really not that hard. And I certainly wouldn't expect my friends to do anything special because I'm coming over for dinner! When I was doing it I went to lots of things that revolved around food (mostly cakes and treats, too!) and never had a problem. I would bring something that was yummy that I felt good about (like bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese and nuts) and as long as there was some meat and veggies, it was fine.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

so foxtrot's you eat nothing but flour and sugar? LOL It's not that complicated....

....well, my husband fishes for salmon and steelhead... and the chili lime rub sounds good! C'mon over.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique