The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    One of humanity's most perfect foods seemed to have been Pemmican, made of only meat and fat the way the Native Americans did. Apparently you can live on nothing else in perfect health for eons! And they did!

The best books: Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes; Wheat Belly has been already mentioned; Natural Health and Weight Loss and Trick and Treat by Barry Groves; and
    Primal Body/Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas.

See also (don't MISS!) www.westonaprice.org
    www.garytaubes.com

For high-performance athletes, google Dr. Peter Attia, an ultra-marathoner who has partnered now with Taubes in the Nutrition Science Institute. His blog about the performance aspects of low-carbing is quite remarkable. The evidence grows that this is the way humans were supposed to eat. (Sorry, vegans!)
    LOL, I don't think pemican was all they ate....
    It is said that the Aztecs, or Mayans or Incas condemmed people to incarceration by water and meat...slowly starving them to death...where as bread kept them alive much longer...but it has been a while since I read it, could not put my finger on it where....

but yeah...meat...^_^

Had the discussion with a few people the other day...the theme went something like 'omg, I am vegetarian now, trying for Vegan, I feel so much better, you all should try it'
    of course, silly me had to chime in....eh, hello, you know, not everybody is made for that....sooooooooooooooooo......

I made a deeeeeelicious Paleo stir fry tonight: chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, snap peas, cooked in coconut oil (that I bought to use in my hair!), seasoned with salt and pepper. Added some garlic in at the last minute, and whoa nelly, it was AWESOME.

But, this isn't going to be easy. I already want a glass of wine or beer, and I can't have it. I'm trying to drown myself in water (I need to drink more anyway) but I want something eeeeeeeeeeelse. It's going to be a tough 2 weeks breaking my carb and sugar addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I agree with whoever said some sanity has to come into things as we aren't truly living as hunter gatherers but I do agree with the principals of eating the no grain diet in particular. While I feel that a few bites of dairy or beans now and then won't likely mess you up too much, I challenge any naysayer to go wheat free for a month. THEN try eating it again. Odds are good it will make you sick or feel awful. That's your body trying to digest that stuff and once you heal up inside, it hurts as it tears you up all over again. Even my husband who never had any obvious issues with wheat has noticed it. He broke down and had pizza one day at work and paid for it all night.

I've been doing Paleo for nearly two years now and my teeth haven't fallen out and I'm healthier than when I was 25..the same weight as I was at that age also...I'l be 50 this year...so I think it's working fine. You do not NEED grains...There is nothing in grains that you can't get from other foods with way less sugar and carbs not to mention the other nasty stuff in it.

Those who say wheat is not causing them problems simply don't realize the damage and inflammation wheat causes in your gut..nasty stuff like leaky gut and all that builds and intensifies as you get older. The Wheat Belly book is cool because the author points out accurately that the "new" dwarf wheats aggressively hybridized with techniques like radiation and chemical baths is not the same wheat of earlier times. It literally has new gluten proteins never before consumed by human beings and is much more potent than earlier varieties. It also has a gliandin protein that affects your brain to make you more hungry...it is similar to an opiate in it's action....so it's addictive, appetite stimulating and has a higher glycemic index than sugar and don't think for a minute that our gov't and food companies don't KNOW that. It's no coincidence that wheat is added to nearly everything processed these days. (tin foil hat in place!) They want you hungry and eating more. It's no wonder so many people are fat and sick and so many people are now reacting to gluten. What used to be a rare affliction is now becoming very common. People aren't making this up. It's for real.

Someone asked how and what we eat. I don't have a lot of time to cook but I try hard. I also raise and grow a lot of my own veggies and food animals. I eat a lot of eggs as we have about 100 hens out there. I end up eating the little ones too small to sell.

A typical day for me for me is a breakfast of eggs, bacon or sausage..sometimes I'll make something with almond flour like cinnamon buns and eat that. I often have fresh fruit or something I canned like peaches. Maybe a Boars Head hot dog for some meat. That brand is gluten and sugar free. I also don't get all knotted up over nitrates but I do intend to have our own pigs processed with out it. They go to be processed in 2 weeks. I also have made some delicious almond flour pancakes..nom nom...but that is a treat as we use maple syrup and that is a lot of sugar. I still have coffee and use local honey as my sweetener.

Lunch, when I'm home I try to have a nice big salad or warm up leftovers from dinner. On the road doing my farrier thing, I'll eat almonds, fruit and sometimes even potato chips..I know that is "bad" but I work hard enough to burn off the carbs when I'm working under horses..believe me... When I backpack, I'll also consume potatoes and rice for the high carbs in my dehydrated food as you simply have to have it to keep up that level of intense activity.

Now and then for a treat, I'll make some rice at home too but that's a once every other month thing...not a staple of my diet...but it doesn't bother me and I burn it off. My weight has been stable for 2 years now.

Dinner we eat a lot of grass fed beef (ours)...roasts, steaks, ground beef. I've made salisbury steak and meatloaf...and sometimes just burgers without bread. We eat chicken (ours) also...many ways to prepare it from almond flour chicken fingers to whole roasters. We eat a lot of local pork...roasts, chops, etc... and I have some lamb in the freezer and have a recipe for paleo shepherd's pie using cauliflower for potatoes that is to DIE for. It's in the book Paleo Comfort Foods which is a good practical cookbook.

Veggies can be fresh from our garden in season, frozen from my garden, and we do buy a few things that we don't have. We have a ton of our own sweet potatoes and some regular potatoes also. I'm try hard to fill in the blanks and raise much of what we need and I intend to get a pressure canner this year and have our own canned food which is very easy to just pull out and use.

I have a winter garden that was doing great until our last bad cold snap and snow but my chard is coming back and much of my lettuce survived. I was out digging parsnips from my garden for our Christmas dinner. I have overwintering beets, onions, carrots and parsnips out there too.

I honestly don't think I've ever eaten as good of food in my life since we started raising our own and focusing on the Paleo food/diet. Lately, I have tried to eat "normal" stuff a few times and I can barely choke it down. I got some gluten free mac and cheese one night just for the sin and novelty of it and it was awful. I almost couldn't eat it. Gluten free bread also tastes horrible to me....nasty dry stuff.

I'm convinced after the last two years that what we LIKE is more a habit than true TASTE. We get used to eating certain things but you do adjust and learn to like other stuff better. Like my aversion now to any grain products. Ick...tastes awful but I used to sit and munch down on it all day if I could.
    I had to quote this because it is spot on!
    No tin foil hat needed. The GMO wheat, is nothing like what was found thousands of years ago, when man was growing and harvesting grain.
    The other thing that is so scary is the Processing, If one would just stay away from anything boxed or frozen, other than veggies, You do feel better.
    Just because our brains have evolved our bodies think we ar still out hunting a wild deer or something. Our bodies are still back in the cave man era, and they do not know how to process all this bad artificial stuff. Read the book,
    Thinner next year. very scientific and very eye opening as well.
    Last edited by Sannois; Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

That paper has the reputation of being....well, not trust worthy.
    The natives call it 'Daily Fail'

so while I am far from claiming McDonald's as health food (even the salad options) THAT story I don't buy!
    Actually, it is true. Remember that Chef, Jamie Oliver who tried to go into american schools to get Macs and all the processed foods out of kids meals?
    He had an official report of several scientists who ran the Macdonalds experiment and the food lasts forever. Ever find a french fry under the seat in a car? that you know has been there for 6 months to a year? Looks the same as it did when first purchased!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've pointed out to the kids many times how the cheap white bread does not age. Months, seriously months go by and it looks the same. on the kitchen counter, forgotten in a basket or something. I will buy it sometimes if I'm doing bread pudding or french toast in a hurry but mostly we don't have it...

Lots of manufactured food doesn't age or anything, ick. Totally seen the french fry or half a burger in the car that the dogs couldn't get and it looks the same. That ain't right. We only eat fast food when we're traveling and it's been five years since that... never go to any fast food chains now.

1 members found this post helpful.

I happened upon an interesting article on how widespread gluten sensitivity is and it hits upon the idea that gluten affects everyone in digestion but it's the immune system that determines if you are going to get sick from it. It also suggests as I did, that gluten/wheat can be causing inflammation in everyone who eats it to some degree and why after you give it up, reintroducing it can make you sick. Quite an interesting article:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-c...#axzz2LGT4ZM5X

An excerpt:
    "Of course, when you consider that everyone – regardless of genetic proclivity toward autoimmunity – releases zonulin, the regulator of intestinal permeability, when our intestinal lining is exposed to gliadin (a component of gluten), a universal response to gluten looks likelier. Sure, we all know plenty of people who can eat a sandwich without complaining, or that guy who claims he could never live without wheat. Gluten and related fragments may be getting through the intestinal lining in these people, but their immune systems mop them up pretty handily before they can do much damage. But what happens if their immune system is impaired, maybe because of a period of chronic stress or overtraining? What happens if their microbiomes are ravaged by antibiotics and poor diet and thereby absent the bacterial species necessary to fully degrade gluten? There’s no clinical trial tracking the effects of usually healthy people undergoing chronic stress or antibiotics on their sensitivity to gluten, but people are stressed, people are overworked, and their guts are messed up. It’s hurting our health in many different ways, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lot more undiagnosed gluten sensitivity out there because of it.It’s conceivable that gluten could be doing damage and causing constant, low-grade inflammation without you even knowing it. This is why folks who go Primal and give up wheat and other gluten-containing grains become more “sensitive” to wheat upon reintroduction. It’s not that going Primal has suddenly made them intolerant of gluten; it’s likelier that going Primal has made them more sensitive to their gluten sensitivity. It was probably always there, but they never knew what they were feeling until they removed it and then tried to reintroduce it."

Is paleo an 'all or nothing' thing, or is there any benefit to eating mostly paleo? I've been trying to it for a few weeks now, but I've been eating 90-95% paleo,. Since I don't have any real goals for eating paleo, I'm not terribly motivated to watch every thing I eat. I still enjoy starbucks latte a few times a week, and the occasional dessert.

I've been eating Paleo/Primal for about a week now. It's been an interesting journey thus far, and this past weekend, it made me realize that truly, I am not meant to eat grains or carbs or processed sugars!

Friday night I went out on a date. I figured this would be my "cheat" night, I wasn't going to worry about eating some carbs, or drinking. Well, let me tell you, I had the Hangover From Hell, and it wasn't just the excruciating headache, it was also wreaking havoc on my stomach. I felt so ill from the alcohol AND the carbs I ate. I'm finally feeling 100% today, whereas Saturday I slept nearly all day, and Sunday was only slightly better.

I'm so glad I made the change, and I won't make the same mistake I did Friday night. My tummy is also going to be happier!

I love bread, pasta, and all of the other carby goodies, but this thread has inspired me to "give up wheat" for Lent. I'm only a few days in and it is definitely a test of will. I try to fill up on meat, veggies, and good dairy, but I really don't feel any better. In fact, I feel more hungry and irritable. I'll going to try to stick with it for the next 35 days and hope things get better, but for me, I think I was born to eat bread and pasta.

On a positive note, I have found that I snack alot less since 90% of the "snack food" or easy-to-grab food is forboden for me. It's more work peeling a carrot or whatnot so I only snack when I'm actually hungry.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Dramapony...you are probably going through withdrawal from your wheat addition. No kidding...it is an opiate like substance in the wheat protein that you are craving. Here is an article off the Wheat Belly blog that might help.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/0...eat-addiction/

I've been doing this for 12 days. I haven't "cheated" at all. I am still incorporating dairy though, so I guess I'm more Primal....or else it's just a gluten-free and sugar-free diet. Let me tell you, there's something to this!! That whole "clear minded" thing is so true! I usually have to take Claritin all year round, I haven't felt my allergies pretty much this whole time and haven't had to take anything for them. My shoulders and joints have been killing me for quite awhile, especially at night and first thing out of bed- that's almost TOTALLY gone. I haven't dropped a huge amount, about 4 lbs but I do have on jeans that were too tight before. I feel really, really good eating this way. I can see a noticeable difference in weight gone in the belly area and people have already remarked that my face looks thinner even with that little bit of "lbs" . I'm a believer and hope I can stick to it, so far it hasn't been bad at all.
    Kerri

Good for you Kerri! So glad to hear you are doing that much better so fast! I tell people to just try it sincerely for 2 weeks and report back. The results can be astonishing.

Is paleo an 'all or nothing' thing, or is there any benefit to eating mostly paleo?
    well, of course there is a benefit. And nothing wrong with occasionally eating utter junk food. It's what you eat MOST of the time that matters.

I too think there's benefit to eating mostly paleo. If nine times out of ten you're replacing pasta or rice with zucchini or cauliflower, you're still making a real jump in veggie intake and reduction in refined carbs. I've noticed benefits from my pretty clean, if not total paleo, diet. Breakfast is my killer. I can't figure out what to eat since I don't like eggs that much, and the smell of veggies kind of grosses me out in the morning.

Help Paleo people, I need suggestions. So I've been gluten free for 10 years and corn free for six months because my baby is sensitive to it, recently went sugar free and am trying to do a Paleo thing.

Problem is I am always starving! my diet before wasn't bad and I'm not used to a grain based diet. I'm also always freezing cold now where I wasn't before. I am breastfeeding still so maybe just not getting enough calories? I feel like I'm eating constantly.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

I guess my other issue with the paleo diet is that it's simply not very sustainable, period. I see no one chimed in on my question about feeding it to kids - to be honest, I think they would be hungry and my grocery bill would be outrageous.
    I don't think they would be hungry- when you eat, what makes you feel full is the fat you consume. And Paleo, being a relatively high-fat diet, makes you feel full. If you've ever tried to be a vegetarian on a low-fat high-carb diet, now THAT you feel hungry on. It's the lack of fat. It has nothing to do with consuming grains or not; in general, grains actually make you hungrier. Try eating oatmeal for breakfast vs. eggs + bacon, and you'll be starving within 45 minutes from the oatmeal but the eggs + bacon will carry you until lunch.

As to cost, yes, buying quality produce and meat is going to be more expensive than buying cheap grains.

But so many children these days are overweight, and even obese, surely they at least should get off the grains?

An active, growing male teenager should need around 3,000 calories a day. On Paleo you want to get about half of your calories from meats and fish, so he'd need to eat around 1.5 pounds of meats per day.

If someone is having trouble sustaining their body weight on nothing but meats and vegetables, or is having trouble paying for all that meat, the thing to do is add more fruit and potatoes to the diet. I also see no problem with someone who is having trouble sustaining their body weight eating some grains. Like horses- most horses don't need grain, but some will get too skinny unless they get grain. Unless the ribs are showing, you put the grain away.

shouldn't you want to feed kids a diet packed with nutrition? they need more nutrients than adults, and most carb sources are rather devoid of nutrition. If you fill your kid up on grains, that means he's not eating enough nutrient-rich vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerbunny View Post
    Help Paleo people, I need suggestions. So I've been gluten free for 10 years and corn free for six months because my baby is sensitive to it, recently went sugar free and am trying to do a Paleo thing.

Problem is I am always starving! my diet before wasn't bad and I'm not used to a grain based diet. I'm also always freezing cold now where I wasn't before. I am breastfeeding still so maybe just not getting enough calories? I feel like I'm eating constantly.
    Add lots of fat! Avocados, nuts, coconut oil, olive oil, fatty meats, etc.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I am back on the Paleo/primal diet. I was on it this summer and felt GREAT! Was only taking 1 Advil/ day when I rode instead of four plus a Tramadol for my knee pain, that's how good I felt. I fell off of it when I tore up my "good" knee and started to feel sorry for myself. I am at the stage now where you feel like crap for a few days then it all turns around.
    I, like a lot of people, am trying to find stuff to eat for breakfast that isn't eggs. This morning I had homemade chicken soup with collard greens and that was ok. I will say when I first went back on it, I was always starving! I think the first week or so your body is just craving carbs so much that it is demanding that you feed it but if you stick with it, that goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    I will say when I first went back on it, I was always starving! I think the first week or so your body is just craving carbs so much that it is demanding that you feed it but if you stick with it, that goes away.
    "Good to know!" says I, while munching on carrot sticks and roasted garlic hummus.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

When I'm home over the weekends, I've been having smoothies for breakfast. I use frozen fruit to make it taste good and be cold, then add in healthy stuff. I've tried kale, spinach, and carrots, avocado, nuts, flax, and yogurt with good success, with either water or orange juice as the liquid. Bell peppers made it taste weird, and broccoli wouldn't grind up well, so I wouldn't suggest those. I'm not a huge vegetable fan, so it's great way to sneak them in without tasting anything.