The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

elanaspantry.com

her recipes are amazing.... I made her chocolate cake and its to DIE for.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Just wanted to share that as of today, and because of the awesome information in this thread, I'm going to cut out all wheat and grains from my diet. I don't need to lose weight, but I have suffered from varying degrees of digestive upset for years now, and I'm frankly tired of it and starting to be concerned for my long term health.

I'm not ready to give up dairy, as I've never seen a correlation between my consuming milk and cheese and any tummy troubles, so I'm going to start with no bread, pasta, crackers, etc. (And no pancakes on Sundays ) I don't do fast food or much pre-packaged food so that shouldn't be an issue.

You guys sent me in some great directions to do research and I feel like I've gotten enough good info to get me started. Thanks a bunch!!
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy
    Stash

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Just wanted to share that as of today, and because of the awesome information in this thread, I'm going to cut out all wheat and grains from my diet. I don't need to lose weight, but I have suffered from varying degrees of digestive upset for years now, and I'm frankly tired of it and starting to be concerned for my long term health.

I'm not ready to give up dairy, as I've never seen a correlation between my consuming milk and cheese and any tummy troubles, so I'm going to start with no bread, pasta, crackers, etc. (And no pancakes on Sundays ) I don't do fast food or much pre-packaged food so that shouldn't be an issue.

You guys sent me in some great directions to do research and I feel like I've gotten enough good info to get me started. Thanks a bunch!!
    Good luck! I have been Dairy/wheat/sugar free for 2 months now. I was similar - i started out no dairy and sugar and then worked out the wheat.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Today is day 2 of me following Paleo, although I am continuing to eat my Greek yogurt until I run out. I didn't really eat a TON of grains/breads/etc before, so it's a pretty easy transition for me. I was lactose intolerant as a child, and milk and ice cream has always upset me as an adult, so I plan on cutting all dairy out as well (I will miss you cheese!!). I am using this as a tool for more weight loss. I'm down 10lbs in the last two months, so I'm hoping this will help continue that trend.

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope you all realize you're basically on Atkins now! LOL Most people that are well into Atkins eat exactly like the Paleo model... and I consider all of it to be a very good blueprint for healthy eating. It's certainly a lot more accepted now than it used to be.

Yeah the only difference is that on Atkins all carbs are shunned, as far as I have heard. My dad did Atkins successfully and he was scared of carrots, corn, veggies and fruits with high carbs, etc. Sounded miserable!

They shun them at first but they're supposed to build them back in, if they follow the Atkins plan. A lot of people go no carb but that isn't what the Atkins plan ever recommended. I think the most general concept is less than 20 carbs for two weeks and then start adding them back in from there which really gives a pretty generous carb "allowance" . I read on lowcarbfriends.com all the time and most people eat just like we've been talking about here.

My personal trainer gave me a talk at my first session about being metabolically efficient, so I'm striving to get towards that goal he gave me. I am trying the Paleo thing for a week or two to see how I feel, otherwise I will just be eating like my PT suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Just wanted to share that as of today, and because of the awesome information in this thread, I'm going to cut out all wheat and grains from my diet.
    Awesome!!! This is why I share my story. I just talked to a woman I used to work with who started this lifestyle in December after seeing me for the first time in awhile. She is keeping to the lifestyle and feels amazing.

I don't think you have to cut out dairy products entirely. The problem with dairy products is the lactose which is a milk sugar. Aged cheese, fermented dairy and butter all have had their lactose broken down. All that remains is Casein. If you have a problem with casein you would know because it would have been a problem you had since childhood. The reason milk is prohibited on the SCD is because a compromised gut usually cannot break down lactose. This then leaves an abundant food supply of milk sugar undigested in the lower intestine feeding the bad bacteria. However, if you have the ability to break down lactose, then I see no reason to avoid it. In fact, after healing my gut, I have slowly regained my ability to digest lactose.

These diets are similar in a sense to Atkins. The big difference is there is no counting. You can eat as much of the allowed carbs you want. I regularly eat half a squash, cooked carrots, artichokes, brussel sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, and plenty of fruit. The carbs that are prohibited are high starch which become fuel for bad bacteria and result in extra sugar in the body.

Yes, on Paleo, you are not supposed to consume dairy products. I followed that rule for two years and just recently tried it again in small amounts. I can digest it better than before but interestingly, I seem a lot more congested (sinus) on it...so perhaps I'm not doing as well as I thought with the dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Big fat spoonful of Cod Liver Oil for the groovy Omega-3's. Lots of butter on everything!

Great info. at www.westonaprice.org.
    I have been working my way through a bottle of fermented cod liver oil from Green Pastures and it is very very beneficial. I have not been as diligent about taking it as I could be but I am really glad that I do. It makes me feel more alert and clear headed.

Doesn't the CLO have a lot of Vitamin D too? good stuff!

Yep, because of this thread, I too am going to cut out wheat. Just bought Wheat Belly last night!

Quote Originally Posted by altershmalter View Post
    Yep, because of this thread, I too am going to cut out wheat. Just bought Wheat Belly last night!
    You guys are inspiring! I also decided after following this that I was going to give it a try too. I'm on Day 2 (Big whoop right? lol) Yesterday was actually pretty easy too.. I think my plan to replace bad foods is just add more veggies! last night instead of rice with our fish, I added roasted spaghetti squash with our carrots as a side..everyone left the table just as full as if we had a pile of rice! And today, I brought the leftovers for lunch-lunch will be easy- just a big ole salad with oil and vinegar (which surprised me yesterday, I've always been one to load dressing on my salad and I really liked the oil/vinegar) or leftovers from the night before! I see this as being very do-able, not really that restrictive. Hopefully by the next Off Topic Day, I'll still be doing it ;-)
    Kerri

I think there are a lot of good ideas in the "paleo" type diets, but personally think they are pretty difficult to sustain if you have a family. Does anyone use a paleo diet with kids?

I think minimizing grains is a great idea; but many non-western cultures have eaten grains for centuries without the western problems of obesity & health issues...so I don't know that I am convinced that "grains" are the biggest issue v. preparation of the grains and quantity in a diet overall...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporthorse Shop View Post
    Awesome!!! This is why I share my story. I just talked to a woman I used to work with who started this lifestyle in December after seeing me for the first time in awhile. She is keeping to the lifestyle and feels amazing.

I don't think you have to cut out dairy products entirely. The problem with dairy products is the lactose which is a milk sugar. Aged cheese, fermented dairy and butter all have had their lactose broken down. All that remains is Casein. If you have a problem with casein you would know because it would have been a problem you had since childhood. The reason milk is prohibited on the SCD is because a compromised gut usually cannot break down lactose. This then leaves an abundant food supply of milk sugar undigested in the lower intestine feeding the bad bacteria. However, if you have the ability to break down lactose, then I see no reason to avoid it. In fact, after healing my gut, I have slowly regained my ability to digest lactose.

These diets are similar in a sense to Atkins. The big difference is there is no counting. You can eat as much of the allowed carbs you want. I regularly eat half a squash, cooked carrots, artichokes, brussel sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, and plenty of fruit. The carbs that are prohibited are high starch which become fuel for bad bacteria and result in extra sugar in the body.
    No need to cut out dairy at all if you consume RAW milk! The trouble with most dairy products accessible today is that the process of pasteurization, and most particularly ULTRA-pasturization, kills all the operative enzymes that allow you to digest it. What's left is an unnatural stew of rancid fats, cooked sugars (yes!) and the very troubling unnaturally small molecules of the powdered cholesterol they add back in to the 1% and 2% milk which you should NEVER drink. More information on the Weston A. Price site.

Fortunately, where I am it's legal to sell (State-inspected) raw milk straight from the farm. Mine has about 5" of cream on top that you can stand a spoon up in--and if there's anything better on Earth than a big bowl of blueberries drowned in raw cream, I ain't met it yet! So make the acquaintence of a friendly grass-fed cow!

It IS extremely important to get enough Vitamins A, D, and Calcium and dairy is still the best source. If you're betweeen 45 and 55, even MORE important. One thing most people don't know is that calcium is a FAT soluble mineral--meaning your body can only absorb it in the presence of fat such as is found in whole milk. You can eat calcium supplement pills until the cows come home; if you wash 'em down with orange juice and a piece of toast, you'll just pee it right out again unabsorbed.

It's all about eating WHOLE foods unadulterated by industrial processing insofar as that is possible in modern times.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love breads (homemade), and pasta, and cookies, and cake, and all of those great wheat-laden goodies. I don't know if I could ever go paleo (just like I know I could never be a vegetarian as I just love my meats way too much), but I'm considering giving up bread and pasta (and anything made from wheat flour) for lent. It's only 40days afterall, right?

I will still eat my oatmeal and rice, though.

Anyone have any good healthy wheat-alternative pasta suggestions? If I don't make some sort of pasta for 40 days, I think my husband will divorce me.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    I love breads (homemade), and pasta, and cookies, and cake, and all of those great wheat-laden goodies. I don't know if I could ever go paleo (just like I know I could never be a vegetarian as I just love my meats way too much), but I'm considering giving up bread and pasta (and anything made from wheat flour) for lent. It's only 40days afterall, right?

I will still eat my oatmeal and rice, though.

Anyone have any good healthy wheat-alternative pasta suggestions? If I don't make some sort of pasta for 40 days, I think my husband will divorce me.
    you can buy 'gluten free' pasta. 15 years or so ago, I think it was Jerusalem artichoke (which isn't an artichoke at all, but a tuberous sunflower) not sur what's on the market today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I'm intrigued by the idea of feeling better than what you thought was your normal/good.
    But as a vegetarian who doesn't tolerate much fat well this doesn't sound possible with most of the veggie protein sources banned.

There are so many different diet suggestions from so many sources--it's amazing that the medical community hasn't really converged on diet yet.

I was raised to have the "everything in moderation" attitude towards food. So, lots of veggies, fruit, a little bread, cheese, yogurt, and meat or fish 3 or 4 times a week.
    I don't tolerate lactose very well (have to fight with hubby NOT to put heavy cream in soup etc) but I've discovered almond milk and have been using it as a substitute in recipes.
    I never had any problems eating bread... before coming to the US. I was raised on fresh baguette or "country bread" from old-style bakeries and I would have a hard time dropping it completely from my diet. But I never was used to eating most US staple-foods such as breakfast cereals, bread-in-plastic etc. Those I can do without, no problems. Plus I don't typically even eat breakfast.
    Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the modern wheat we eat may be the culprit compared to the "heirloom" wheat variety. How do you know what you are eating tho? And where can you get "heirloom" (as in, Non-Monsanto) wheat products?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!